BvS Vote! Rank Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor in BvS

He was a Saturday morning cartoon villain. He'd fit in with the Shumacher Batman films and the terrible trio from TASM2.

I think Jesse could have been great if playing this more serious and corporate business Lex. He got lead down a cheesy kind of campy path though. :(

He was like a Batman '66 villain and that's never a good thing.

He was like a Batman '66 villain and that's never a good thing.

Or a 90's Riddler!

maxresdefault.jpg

Might not be a popular opinion here, but I hated his character.

Mnmnmnmmnmn.

Why no option for absolutely dreadful?

Mnmnnmmnmnmnmn. Mmnmnmnmmmnnmm.

He is one of those actors that has been given a role in a comic book movie that never realised that being over the top and campy doesn't work anymore.
A lot of you were in denial when he would give interviews.

Horrible. He made me wish for the hackman Lex.

Average. I don't think the problem was Eisenberg himself, he worked with what he got. The characterization was awful and he was terribly miscast, but if the character was written more in line with classic Lex, Eisenberg would have most likely got far more out from the role.

"Eisenberg has no idea how he fits into the pantheon of other Lex Luthors. “I’m so unfamiliar with anything surrounding it because I didn’t grow up reading the comics or watching these movies,” he said. “I read a little bit out of interest, but it was meaningless.”

This was the exact kind of cold indifference Snyder says he wanted. “He can’t fake it,” he says."

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/25/batman-v-superman-jimmy-olsen

Ugh.

Average. I don't think the problem was Eisenberg himself, he worked with what he got. The characterization was awful and he was terribly miscast, but if the character was written more in line with classic Lex, Eisenberg would have most likely got far more out from the role.

Classic Lex wouldn't have worked with the premise set up. I'll explain in detail when I get a chance.

love BvS. not only the heroes grow, the villain grows too. he will not show his good sides anymore in JL1.

One of the worst comic book movie villains of all-time; up there with the likes or Arnie's Mr. Freeze and that chick Sharon Stone played in Catwoman.

Last edited:
One of the worst comic book movie villains of all-time; up there with the likes or Arnie's Mr. Freeze and that chick Sharon Stone played in Catwoman.

DAMN!...but oh so right.

It was pretty terrible, but it wasn't really him. The portrayal of Lex encapsulates the problem with BvS in general, which is that whoever had control of this thing didn't have faith in the characters or the mythos. Instead of making a cold, calculating Lex who had a philosophy that many could agree with, they opted once again to make the villain the comic relief. The wacky scientist with a personal grudge. The creators didn't have faith that viewers were ready for a complex serious minded villain who also happened to be part of comic book lore. They make Oscar worthy dramas all the time, but they couldn't see the potential in these archetypes?

In this way, it's like WB is fumbling around in the dark.... just not aware of who their audience is or what the value is of their source material. Yes... they had Nolan, who was given a lot of directorial control and made great dramas, but, outside of that, there's just not much indication that WB knows what makes a good comic book movie from a bad one.

Eisenberg could have been a great Lex. He gave a solid performance based on what he had... I guess. The problem was the script. Instead of a maniacal self obsessed xenophobe who cared only for his own power and corporate profits, we got a tool with daddy issues who was twisted by some unknown outside force, basically to the point of insanity. It's discouraging that the creators couldn't see why that would have been a problem.

Bad. Literally hated everything about him.

For the life of me, I have no idea how they were sitting there watching the dailies and thinking, "Golly, this is a great characterization for Lex ****ing Luthor."

Last edited:
This Lex had more daddy issues than an episode of Maury Povich.

sXLt1I.gif

Awful in every way. A cringe-worthy characterization and performance.

Terrible. Definitely one of the worst comic book movie villains. Reminds me a little of TASM2 Electro (before he got his powers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"