• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Wahlberg, Berg Set for Drug Dealer Biopic

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=41067

Source: Variety
January 18, 2008

Paramount has set Mark Wahlberg to star in and Peter Berg (Hancock, The Kingdom) to direct an untitled film based on the life of international drug dealer Jon Roberts, whose rise and fall was chronicled in the documentary Cocaine Cowboys.

According to Variety, Film 44's Berg and Sarah Aubrey will produce with Wahlberg and Stephen Levinson, both of whom are executive producers of HBO's "Entourage." Roberts' rights are part of the package, and a writer will be set once the strike ends.

After returning from Vietnam as a decorated soldier, Roberts headed to Miami in the late '70s and formed a relationship with the Medellin drug cartel, distributing cocaine worth billions of dollars. Wahlberg will play Roberts, who was turned in by a cohort and served a decade in jail for his crimes.

Sounds pretty cool....Wahlberg and Berg could be a real good combination.

Medellin Gangster.

I like the movie's idea, looks like another intersting crime biopic.

I wish American Gangster was at lease 50% true (it was a really outstanging film, but after several researches had been made, it was proved that movie isn't actually based on the real events).

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/leo-and-marky-mark-are-coke-heads-4026

Leo and Marky Mark are coke heads

Date: February 27, 2008

By: George 'El Guapo' Roush
Source: Page Six

In the 'Can't have enough cocaine movies' dept. comes this news from Page Six:

Mark Wahlberg will play the drug kingpin Jon Roberts in the remake of the 2006 documentary Cocaine Cowboys, which chronicles the story of the largest cocaine trafficker in Miami in the 1970s and 1980s, and he's persuaded Leonardo DiCaprio to play the supporting role.
This would be the third film that the pair has been in together. Mark, 36, and Leo, 33, starred in 1995's The Basketball Diaries and most recently in 2006's The Departed.

The untitled flick "will blow Blow out of the water," says a movie insider who added that Leo "is excited about the opportunity to play the airplane pilot who travels with Mark's character to obtain kilos of cocaine from Pablo Escobar."

(Leo's camp denies that the actor has signed on for the film. "This is completely false," his rep tells PageSix.com.)

My favorite part of this article is Page Six saying it's true and Leo's people telling Page Six it isn't. Let's work it out people!

Wahlberg and Dicaprio? Count me in.

amazing cast....i'll keep updated on this

The title of this movie should be "American Gangster 2".

No, American Gangster 3.

American Gangster 2 aka PUBLIC ENEMIES starring Johnny Depp in Denzels role and Christian Bale in Crowes role with Michael Mann in Ridley Scotts role....starts shooting n 2 weeks.

^ oh yeah, i forgot about that movie. didn't know about the shooting date, though.

No, American Gangster 3.

American Gangster 2 aka PUBLIC ENEMIES starring Johnny Depp in Denzels role and Christian Bale in Crowes role with Michael Mann in Ridley Scotts role....starts shooting n 2 weeks.

I'm looking forward to Public Enemies a lot more, but this one sounds interesting too.

Depp/Bale beats Wahlberg/Dicaprio :grin:

since this is based on that documentary from 2006.

they better ask Jan Hammer to score this movie.

Its based in Miami, and Jan Hammer perfectly captured the sound of this era in his score for the documentary.

Jan already got shafted once by not being asked to score Miami Vice.

They better ask him to do this.

I am getting more and more excited about this movie! :up:

Wonder if this would effect the film?

Jerry Bruckheimer and Michael Bay Adapting Cocaine Cowboys Into HBO Series?

Posted on Tuesday, May 6th, 2008 at 12:25 pm by: Hunter Stephenson

I just got off the phone with cool Miami-based film producer, Alfred Spellman, in an attempt to get some concrete information about Jerry Bruckheimer and Michael Bay adapting his and director Billy Corben’s acclaimed ‘06 documentary, Cocaine Cowboys, into a new dramatic series for HBO and Warner Bros. You see, last night Variety published a very loose news item announcing that such an A-list project could be in the works with said talent. Spellman didn’t reveal much, but I did get him to admit he was siked. Go me. As he should be. His company, Rakontur, has Cocaine Cowboys 2: Hustlin’ with the Godmother due in June from Magnolia, and, as we previously reported, a feature film adaptation of CC is in the works from director Peter Berg with Mark Wahlberg set to star (and Leonardo DiCaprio involved in some capacity).

The mind races thinking about Bay and Bruckheimer being hands on with an ’80s period, Vice City-set HBO series filled with drugs, hot (hot, and hot) cars, South Beach trim, Escobar offspring, and gunplay. Alongside Showtime’s Weeds and AMC’s Breaking Bad, this series would complete TV’s drug diet. Variety reports that no writer is currently attached, but adds that Bay and Bruckheimer have been circling the project for quite a while. More on this if and when it develops…

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=41067

Source: Variety
January 18, 2008

Paramount has set Mark Wahlberg to star in and Peter Berg (Hancock, The Kingdom) to direct an untitled film based on the life of international drug dealer Jon Roberts, whose rise and fall was chronicled in the documentary Cocaine Cowboys.

According to Variety, Film 44's Berg and Sarah Aubrey will produce with Wahlberg and Stephen Levinson, both of whom are executive producers of HBO's "Entourage." Roberts' rights are part of the package, and a writer will be set once the strike ends.

After returning from Vietnam as a decorated soldier, Roberts headed to Miami in the late '70s and formed a relationship with the Medellin drug cartel, distributing cocaine worth billions of dollars. Wahlberg will play Roberts, who was turned in by a cohort and served a decade in jail for his crimes.

Sounds awesome. Sounds interesting.

I don't think so, Donnie. They're surely being released at completely different times, right?

Yeah I would assume. I mean this one is already in the works at least, the film hasn't even got off the ground.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=47131

Evan Wright Penning Cocaine Cowboys
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
July 24, 2008

Gonzo journalist-screenwriter Evan Wright, who wrote the nonfiction book on which the HBO miniseries "Generation Kill" is based, has closed a deal to write the feature Cocaine Cowboys for Paramount.

Mark Wahlberg and Peter Berg have been attached to star in and direct, respectively, the story of Jon Roberts, an injured Vietnam vet by age 20 who ended up involved in gangland takeovers of New York City nightclubs in the early '70s (his uncle was the consigliere to Carlo Gambino). By the end of the decade, Roberts landed in Miami, dealt billions of dollars worth of coke for the Medellin drug cartel and ultimately spent 10 years in prison.

Billy Corben's popular documentary of the same name, released by Magnolia in 2006, covered a slice of Roberts' history.

Berg and Film 44 cohort Sarah Aubrey are producing with Wahlberg and "Entourage" executive producer Stephen Levinson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"