Wakanda: Why the controversy?

I hope they do a lot of good world-building with Wakanda. It's a really cool concept; an African nation that has developed to a Japan-level (or greater) degree of advanced industrialization, and has done so with zero European colonization. Whereas other fictional comic book countries and cities can be seen as parallels to ones in the real world, Wakanda really is unique and has no peer on our planet. That's such a rich concept to draw from, I wish I could be a writer on this project.

I do hope their designs of Wakanda have a nice balance of tech and nature. Hope the textures and design patterns aren't Eurocentric either.

I do hope their designs of Wakanda have a nice balance of tech and nature. Hope the textures and design patterns aren't Eurocentric either.

I hope they have 1 or 2 academic experts on African history, anthropology or archeology on staff as creative consultants for this film. They have the opportunity to build such a wonderful fictional society, and they need to balance the fantastic with the credible.

I hope they have 1 or 2 academic experts on African history, anthropology or archeology on staff as creative consultants for this film. They have the opportunity to build such a wonderful fictional society, and they need to balance the fantastic with the credible.

The screenwriter said they're using consultants to make sure they create a Wakandan Culture that's both familiar but unique.

They have to really get creative with Wakanda. It should look like a hybrid of Kenyan safaris, Ugandan villages, planet Coruscant metropolis and the lush wonderment of planet Naboo....and there you have Wakanda.

They have to really get creative with Wakanda. It should look like a hybrid of Kenyan safaris, Ugandan villages, planet Coruscant metropolis and the lush wonderment of planet Naboo....and there you have Wakanda.

I agree with you up until that last part. I do not want some annoying fish-man showing up. That could be a destructive source so powerful it would retroactively erase the entire MCU. Seriously, we'll all go back to our Blu-rays and find out that Tony Stark is being played by Ron Jeremy.

I agree with you up until that last part. I do not want some annoying fish-man showing up. That could be a destructive source so powerful it would retroactively erase the entire MCU. Seriously, we'll all go back to our Blu-rays and find out that Tony Stark is being played by Ron Jeremy.
Good thing Namor isn't in it then since he's the only fish-man they have and he's tied up in some film rights entanglement.

Pretty sure he meant the surface of Naboo lol

I kind of hope it's like Dubai and Japan have an environmentally conscious baby.

By selling the minute amounts of Vibranium they can finance education, and social programs to aid in their country's growth. They tend to make sure that any large construction they finance blends in to their surroundings and has minimal impact on the ecosystem but like someone else said is say 15 minutes in the future.

They maintain traditional values and supplement with new research to further what they know, and they stay somewhat hidden to keep them off of others radar.

I kind of hope it's like Dubai and Japan have an environmentally conscious baby.

By selling the minute amounts of Vibranium they can finance education, and social programs to aid in their country's growth. They tend to make sure that any large construction they finance blends in to their surroundings and has minimal impact on the ecosystem but like someone else said is say 15 minutes in the future.

They maintain traditional values and supplement with new research to further what they know, and they stay somewhat hidden to keep them off of others radar.

Also, vibranium in the MCU appears to be the basis of a clean energy source. So basically you've got a country that's had the equivalent of practical cold fusion for generations. No need to oil, coal or natural gas, and no need to pave over every ounce of natural habitat for the necessary infrastructure.

Thrown in some Dubai, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Abuja and Planet Naboo...a bit of sim city...Add some serious jungle bush to this thing; shake it, stir it and voila!
Hotel-Dubai-7.jpg

the-palace-downtown-dubai.jpg

original.jpg

Tokyo-city-and-Mount-Fuji.jpg

WinkOfAnEye.jpg

Panorama_Hongkong_Peak.jpg

SimCity4.png

SimCity-Cities-of-Tomorrow-Announce-Teaser-Trailer-Thumb1.png

Naboo-Lake_Country.jpg

Naboo-ROTJ.jpg

Someone get this over to Coogler and his production designer!

Last edited:
From the sounds of it, Coogler and the crew exceeded expectations with the look and feel of Wakanda. The most pleasing part is reading/hearing so many people say that Wakanda is clearly FAR more advanced than the rest of the world.

Looking back at this thread 2 years later, I'm still wondering wtf we were exactly debating lol.

Anyway I hope the new trailer has reassured anyone that was apprehensive about Wakandas portrayal.

Love what I saw so far. All made sense within the context of the MCU. Can't wait!

The people complaining about controversy in this film are wayyyyyyyyyyy more than the actual people causing controversy. Goes a long way to show how you Americans search for excuses to get riled up.

The people complaining about controversy in this film are wayyyyyyyyyyy more than the actual people causing controversy. Goes a long way to show how you Americans search for excuses to get riled up.

How did you reach this conclusion?

I'm guessing anecdotal "research".

How did i reach this conclusion? That you Americans are overly sensitive about racial or social issues to the point of nitpicking and stiring trouble out of everything?

Lol, the whole world has reached to that conclusion my friend.

How did i reach this conclusion? That you Americans are overly sensitive about racial or social issues to the point of nitpicking and stiring trouble out of everything?

There's actually a pro black back lash from militant black vloggers.

Why can't we just all enjoy this. :/

There's actually a pro black back lash from militant black vloggers.

Why can't we just all enjoy this. :/

I think that would have been the case with those types no matter what. The African tribal influences in the film seem to be the focus, yet I guarantee you if they had depicted Wakanda as being like a super modern Western influenced country or dialed it up to Star Trek styled clean lines, like an Apple product deal those same folk would complain about the lack of any traditional looking Pan-African influences.

You said the people complaining about controversy were more numerous than the people causing the controversy.

Sorry but that's a baseless claim with zero data to back it up.

Also complaining about racism is better than complacency normalizing it.

And now militant blacks are the problem.

Yeah, I'm sure that's the vast majority of people attacking the Black Panther trailer. :whatever:

Yeah, I'm sure that's the vast majority of people attacking the Black Panther trailer. :whatever:

I think people are missing that I started this thread because of pretty heated arguments that were occurring ON THE HYPE IN THE BP THREADS about how to depict Wakanda. It was eating up a lot of space at the time. This wasn't about the wider audience it was about us as posters in these threads having some lengthy disagreements about Wakanda's aesthetic, level of tech, rationalizing it's history, politics etc.

I've spent the last 2 days looking at every reaction and review of the BP trailer and the only negativity I've seen are from poorly researched angry militant black vloggers.

There not "the problem" because there such a small minority and there arguments are so dumb, It won't even be a factor. There about as relevant as the people that tried to boycott Starwars over a black Storm trooper.

I've spent the last 2 days looking at every reaction and review of the BP trailer and the only negativity I've seen are from poorly researched angry militant black vloggers.

There not "the problem" because there such a small minority and there arguments are so dumb, It won't even be a factor. There about as relevant as the people that tried to boycott Starwars over a black Storm trooper.

What are they angry about and why are you the only one spotting them everywhere?

What are they angry about and why are you the only one spotting them everywhere?

They're angry because they're stupid to be quite honest. A bunch of nonsense about characters carrying spears and the character with the lip plate.

And you REALLY gotta go digging for negativity to even find those vids. Only reason I even came across one of them is because of other people mocking them.

Around these parts the only negativity seems to be coming from one person in multiple threads.

Erm I didn't say I was seeing them "everywhere" ?

I found them accidentally through recommended vids on youtube. I already stated there voices are too small to be relevant.

There only really coming from 2 sources that I'm not going to mention as I don't want to give them any more publicity.

But there generally *****ing about Black Panther being a white mans creation and how we should not put our money towards it, and how it misrepresents African culture.

Just a bunch of BS. I'm glad you haven't heard anything about them yet because that means there stupid attempts to bring this movie down is failing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"