Wakanda: Why the controversy?

Erm I didn't say I was seeing them "everywhere" ?

I found them accidentally through recommended vids on youtube. I already stated there voices are too small to be relevant.

There only really coming from 2 sources that I'm not going to mention as I don't want to give them any more publicity.

But there generally *****ing about Black Panther being a white mans creation and how we should not put our money towards it, and how it misrepresents African culture.

Just a bunch of BS. I'm glad you haven't heard anything about them yet because that means there stupid attempts to bring this movie down is failing.

Aloha,
While the character was created by Lee and Kirby, the longest running writer was Christopher Priest.Cooglar seems to have really done his homework and presented Wakanda as the True El Dorado( City of Gold).The costume designer has been interviewed and stated that they wanted to blend several African cultures into the fashion of Wakanda.If you think the bigots had an issue with Idris playing Heimdahl, believe me, when this movie breaks all kinds of records, that same crowd will be besides themselves.Wakanda is a beacon of anti colonialism. Can't wait to see the movie
Spidey rules except in Wakanda

Yeah, I just read through this thread again and I can't help but laugh. Nearly everything that some people claimed the general audience wouldn't buy was present in the trailer. Some said the explanation for how they've kept their tech secret needed to be handled very carefully, but the trailer did it with three words :funny:

There were also a few people that were concerned about the film drawing from Hudlin's run, and unfortunately for those people the film does appear to be doing that. Shuri, the Dora Milaje outfits, and Wakanda being technologically advanced for centuries are all from Hudlin's run.

So yeah, Wakanda being translated almost directly from the comics, being very advanced, and isolated were not a bridge too far for audiences. Virtually everyone that saw that glimpse of Wakanda in the trailer just thought it looked cool and they wanted to see more.

I'm just a guy with an opinion. The way y'all react you'd think I had power to change something. [BLACKOUT]I don't.[/BLACKOUT] I only argued my own concerns, I don't believe I made any claims to what the audience would or would not accept (I may be wrong but I don't care to re-read this thread.)

I like the blending of El Dorado and Wakanda. It works solely because both are fictional, hidden cities with long histories obscured by myth and legend. Wakanda looked nothing like Tokyo or Abu Dahbi, choosing to not flaunt their wealth and shedding the bright lights of western style capitalism for a more traditional, yet advanced aesthetic. While we only saw a brief glimpse of a piece of the city, it seemed rather small in comparison to a typical metropolis (smaller is better when trying to hide). Wakanda seems to have kept intruders out by providing a false front rather than featuring a robust military with highly advanced technology. There was one flying machine and not a fleet of flying cars (so far at least). The biggest problem with being a highly advanced, yet hidden, city is how obvious can you be with the technology before it becomes too much of a burden on the story (floating buildings and a talking raccoon is easier to accept in space than in Wakanda.) I think the tweaks that were made addressed many of the concerns I had.

While it seems some of you exaggerate the arguments of those you disagree with, I know what I was asking for and what I have seen is not far off. This thread was made in response to me and on that note not a single argument advanced in this thread changed my opinion at all. Congratulations, this thread is a virtual waste of space.

I'm quite happy with what we received and I'll restate that I trust Marvel to change the source material where necessary to make their world work.

I'm sorry some of you got so upset when I played with your toys the wrong way. [BLACKOUT]But not really.[/BLACKOUT]

Yeah, I just read through this thread again and I can't help but laugh. Nearly everything that some people claimed the general audience wouldn't buy was present in the trailer. Some said the explanation for how they've kept their tech secret needed to be handled very carefully, but the trailer did it with three words :funny:

There were also a few people that were concerned about the film drawing from Hudlin's run, and unfortunately for those people the film does appear to be doing that. Shuri, the Dora Milaje outfits, and Wakanda being technologically advanced for centuries are all from Hudlin's run.

So yeah, Wakanda being translated almost directly from the comics, being very advanced, and isolated were not a bridge too far for audiences. Virtually everyone that saw that glimpse of Wakanda in the trailer just thought it looked cool and they wanted to see more.

I have to laugh at the idea people wouldn't accept Wakanda after seeing a two movies starring a talking space raccoon.

I have to laugh at the idea people wouldn't accept Wakanda after seeing a two movies starring a talking space raccoon.

Talking, cybernetic space raccoon and a talking tree? Sure.

An African nation with Tony Stark level tech? Now that's just silly. :whatever:

Couldn't help but bump this thread. It's a fun time capsule and looking back at some of the assumptions and fears are hilarious when you consider how well received this movie has been so far.

Dumbing down Wakanda would've been a terrible, unnecessary idea.

Dumbing down Wakanda would've been a terrible, unnecessary idea.

Yup, like myself and others said long ago, the concept of Wakanda is powerful and resonates with a lot of people. Changing it would have completely undermined some of the core themes of the mythos and the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"