Walt Disney acquires Lucasfilm

StarWars_blog.jpg

It doesn't specify whether the distribution rights for Episodes I-VI are staying at Fox, or whether Lucasfilm brought them to Disney as part of the deal.

Speaking of the older movies, will Fox be part of the 3D re-releases of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith for next year? Or will Disney take over?

Some questions need to be answered.

Whoa, talk about left field news! I'm incredibly excited! Star Wars is the godfather of my geekdom.

I'm even a fan of the prequels (well mostly ROTS). But even I admit that having Lucas as a creative consultant and not director or writer is very positive.

The Walt Disney Company announced today it has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm and is planning Star Wars Episode 7 for 2015! In a conference call, Disney revealed that they are planning a new trilogy starting in 2015 with a new movie coming every other year. This is following such big purchases as Pixar and Marvel Entertainment.

jack-nicholson-nodding.gif

Why do I get the feeling that Lucas has caved to negative fan reaction to the prequels and the constant tinkering of the OT?

Lead Cenobite, I don't think that's what it was. I think Lucas has had a good relationship with Disney over the years and he wanted to cash out and retire and he gets to retire richer and still gets to have a hand in things as a "creative consultant."

Plus it gives stability for the studio, more cash for the coffers and all that.

Seriously, Disney now have Marvel, Pixar and Lucasfilms. That's pretty sick.

YES! I am thrilled with this news. Bring on some quality Star Wars films, Disney!

How long until a Deadpool vs Boba Fett crossover series?

holy ****!!!

There's going to be an Episode 7!!!!????

I wonder if it will follow the Solo children.........

This is indeed shocking. I always felt that Star Wars fits under the Disney banner than any other studio. I wonder how this will affect the first 6 films that are under Fox's distribution and the Clone Wars series that are on WB's Cartoon Network.

As for the new trilogy of Episodes 7-9, I hope they bring in the original trilogy cast as it will most likely take place after Return of the Jedi. I wonder if the planned Star Wars TV series will happen or not.

Love hearing Lucas talk about leaving the/his Star Wars movie universe over in other people's hands, so that they can have a home and live on without him. I don't know, it just felt warm hearing that.

crazy news!

is this buy out on Star Wars only, or is Indiana Jones included as well seeing as how it's part of Lucasfilm also?

HOLY ****! That came out of nowhere!

crazy news!

is this buy out on Star Wars only, or is Indiana Jones included as well seeing as how it's part of Lucasfilm also?

They said in the conference call according to other sources that Indy is included, as is ILM. Probably LucasArts also.

crazy news!

Everything.

ILM, Lucasarts, Lucasfilm, Skywalker Sound. The whole thing.

The question that remains that some have already asked is, what does this mean for Fox and its distribution/holder rights to Episodes 1-6?

Everything.

ILM, Lucasarts, Lucasfilm, Skywalker Sound. The whole thing.

The question that remains that some have already asked is, what does this mean for Fox and its distribution/holder rights to Episodes 1-6?

good chance that episodes 1-6 still pertain to Fox

anything outside of that is all Disney now though

good chance that episodes 1-6 still pertain to Fox

anything outside of that is all Disney now though
See I'm not sure about that. Lucasfilm has majority rights on those films and now Disney owns it.

Remember Fox only has distribution rights and I'm sure those eventually expire and need to be renewed.

I don't think so, they bought the Star Wars franchise, it may be joint, but I think they will control 1-6.

Maybe to those that liked the preuquels. But to everyone else I'd say it's a good day lol.
I liked the prequels, but this is a good day for me too, it's seems too good to be true

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"