WandaVision WandaVision SPOILERS Thread

There should totally an advertisement for a breakfast cereal called “Than-O’s”, with the O’s being in the different colors of the Infinity Stones, and “Now 50% less sugar!” labeled on the box. And the commercial slogan should be, “Part of a perfectly balanced breakfast, as all things should be”. Have there also be a prize to collect 6 different items or coupons to win a special prize.

Also, entirely narrated by Josh Brolin in typical commercial voiceover.
Ooohhh. That one's also really good. I like that.

There should totally an advertisement for a breakfast cereal called “Than-O’s”, with the O’s being in the different colors of the Infinity Stones, and “Now 50% less sugar!” labeled on the box. And the commercial slogan should be, “Part of a perfectly balanced breakfast, as all things should be”. Have there also be a prize to collect 6 different items or coupons to win a special prize.

giphy-26.gif

Ooohhh. That one's also really good. I like that.

Don't forget the commercial of Snapped, an brand of candy being narrated by Robert Downey Jr to represent the infinity gauntlet snap, that he did at the end of Avengers: Endgame

You my friend, are either in advertising and marketing, or should very much consider a career in one!

Brilliant!!!

This is awesome and would fit well in either the 90s or 00s episode.

I'm loving this.

Damn, we’ve got some geniuses here! :D Loving catching up on this discussion above and looking forward to watching the rest of the series with you guys. :up:

A lot of lines hinting at the wider conspiracy.

At the talent show in Ep2:

Wanda: I can’t tell you everything
Woman: I knew you’d say that

devil in the details has to be referring to mephisto, right?

Finally got around to watching. I loved it. I'm glad they premiered these two episodes together, it gives us a lot to speculate about in between. Olsen and Bettany have great chemistry.

Yes it was smart to put the two black and white eps together in the premiere. A week apart and people would think the whole series is black and white.

Should be. 50's, 60's, then 70's. Episode 4 should be Family Ties/Full House (80's). Then Roseanne (90's). I don't know about after that...

I think Friends/The Office (00s) would be the last of the sitcom-style episodes.

The teaser from yesterday where Wanda says "yeah, I'm not sure what that's about" to the camera seems very Modern Family to me.
I remember hearing Family Ties, Friends and Modern Family as inspirations.

You’re a genius.

Paul and Liz are carrying this on their backs with their charm. Bravo.

Gonna do a "live" review format like I was doing for Mando.
Let's get started...

1. I'm no Marvel Stan but... It is nice to see that opening logo and fanfare again.

2. The sitcom stuff here... Is a little more ominous than I was thinking. It's not just "Hahahaha" all the time just yet which I like a lot. It feels more like a Twilight Zone story in a way. You are not really buying the sitcom setting at face value anyway so it loses the comedy affect but ramps up the "What the hell is actually going on" vibe. So... Points for that.

3. I hope I'm wrong but I am feeling so far that Wanda is the only "real" person of the duo. Maybe I'm wrong. Vision seems much more like and "echo" of who he was. Well... We'll see I guess.

4. Agnes... From the jump she knows something as she's asking questions and interestingly not getting the answers I think she was expecting. She thought Wanda was single. Why? Again... Is Vis real? Was he part of the plans of whomever is doing this to Wanda in the first place? Like... Is Vis Wanda's fantasy that is ****ing up some other fantasy someone has imposed on her?

5. It is interesting that Wanda has ZERO traces of her accent. A choice or was Olsen tired of doing it/getting crap for the inconsistency she's shown?

6. Toast Mate... Red light. Okay... Putting that down under "Clues".

7. Interesting that they both know they have powers. As they were when we last saw them in the field with the Avengers, though there are differences for sure. Wanda is a full on sitcom witch/magician. Vison seems to still have his intelligence and seemingly most of his other powers. But all else is blank. The job Vis has I think will come into play. So much talk of "computation" and if Vis is real then I think someone or something is trying to harness his mind in some way.

8. The "Humor" is... It's bad, or would be outside of the narrative. It's grating but as it plays into our mystery so far I'm willing to tolerate it. The issue so far already is... Man is there A LOT of this sitcom premise front loaded here. Again... I get it. The mystery will unfold.

9. Again... Vision seems almost under Wanda's command. The order to help the boss character seemed like he would not have done anything without her prompting. Maybe I'm wrong.

All in all... Not great but it was all set up. Here is the mystery premise, how did our protags get there is part of the story and so far no one we are familiar with is in on what's happening. Well done but... I can't say this premiere grabbed me too tightly. I wanna see what the big explanation is but... As a start it was servicable but not super engaging.

1. Okay... It is something to see the "married" Wanda and Vision in two beds which was the sersiously demented view of marriage that was pretty common on American TV for a long period of time. Some of the younger folk might not realize but even growning up with the sitcom reruns of older shows in the 80's this presentation of married life was all over TV until maybe the end of the 1980's. I mean... It's just so silly, isn't it? Did some married couples do that? Yeah... But it being as common place and ubiquitious as was shown on sitcoms from the 50's and early 60's is just laugable. Such strange views on things like sexual relations we used to have way back when.

2. Who ever is in charge of their reality keeps giving them motivations to use their powers it seems. If they are in a fantasia, or at least Wanda is, I would think it incredibly dangerous to allow beings with Wanda and Visions inherent abilities to continue to have access to them. Either neutering their powers was out of their league or they want them to have them for some reason.

3. Jesus... I'm getting denser as I get older... It's right there in the title...

WandaVision.... Like... Televison. Making me REALLY think Vis isn't there and it's all on Wanda. It took that title sequence to make it clear to me.

4. "This is our home now... I want us to fit in..." Well... That's not filled with ominous meaning. Did Wanda CHOOSE this in some way?

5. SWORD copter. In... Stark or Vis' colors? Okay... Another "clue". If this is related to SWORD though... Is MCU SWORD gonna be about Earth defense from aliens or is it just the inheritor of SHIELD's old duties? And of course this begs... Does Fury fit into this somehow?

6. Getting flashbacks to the Intelligencia story from the Hulk with Reed, Doom etc. all being trapped in a simulation. I am thinking quite a few of their neighbors are in the same boat as our duo.

7. A minor quibble of mine but... The MCU does seem to often just run from depicting things as they were in our historical past when it come to some touchy subjects. Yes... Black Panther definitely took on questions of race and racism, and yes, Agent Carter for sure did the same with issues of misogyny and feminism. Still... One way for sure to tell that this is a fantasia of 1950's America is that there are so many people of color integrated into the supporting cast with nary a word about it. It feels... Ahistorical if you will, given how much civil rights was a big issue at the time. But I am betting that plays into the reality of our two heroes' situation.

8. My buddy Jeremy thought it was the voice of Quicksilver on the radio... Now that I'm seeing it... I don't know... No accent. Didn't sound like the actor either. It does seem like these other people are under some kind of influence and not just simulations. Could be they all are feeling Wanda and Vis out to see if they are in on whatever situation they all find themselves in.

9. Is it me or is it the same "couple" in this eps commerical for Strucker watches (Hail Hydra) as the toaster one from the last ep? SWORD, Strucker, Stark... Breadcrumbs galore. What's it add up too though? Also... how are we supposed to take these ads? In joke? As breadcrumbs to the mystery? Are Wanda or Vison "seeing" these in some way?

10. There's some kind of Matrix thing going on here. There's no reason for gum of all things to mess up Vis unless what we are seeing is like the Matrix and the "gum" was more like the representation of something like a computer virus or some command that made his fantasy avatar go coo-coo.

11. The theme of "for the children" is another... "Hmmm" isn't it? And then POOF, Wanda is preggers?

12. Bee Keepers? Okay... They just mooned us, or at least all of us familar with Marvel Comics...

A.I.M. Advanced Idea Mechanics. The Techno offshoot of Hydra. And... Wanda has a lot more influence and control here than I assumed from the jump.

Okay... Number two knocked out and... Not changing how I feel too much. It is still very early in the story and this is all still set up. And... It's still not quite grabbing me. I'm interested to see where it goes and how it resolves but not in a "OMG, I can't wait until the next one" way.

Still... It begs questions and so far I do want to see what the answers are.

I agree with KRYPTON INC., some of the sitcom material is very ominous in a Twin Peaks/David Lynch kind of way. There's something very off about this whole world. Something off, dark, and sinister. And what's also scary is that some of it seems to be coming from Wanda herself.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm detecting a very underlying feeling of dread for all this. Either that, or I feel a great sense of dread from what's happening. And my gut tells me that Wanda is willfully a part of it. Like I don't think all of this that's happening is her doing, but she is at least partially going along with it and wasn't completely forced into it.

Keep in mind, valid reasoning or not, she and her brother volunteered to be guinea pigs for HYDRA. And even if it was out of a sense of revenge for their past trauma, HYDRA is still a Nazi organization. Wanda might be a good person at heart, but she has a dark side. She always has, and we've seen what happens when her anger is pushed. I feel like Wanda wants to keep living this beautiful dream and she doesn't want to wake up from it. When she sees elements trying to invade, she tries to block them out.

Some of the show also reminds me of Twin Peaks. Not overtly, but just how in Twin Peaks David Lynch was symbolically showing the darker side of smalltown American suburbia. Sort of exposing its facade and showing the creepy crawlers and dark seedy nature underneath at all.

Also, when it looks like the facade of Wanda's idealized TV show life starts to break down, it gives me this creeped out feeling.

Saw someone post this somewhere. Was the wallpaper actually like this in the show or is this photoshopped? I definitely didn't notice it while watching.
CM8G6fG.png

Some behind the scenes. At 0:23 I recognize Wonder Man clearly on the left, and a panel of Dr. Strange delivering one of the twins and showing him to Vision in the bottom right. Does anyone recognize anything else?

That's the Strucker Hydra base from AoU, yes?

I'm convinced that the "commercials" are Wanda's memories. The Stark toaster representing the Stark bomb that killed her parents. And of course, the Strucker watch representing her imprisonment at Struckers base. And I think the couple in the commercials may be her parents.

I think the burnt toast represents her parents...

I wonder if the lobsters are a reference to the Mutant Lobsters in FALLEN ANGELS?

not sure if this has been mentioned -

at the beginning of the "Bewitch" style credits for ep 2 there's a moon and then SIX stars appear around it, I assume those are the Infinity Stones...

I agree with KRYPTON INC., some of the sitcom material is very ominous in a Twin Peaks/David Lynch kind of way. There's something very off about this whole world. Something off, dark, and sinister. And what's also scary is that some of it seems to be coming from Wanda herself.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm detecting a very underlying feeling of dread for all this. Either that, or I feel a great sense of dread from what's happening. And my gut tells me that Wanda is willfully a part of it. Like I don't think all of this that's happening is her doing, but she is at least partially going along with it and wasn't completely forced into it.
That feeling of dread is exactly what I was hoping for and they do it quite well. It really captures that same feeling as Tom King's Vision, even if the reasons for the feeling are a bit different here.

That's the Strucker Hydra base from AoU, yes?
Yes it is. Though as I said I saw someone post it but haven't had the time to go back and confirm for myself it's actually there.

not sure if this has been mentioned -

at the beginning of the "Bewitch" style credits for ep 2 there's a moon and then SIX stars appear around it, I assume those are the Infinity Stones...
I noticed the six stars too. With the six I did think of the Stones, but I wonder if it may be something else. At the end, when the episode freeze frames and it zooms out to the SWORD monitor, it's also in a hexagonal shape, though to be fair with a different rotation. I'm curious to see what the relevance of it will be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"