Age of Ultron War Machine Better Be in This One

That works fine when the character work is actually good (IM, TIH). The problem is that when the character work is not as good (IM 2) or there isn't much character work at all (TDW) then the weak villain sticks out like a sore thumb. This happened to me big time in TDW. They were so concerned with making their movie an action movie that Loki was pretty much the only character who got some good development and because of this, Malekith being such a terribly lame and boring villain REALLY stuck out. IM 3 had this to a lesser degree to.

IMO and being a fan of both Iron Man and War machine I feel that War Machine deserves to be in this movie due to the fact that in all the other movies he was misused. I hope Whedon can put the potential of War Machine on Avengers 2. He deserves a better treatment.

Last edited:
that's it? and he couldn't take a break from it after wat was going on on the news in new york?

And how would that have mattered in actually showing up in the movie? Rhodey can't teleport; if he's in Hong Kong ( which he was canonically ), it'd be hours after the battle when he arrived.

And how would that have mattered in actually showing up in the movie? Rhodey can't teleport; if he's in Hong Kong ( which he was canonically ), it'd be hours after the battle when he arrived.

if he had the suit on him it would have taken him less than an hour.

According to the Iron Man 3 Prelude comic, Rhodey had to deal with a tank that was outfitted with Hammer weapons and tech and operated by a Ten Rings cell, if I recall correctly. There might've been some hostages in the mix as well. Tony actually calls Rhodey when the Chitauri start coming through the portal but Rhodey says he's busy and even at supersonic it would take "an hour or so" for him to reach New York. Again, in the comic Rhodes arrives after the Avengers had already sat down for shawarma.

Last edited:
This would be huge for young African-American children to have Iron Patriot but my theory is War Machine with new Armor to go along with Iron Man's armor in this film. This is about the kids and there isn't any minority heroes in the MCU. There's no reason to not have Black Panther in these movies yet and finally getting Falcon. War Machine is going to steal the show Don Cheadle is a star and I know Terrence Howard us somewhere passed he's missing out on this. Please don't be a dick Disney don't kill the black guy

Get rid of Iron Patriot, bring back War Machine.

I think the chances of Rhodey being in this film are pretty high..

IF Rhodey is in the movie, I just hope they give War Machine his armor from Iron Man 2, and not the sleek concept art we saw for the War Machine armor. I've said this in another thread, but I think the "sleek, high tech" stuff belongs to Iron Man. War Machine should be built like a tank. I don't think they could do any better than what they already had in Iron Man 2. Perfection.

I don't think it's coincidence that he has currently adopted the Iron Patriot 'persona' and is set to appear in TA:AoU. There was no real reason for him to be Iron Patriot in IM3 (at least it wasn't really explored at all) so I do wonder if they are going to take advantage of that.

Admittedly he is government/militarily own but I do wonder if he may become connected to a Dark/Secret Avengers type group (including Ultron) which become uncontrollable. A sort of pseudo Masters of Evil with Rhodey caught in the crossfire.

Just an idea...

I'm wondering if it will be Iron Patriot or the War Machine persona. Personally I prefer War Machine. But I will trust JW.

I'm wondering if it will be Iron Patriot or the War Machine persona. Personally I prefer War Machine. But I will trust JW.
While Norman Osbourne's Iron Patriot in the comics was a more direct (and darker) reflection of an unchecked government, Patriot Act allegory and all, the MCU version of Iron Patriot did allude to some of that unchecked jingoism, and overzealous patriotic fervor. Iron Patriot in the comics was meant to be a grand perversion of what Cap represented. In IM3, the idea was similar, but the tone was much more subdued.

In IM3, Stark and Rhodey, whose ethical/moral point of view the audience is meant to identify with, are dismissive and almost apologetic respectively at what the Iron Patriot branding represents.

Thus, I think Rhodey will be suiting up in the War Machine armor in future Avengers and Iron Man installments.

While Norman Osbourne's Iron Patriot in the comics was a more direct (and darker) reflection of an unchecked government, Patriot Act allegory and all, the MCU version of Iron Patriot did allude to some of that unchecked jingoism, and overzealous patriotic fervor. Iron Patriot in the comics was meant to be a grand perversion of what Cap represented. In IM3, the idea was similar, but the tone was much more subdued.

In IM3, Stark and Rhodey, whose ethical/moral point of view the audience is meant to identify with, are dismissive and almost apologetic respectively at what the Iron Patriot branding represents.

Thus, I think Rhodey will be suiting up in the War Machine armor in future Avengers and Iron Man installments.

Agreed.
There was also concept art and merchandising for IM3 that featured the actual WM armor instead of IP, so I think the original plan was for Rhodey to revert to the ol' black and silver at some point in that movie.

Well, Rhodey is getting his own comic book series in All-New Marvel Now, and it's called Iron Patriot. So I think that Marvel is committed to the "Rhodey is IP" thing for the foreseeable future.

I would rather see Rhodey back as War Machine than see him flying around as government errand boy Iron Patriot.

He's a Colonel in the US Air Force. He was already a "government errand boy" LONG before he got the suit.

I would rather see Rhodey back as War Machine than see him flying around as government errand boy Iron Patriot.

Maybe in this one Ultron will nearly kill Rhodey in the Iron Patriot armor. Near the end he can show back up in the War Machine armor.

I want War Machine/Iron Patriot to be in it.

But I have a feeling that if he is he'll just be used as an excuse to have his armor taken over again and used by Ultron to keep the government hostage.

Rhodey always gets screwed over.

Waited two movies to get his suit and it's hacked as soon as he debuts it.

Then his first mission in Iron Man 3 ends in disaster.

I wanna see War Machine kick butt and not get embarassed in at least one movie.

It does make more sense to have Rhodey aid the Avengers than having him mysteriously absent, but at the same time, the story needs to focus on the main stars (the ones that bring in the money). And characters need to appear in a way that progresses the film.

A perfect scenario for me would be brief use of the character. An example would be an opening with Hulk against Hulkbuster, Shield watching and talking to Tony via satellite, Tony giving play by play...then he surprises everyone by walking into the Shield conference room with headset on. Turns out he's making Rhodey take on Hulk while he's eating popcorn and talking trash.

In a scene like that, the focus is still on a main character, the story is progressing with the fight going on, and we see what other lesser important (to the film's plot) superheroes (in this case Rhodey) are doing. Plus its Rhodey/Tony back and forth, which makes for some of the best dialog in all of the films so far.

It would also show some hesitation on Tony's part to get back in the suits right away, which would connect with the "starting over" ending of his last movie. After the fight, the suit could be damaged beyond use, and Rhodey could be off carting it back to the workshop, while the rest of the story unfolds, maybe showing back up in War Machine armor with everyone else at the climax...not doing a whole lot (kind of like Hawkeye in Avengers 1).

I feel like we'll definitely see Rhodes return in some capacity, and he'll be War Machine instead of Iron Patriot. There is no guarantee of either of those things, but that is where I'd place my bet.

Also, if Cap is in Age of Ultron, I don't see how Falcon wouldn't be. That's a stupid move.

IF Rhodey is in the movie, I just hope they give War Machine his armor from Iron Man 2, and not the sleek concept art we saw for the War Machine armor. I've said this in another thread, but I think the "sleek, high tech" stuff belongs to Iron Man. War Machine should be built like a tank. I don't think they could do any better than what they already had in Iron Man 2. Perfection.

Agreed.

He doesn't even have to have WM Mk I exactly, just something that's bulkier, and more heavily weaponized.

Well, Rhodey got shortchanged in both IM movies but if he appears in AOU, I trust Whedon to not have his armor hacked or stolen again. Well, I hope so anyway, but we don't even know if he will show up in AOU, do we?

Well, Rhodey got shortchanged in both IM movies but if he appears in AOU, I trust Whedon to not have his armor hacked or stolen again. Well, I hope so anyway, but we don't even know if he will show up in AOU, do we?

Nope. Not until Marvel issues a press release to announce that filming has commenced and they list the full cast.
bad place, they still haven't made the announcement of Thomas Krestmann as Von Strucker official.
They are very slow in making things official.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"