Warner Bros. is going Blu-Ray exclusive.

how far away do you sit and what size is your HDTV?

30 inches.

kv30hs420.jpg

I don't know, my couch is like 5 or 5 and a half feet away :huh:

블라스;13713137 said:
30 inches.

kv30hs420.jpg

I don't know, my couch is like 5 or 5 and a half feet away :huh:

Indeed, I've had the same experience with mine. I sit a handful of feet away from the HDTV, and the picture isn't near as blurred as that example. Watching Blade Runner was a good example of this, I could see every drop of rain on Roy's face in the ending scenes.

Exactly!
Ugh, I haven't even seen the Final cut :(
Just the theatrical and international :cmad:
But yeah, it looks freaking awesome and the FC is supposed to be even sharper.
I'm sure there's an advantage with next gen DVD players, but the companies sure try to make it sound like we're watching **** with SD, and sadly a lot of people believe it.

The sales of HDTVs and HD programming becoming the standard means nothing when the sales of HD discs are still piss poor as opposed to SD discs. I can really see them catching on if the DVD format remains stagnant for the next 3-4 years and no advances are made. But I don't see that happening that way.

Neither are ever going to become the "standard". bad place, it took DVD until late '02, early '03 to finally overtake VHS. VHS, which paled in comparison to the then new format. HD discs won't become "popular" until '10, '11 if at all.
2010 is only 2 years off buddy. Thats not too far away

here's another:

80ws0h2.jpg

7xuvwk0.png

When I see this...it doesn't look so stark.
Thanks to darkspartan at GT. Ironically, this is the HD DVD version. Remember the blu ray version was kinda iffy in some parts.

2010 is only 2 years off buddy. Thats not too far away

I'm leaning more towards 2011 if it even happens. That would be three years off, but I'm of the belief that another advance will happen within or straight after that time frame.

블라스;13713197 said:
Exactly!
Ugh, I haven't even seen the Final cut :(
Just the theatrical and international :cmad:
But yeah, it looks freaking awesome and the FC is supposed to be even sharper.
I'm sure there's an advantage with next gen DVD players, but the companies sure try to make it sound like we're watching **** with SD, and sadly a lot of people believe it.

The Final Cut was amazing. I never realized before that

Deckard was actually a replicant.

That sure as bad place threw me for a loop once I realized this after remembering his conversation with Rachael and then the origami unicorn left by Gaff. I checked and R. Scott also said this was true.

I'm going to laugh in 3-4 years when both Blu-ray and HD-DVD are obsolete, and the companies that invested so much in them end up with egg on their face. Neither of the formats are going to have the longevity of DVD, I can already assure that.

Enjoy the "success" while it lasts, it definitely won't last long. Consumers have chosen Blu-Ray my ash.
Did Doc Brown take you on his latest venture to the future? Please, this will soon replace DVD, even though people will likely not be repurchasing movies in HD.

I'm going to laugh in 3-4 years when both Blu-ray and HD-DVD are obsolete, and the companies that invested so much in them end up with egg on their face. Neither of the formats are going to have the longevity of DVD, I can already assure that.

Enjoy the "success" while it lasts, it definitely won't last long. Consumers have chosen Blu-Ray my ash.

now all of a sudden neutral heh? FAIL

After being spoiled by my PS3's Blu-Ray goodness, I can scarcely go back to DVDs. The PS3's upscaler helps, but the details just aren't there. The other night, my brother had me over to check out his new 1080p LCD and he had a clever little rig set up-- King Kong on 480p DVD on one channel, and King Kong on 1080i HD-DVD on the next channel. He synched them up so that he could instantly switch between and get virtually the same scene on both. The DVD looked awful after watching on HD-DVD. There's no denying that the switch to an HD format is necessary, and the people who try to are just stick-in-the-mud tools who want to think that they already have the best possible format with DVD.

The cost of the new formats is not what's holding them back from mainstream adoption: it's confusion about which format is the real successor to DVD. No-one wants to plunk down their hard earned dough on the losing team. Now that Warner Bros. has sided with Blu-Ray though, the war will have a much speedier end than previously thought. Once Blu-Ray officially wins the war, it will be seen as the true successor to DVD by customers, and they'll feel a lot more secure if they decide to go out and buy a BR player and start buying BRs instead of DVDs.

Did Doc Brown take you on his latest venture to the future? Please, this will soon replace DVD, even though people will likely not be repurchasing movies in HD.

This will not replace DVD soon if at all. DVD is entrenched in our culture. It is cheap, accessible to all, and doesn't require HDTV's to get the most from it. It is proven technology that billions of people are happy with. For High Def, you need an HDTV to see the difference. While more and more HDTV's are being sold, it just doesn't have the penetration as regular SD TV's, which many people have. Not only that but there are those who don't see a difference between upscaled DVD and High Def.

DVD is the CD of the movie world, it is proven and cheap technology that will lost for most likely another decade just as CD has lasted 25+ years.

The cost of the new formats is not what's holding them back from mainstream adoption: it's confusion about which format is the real successor to DVD.

While this is partially true, cost is actually a big factor in this. Just look at the BOGO sales...movies sell like hotcakes when there are sales. That means that the 10-20 dollar range is the sweet spot. Unfortunately, once HD DVD goes away forever Blu-ray will end those sales and we will be back to the same old prices. People will look at that and then look at the DVD for more than half the price and most likely pick the DVD.

DVD and BR will never be at the same price. Even if they were to drop BRs to 10 bucks a pop, then DVDs would start being $5 a pop, like what happened when DVD replaced VHS. I agree that $30 is too high to be the standard price on new releases. But I disagree that price is the main reason why HD is still not catching on. I believe that consumer confidence will play a large role, with price being the main factor after the dust of war has settled.

Of course DVD and Blu-ray will not be the same price. But with prices over $20, they will not catch on as fast as everyone thinks. There are many, many people who don't give a crap about High Def and will not shell out more than double the price compared to a DVD.

Therefore, price will always be a factor.

You quite easily can go about it like a complete dumbass, as you are doing now. But it's pretty obvious that the "high-definition format wars" are going to end up with regular old DVD being the winner for years to come.

true...dvd will remain top for a while, but unless hd-dvd pulls a rabbit out of their hat all of those people that DO want an hd player, but were waiting for a definitive winner, will now be picking up blu-ray players instead of hd-dvd players. Sony's getting a boost...but i didn't say it was a huge boost. it's still a boost that the 360 doesn't stand a chance of getting.

what i find funny is that there's a rumor going around that Microsoft is planning on releasing a 360 equivalent of a PS3. i wonder how they would market that now that blu-ray is about to take over.

what i find funny is that there's a rumor going around that Microsoft is planning on releasing a 360 equivalent of a PS3. i wonder how they would market that now that blu-ray is about to take over.

It would be interesting if Microsoft released a Blu-ray add-on.

wow....that would just add insult to injury. however, i wouldn't put it past Microsoft to start incorporating blu-ray in future products. after all, when the Xbox720 comes out they're not exactly going to be putting their games on dvds or hd-dvds anymore.

wow....that would just add insult to injury. however, i wouldn't put it past Microsoft to start incorporating blu-ray in future products. after all, when the Xbox720 comes out they're not exactly going to be putting their games on dvds or hd-dvds anymore.

Microsoft have said from the very start that they would be happy to support BR-DVD if that's the way that the market went.

You are looking at it wrong. This was never Sony VS Microsoft (A psuedo PS3 VS X360 war), its actually Toshiba VS Sony. Microsoft gains from both formats since both formats use some of their tech. Microsoft put their support behind HD-DVD with the hope that it would win. Thats not the case anymore and they will move over to BR-DVD. The financial support they have put behind HD-DVD is pretty minimal anyway. It was best described on cnet last year as "Involved support, not committed support of the format".

The bottom line is that the only people who lose are the early adopters.

Then you are beyond naive. Any monkey with half a mind could tell you that HD movies are not going to catch on any time soon. This was the same way with DVD and VHS. And the jump/gain between those two was even greater. I stand by what I've been saying: 3 or 4 years, if at all.

now all of a sudden neutral heh? FAIL

I've always been format neutral. I acknowledged that Blu-Ray wasn't "better" than HD-DVD like many would claim, but beyond that I have been neutral to the whole "war". I perfectly enjoy my upscaled DVDs on my HDTV. To let you in on a little secret: [I haven't even discussed the two formats for over a year. How exactly does that make me indifferent all of the sudden?]

Fighting over a format is even more mind-boggling than fighting over a console. At least when console corporations compete we gain something (first party quality, enhanced quality of device, etc.). When Blu-Ray and HD-DVD compete, we gain little to nothing on the performance or quality side.

How would you say it? Fail. :o

true...dvd will remain top for a while, but unless hd-dvd pulls a rabbit out of their hat all of those people that DO want an hd player, but were waiting for a definitive winner, will now be picking up blu-ray players instead of hd-dvd players. Sony's getting a boost...but i didn't say it was a huge boost. it's still a boost that the 360 doesn't stand a chance of getting.

I don't believe HD-DVD will pull a rabbit out of their hat, not at all. Between the two "HD" formats, Blu-Ray is going to be the one that wins out. However, in the grand scheme of things they're both losing, horrificly, to DVD. I don't think Sony will get much of a boost from this, if sales of HD movies continue to pale in comparison to that of regular DVD and consumer indifference persists.

And yes, Microsoft jumped ship from the HD-DVD format a while ago and proclaimed themselves "format neutral". Talk of a Blu-ray add-on was actually heard over a year ago or so.

God ****ing damnit......I'm gonna have to steal one of those LG dual players :cmad: :confused:

God ****ing damnit......I'm gonna have to steal one of those LG dual players :cmad: :confused:

No, you don't really want to do that. The LG player sucks. The new Samsung combo player will be better, but really, it's cheaper to just get a separate player for both formats.

How heavy is it? I need to outrun fat security guards.

lol...it's about as heavy as any other High Def stand alone player. I would say you should strap it to your back as that would make it easier to escape. :woot::oldrazz:

The problem here is that technology never grew so fast before, and it´s more hurtful than not.
Why do DVD sell more than Blu-Ray or HD DVD? Because people still don´t have an HD TV, nor plan to in the next years, not until tv signal, both NTSC and PAL are HD, that is still not the case.
Sure there are already many tv shows in HD (even fewer in PAL), but not all broadcast is.
Many people connect the 360 or the PS3 on a regular tv, much more (the majority, from what i could gather) connect the consoles to a PC monitor (like me).

Who is going to win, Blu-Ray or HD DVD?
Not easy to predict, both can still win it, or both can live on, with the introduction of hybrid players (DVD, HD DVD and Blu-Ray).
Blu-Ray is winning, but, with manufacturers making hybrid players, both can end on "winning" this war.

The slowdown will happen, and likely soon if this keeps up, as there won't be anywhere left to go. You can already see this in CGI, how much more realistic can they get really? Realer than real?
There is still place to go.
Do you know what will be the next big thing that will come out?
Go this thread i made: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?p=13720723#post13720723

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"