watch the golden compass go to hell

I just want to chime in and say that I'm a Christian. I believe in God, Jesus, all that "good news" stuff.

But I saw the trailer to this movie, and it looks awesome. End of story.

I think everyone should be jagnostic. That's the belief that religion is silly and that there really isn't enough evidence to suggest one way or another whether there is a higher power, but if there is then it is more than likely me. :)

jag

I think everyone should be jagnostic. That's the belief that religion is silly and that there really isn't enough evidence to suggest one way or another whether there is a higher power, but if there is then it is more than likely me. :)

jag

What the hell, I'm already both a SubGenius and a Pastafarian. I can be Jagnostic as well. :up:

jag

Would yours be a benevolent dictatorship....i mean rule...not dictatorship.

I wonder what they think is worse....this or 2girls1cup?

I just want to chime in and say that I'm a Christian. I believe in God, Jesus, all that "good news" stuff.

But I saw the trailer to this movie, and it looks awesome. End of story.

Really when it comes down to it, most movies in some way are anti religious or have themes contray to the Church. I don't think that means we can't enjoy a fantasy movie because of it's anti religous themes.To me though the Golden Compass looks like a Lord Of the Rings wannabee just like the 900 plus movies that come out in December ever since Peter Jacksons masterpiece.They really are running this fantasy thing to the ground.I'm holding out on seeing any more Fantasy flicks until Dragon Warrior the movie gets made.

Cant Wait To See This Movie

I've already seen it. :cwink:

Saw it at a sneak preview on Saturday night, and I'm almost done with the books. It hasn't turned me into an atheist any more than Harry Potter was supposed to turn me into a devil worshipper. :whatever:

The books/movie are absolutely NOT what they are claiming. It's not about "a little girl who sets out to kill god," nor is it trying to push atheism at all. When "god" dies in the third book, it's actually an imposter god...almost in the same way the Wizard of Oz turns out to be a con man.

It's about a parallel universe that's ruled by an evil version of the Catholic Church (called the "magesterium" in the movie), that somewhat resembles the Catholic Church of the Spanish Inquisition. Basically, they have found physical evidence of original sin, and they think the way to fix it is to seperate children from their "daemons," which is an animal spirit that lives with all living people. Essentially, they're trying to do away with people's souls and take away free will.

The little girl, Lyra is off to rescue her best friend who's been taken by these people, called the Gobblers. She's not setting off on any quest to kill God or preach atheism or whatever nonsense they're claiming.

I saw the movie with my folks, neither of whom have read the books. My dad, who loves fantasy, thought it was a great movie and has started reading them himself. My Catholic-school raised mom, also enjoyed it and didn't have a problem with the religious themes, in fact, she liked the movie more because of them.

The movie was a little short, and they've cut the last 3 chapters of the book (supposedly they're saving them for the sequel), and that was my only real gripe with the movie. It's well cast, the effects were terrific, and the polar bear fight was awesome.

If you enjoy fantasy films that don't insult your intelligence, you'll like it. Go see it.

I can't speak for ATP, but I wouldn't have any problem at all.

Yes, it does make sense, because religious people have built their entire lives around, staked their whole future on, a bulls*** malarky fantasy, and it's just too painful to even CONTEMPLATE the possibility that there is no Happy Ending in Heaven with Jesus, and that all their struggling and tribulations were for nothing, based on insidious lies.

It's not religious people. It's people in general. It's human nature.

You might not have any problem at all, but you know that the majority of people here would be all up in arms if some white supremacist published some children's book as propaganda piece for racism and openly admitted it. That's exactly what this author has done with his anti-religious beliefs.

Lackey, have you read the book?

Everyone I've talked to that has read it says it only touches upon religious themes. Its not outrightly anti-religious. I'll see for myself sooner or later.

i'm guessing it's not "work-safe" so i'll avoid looking it up.

go to urbandictionary.com and it will provide a written description instead of the video.

will bomb anyway :up:

Lackey, have you read the book?

Everyone I've talked to that has read it says it only touches upon religious themes. Its not outrightly anti-religious. I'll see for myself sooner or later.

The author has himself admitted that his books are outrightly anti-religious and that that was his intention.

go to urbandictionary.com and it will provide a written description instead of the video.

that site's blocked at my work. i can probably make an educated guess on what it is. don't care all that much anyway.

The author has himself admitted that his books are outrightly anti-religious and that that was his intention.

I don't believe the author has ever said anything remotely like that.

I read one quote from an interview where he said, if a reader wants to interpret it that way he can.

Show me a quote where the author admits its outrightly anti-religious.

I don't believe the author has ever said anything remotely like that.

I read one quote from an interview where he said, if a reader wants to interpret it that way he can.

Show me a quote where the author admits its outrightly anti-religious.
Why "believe" stuff when you can so easily check out the facts? :huh:

Pullman denied to Al Roker that his books are anti-religious. "As for the atheism," he adds, "it doesn’t matter to me whether people believe in God or not, so I’m not promoting anything of that sort," he wrote in response to a question from "Kim, Friday Harbor, Wash." But what did the author have to say on the issue six years ago, when asked by the Washington Post what famously Christian author C.S. Lewis would think of his books?
"I'm trying to undermine the basis of Christian belief," says Pullman. "Mr. Lewis would think I was doing the Devil's work."​
And what did he tell the Sydney Morning Herald in 2003?
"I'm a great fan of J.K. Rowling, but the people - mainly from America's Bible Belt - who complain that Harry Potter promotes Satanism or witchcraft obviously haven't got enough in their lives. Meanwhile, I've been flying under the radar, saying things that are far more subversive than anything poor old Harry has said. My books are about killing God."​

Well there ya go. You learn something new everyday.

I can't believe some people still don't know what 2girls1cup is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"