• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Watchmen - DC Animated Movie

It looks like Watchmen

I do not like Rorschach’s voice very much.

Some stuff looks okay, but most shots look meh.

Kinda how I feel. Should have just asked Jackie Earle Hayley to come back.
Why? I don't need Rorschach to sound an edgelord badass, I need him to sound like the pathetic idiot he is which they've accomplished here.

After watching the trailer a few times, maybe I can get use to the VA for Rorschach. Jackie Earle Hayley just did a phenomenal job in the role, so it's hard to hear a different voice for Rorschach. Although, I actually kinda liked Alan Moore's "Rorschach voice" he used while reading his dialogue from the comic. He used a deep grovely voice as well.

Did you not watch the HBO Watchmen series? Which I enjoy on the same level as the Watchmen film, really.

I enjoy both. The movie more. I wasn't crazy about Ozymandias in the series. However, I loved that they kept the alien squid in it, as well as the character Looking Glass. It took me a second watch on the TV series to get into it.

Did you not watch the HBO Watchmen series? Which I enjoy on the same level as the Watchmen film, really.
I loved the TV show in that it actually understood the original book and tried to cover different aspects that the original book didn't. The movie is a testament to how completely inept Zack Snyder is as a filmmaker. The dude made a panel for panel adaptation and still managed to completely miss the point of the story. Almost all of his creative decisions from casting to direction are the wrong ones.

These characters are supposed to pathetic social "deviants" and sociopaths not hyper stylized edgelord badasses. Rorschach is a mentally disturbed serial killer who uses crime fighting to justify his own violent behavior and is the biggest hypocrite in the entire book. How he's presented in the film plays these elements to make him seem "cool." It was embarrassing to sit through.

When the TV show took Rorschach's schtick and turned it into a right wing cult, it was refreshing to see that someone in Hollywood actually understood the material. I know Lindelof tried to be professional and respectful by claiming he was a fan of the film but there were obvious criticisms at how the movie handled the material in the TV show.

I'll probably run through the show again once both parts of the animated movies are out.

Last edited:
I loved the TV show in that it actually understood the original book and tried to cover different aspects that the original book didn't. The movie is a testament to how completely inept Zack Snyder is as a filmmaker. The dude made a panel for panel adaptation and still managed to completely miss the point of the story. Almost all of his creative decisions from casting to direction are the wrong ones.

These characters are supposed to pathetic social "deviants" and sociopaths not hyper stylized edgelord badasses. Rorschach is a mentally disturbed serial killer who uses crime fighting to justify his own violent behavior and is the biggest hypocrite in the entire book. How he's presented in the film plays these elements to make him seem "cool." It was embarrassing to sit through.

When the TV show took Rorschach's schtick and turned it into a right wing cult, it was refreshing to see that someone in Hollywood actually understood the material. I know Lindelof tried to be professional and respectful by claiming he was a fan of the film but there were obvious criticisms at how the movie handled the material in the TV show.

I'll probably run through the show again once both parts of the animated movies are out.
But how did Snyder make you feel? I realize many people detest the guy and his work with a passion, but I just wanted to know if you'd seen the show! :D

But how did Snyder make you feel? I realize many people detest the guy and his work with a passion, but I just wanted to know if you'd seen the show! :D
You also said you enjoy them both equally. I was explaining why I don't.

Never heard anyone complain about the casting for the Watchmen movie before, that's new lol.

These characters are supposed to pathetic social "deviants" and sociopaths not hyper stylized edgelord badasses.

All notably flawed, I think much less than all outright pathetic or worse, think especially Dan, Laurie, Dr. Manhattan are overall noble, likeable, admirable, even Rorschach while not that there's some grudging respect for his commitment especially his reluctant angry sacrifice. Although even in the comic I think you are supposed to find Rorschach likeable and root for him in his time in and escape from prison.

When the TV show took Rorschach's schtick and turned it into a right wing cult, it was refreshing to see that someone in Hollywood actually understood the material.

Moore definitely, obviously leans left with a lot of disdain for right yet in the comic especially the parallel positions/positioning of New Statesman and Nova Express I think he was trying to go for all extremes, especially all partisan extremes are bad, definitely self-limiting.

Loved the HBO sequel series. TBH, I wish this was an adaptation Doomsday Clock--at least just for the sake of variety. I think I'm part of the minority, but I really enjoyed that book & the direction Rebirth was going for a bit. Too bad editorial behind-the-scenes politics course-corrected DC Comics at the time.

even Rorschach while not that there's some grudging respect for his commitment especially his reluctant angry sacrifice. Although even in the comic I think you are supposed to find Rorschach likeable and root for him in his time in and escape from prison.
I don't agree. If anything, I felt the prison sequence was Moore spelling out to the reader that Rorschach is a complete hypocrite and a psychopath. It's practically a meme at this point that people completely missed the point with Rorschach.

Also Alan Moore "leans left"?8A8XGiFmmwgSYRG4okM91S6pKyasrBpTO5BycafrlRM.jpg
The dude's about as far left as it gets.

Last edited:
Never heard anyone complain about the casting for the Watchmen movie before, that's new lol.
Carla Gugino, Malin Akerman, and Mathew Goode are ****ing terrible lol. Speaking as a gay man, Goode's performance is borderline offensive. I'll concede and say the two nite owls are fine and Crudup is fine until he has to raise his voice. I'll even concede that Haley and Morgan gave Snyder exactly what he wanted, and the direction is the issue there.

Haven’t seen Snyder’s film since 2009, but I LOVED the HBO show, and am loving the comic as I am reading it for the first time due to the animated films!

Eager to see the voice cast announcement, especially who is voicing Manhattan.

Carla Gugino, Malin Akerman, and Mathew Goode are ****ing terrible lol. Speaking as a gay man, Goode's performance is borderline offensive. I'll concede and say the two nite owls are fine and Crudup is fine until he has to raise his voice. I'll even concede that Haley and Morgan gave Snyder exactly what he wanted, and the direction is the issue there.

Matthew Goode's portrayal was problematic because he was so obviously the villain from the get-go. You probably good have gotten a better actress than Akerman, but it wasn't so offensive to me. And Gugino was giving a veryy campy performance lol so I lived.

Patrick Wilson was awesome as Nite Owl lol; I won't be taking questions.

Matthew Goode's portrayal was problematic because he was so obviously the villain from the get-go.
Absolutely. He's also playing a closeted gay man in the most stereotypical way imaginable. I can imagine Snyder on set yelling at him "No bro, gayer! GAAAAAYYYEER!"

The original Watchmen graphic novel is one of the few pieces of media that I feel legitimately lives up to the hype so you'll have to forgive me for not being amused by the cast camping it up and playing into stereotypes that make zero sense for the character to begin with.

Last edited:
Haven’t seen Snyder’s film since 2009, but I LOVED the HBO show, and am loving the comic as I am reading it for the first time due to the animated films!

Eager to see the voice cast announcement, especially who is voicing Manhattan.

Watchmen was the first R rated movie I saw in theaters. The trailers sold me on it so quick. I get why comic purist have problems with it, but there's still so much I enjoy from it, imo...

Hope you're enjoying the comic! I read it a few years back. Whenever Doomsday Clock was about to release. Watchmen took me a few days to finish, the book is pretty dense, imo. I have the Absolute Edition version. Dave Gibbons art is so good, and of course Alan Moore Was terrific with the writing.

Watchmen was the first R rated movie I saw in theaters. The trailers sold me on it so quick. I get why comic purist have problems with it, but there's still so much I enjoy from it, imo...

Hope you're enjoying the comic! I read it a few years back. Whenever Doomsday Clock was about to release. Watchmen took me a few days to finish, the book is pretty dense, imo. I have the Absolute Edition version. Dave Gibbons art is so good, and of course Alan Moore Was terrific with the writing.

Not to sound arrogant or dismissive, but I figured the film was your introduction to the material which I've found to be the case with a large portion of the films fans which is perfectly fine.

I always thought Gugino would have made a better Laurie than she did Sally, and certainly better than what Malin Akerman gave us. And I know Snyder wanted the actors to be young enough so that he could age them up throughout the eras they were depicting, but we barely see young Laurie, and most of the other actors are behind masks anyway. Gugino was fine as young Sally, but just not really convincing as older Sally.

I think Haley and Morgan are kind of a mixed bag. I hated Haley's growly voice, but his Rorschach also lacked the dark humour from the comic, so the writing didn't really do him any help. Morgan is mostly fine, except in that one scene where he gets his face sliced open and he seems to forget that Blake is supposed to be in pain.

Absolutely. He's also playing a closeted gay man in the most stereotypical way imaginable. I can imagine Snyder on set yelling at him "No bro, gayer! GAAAAAYYYEER!"

He also made the strange choice to play Veidt with a slight German accent, and Snyder never stepped in and told him maybe that was not the right idea. But honestly, Goode felt miscast to me. He's too outwardly cold and sinister as Veidt. This is where I think the movie should have gone with a bigger actor like Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt. Someone the audience loved, someone with movie star appeal. Goode just utterly lacked that.

He also made the strange choice to play Veidt with a slight German accent, and Snyder never stepped in and told him maybe that was not the right idea. But honestly, Goode felt miscast to me. He's too outwardly cold and sinister as Veidt. This is where I think the movie should have gone with a bigger actor like Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt. Someone the audience loved, someone with movie star appeal. Goode just utterly lacked that.
Hit the nail on the head. You need someone who's meta-magnetic in the role that disorients the audience when the plot reveals itself.

I admittedly have a soft-spot for the film. Crudup and Wilson rule in their roles, Haley's acting his ass off, and Morgan and most of the ancillary cast help me buy into the world. I think Snyder did a great job in adapting the world for the screen, and I think his film makes the right call in changing the ending. But Malin Ackerman is a wooden plank and Gugino has the presence of a community theater stage actress in her elderly role. I have to give Snyder credit for at least making something look so faithful, even if it feels like a collection of re-creations instead of a cohesive film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"