WB Superman Reboot 3.0: Christopher Nolan Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good points. This movie can only work if it brings something new and up to date to the audience. We've had Superman for many decades, we've seen pretty much anything there is to see about Superman's powers. Superman flying, punching and lifting things in different scales won't make this new franchise long lived.

Big battles with giant robots and aliens from outer space? Nope, done and done. Cool for fans, passable for everyone else.

But Nolan knows this all too well.

Begins was a hit because Nolan understood how important Bruce Wayne is to the Batman mythos, something Tim Burton never approached. People tend to just want to see Batman, but Batman is secondary. He speaks little, he fights the baddies, he has the cool gadgets. But Batman by himself is all action, little story. Without Bruce Wayne, he is a cookie cutter hero, perhaps with one or two breaches of morality. That's why villains used to steal the show.

There was nothing exceptional in Batman Begins other than the journey into Bruce Wayne's mind, his trauma, his fears and hopes. And that alone made a great movie. Kudos to Nolan for understanding that Batman is about little exposition, and focusing on the psychological thriller of the man behind the mask.

Moving on to Dark Knight, Nolan asks again the right questions. What if this guy, with all the resources he has available, can't outmatch someone smarter and even more destructive? What if he had a civilian match, would there ever be a need for a vigilante? He's pushing more internal conflicts like pieces on a chessboard.

So how did Singer's script fail? Never once does he ask the right questions. What if Superman had a son? Who cares? What if Lois was married someone else? Who cares. What if Lex Luthor was hoping to create a whole new continent to sell land? Wait, what?

The only thing that could've gone right there was "What if the world lost Superman, would it ever be the same?" Probably yes, since Superman is shown spending his time chasing bank robbers and lifting stray cars. Now had they shown him unsucessfully trying to end wars in the Middle East, famine in underdeveloped nations and trying to prevent global warming...you have a plateful of morality issues for the modern audience.

And that's exactly what I predict Nolan is going for. Maybe not so literally (I guess no one wants to see Superman lecturing against pollution), but not trailing too far from a real conflict, a real challenge that is meaningful to the audiences, and not just Superman and the people of Metropolis. Everything else we've seen before.

Last edited:
Maybe the fresh idea was that they could do batman begins only for superman, which is what there probably going to do, sprinkle in some of those new themes from secret origins and the beginning of birthright and you have your movie. Action, romance, a bit of comedy and away you go. Its never really been that hard to figure superman out, its only hard if you have to follow the reeve movies without updating it. Origin stories are a guarantee no matter how many of you think it has to be innovative and WB would be dumb to do something like SR again (which was innovative, just didn't work). Stick to the basics and you have a good movie.

Snyder, Nolan, and Co. I think will try to explain and answer that question. They'll try to explain how a "Superman" would be able to function in our real world, which is filled with real problems and complicated issues.

You and RalphD make great points. That is the type of realism that I would want to see in a Superman movie.

Not that it can't also be fun and full of action, but that it explores Superman's role in the world.

Those "spoilers" look like anything anyone of us could make up just based on speculation.....besides the fact that it contradicts earlier reports on the plotline(which could be wrong but I highly doubt it).

Edit:Just seen Mirko's post about being bogus.... well at least to me it seemed bogus from the start.

Last edited:
Yes, it was suspicious that it only gave away those specific scenes to be shot, what with how guarded it has been so far esp. at this stage of pre-production.

Those "spoilers" look like anything anyone of us could make up just based on speculation.....besides the fact that it contradicts earlier reports on the plotline(which could be wrong but I highly doubt it).

Edit:Just seen Mirko's post about being bogus.... well at least to me it seemed bogus from the start.

Its all a whirlwind of rumor at this point. Whomever created it, put a lot of thought into if it is fake.

We were sent an update from our source:

To follow up on the confusion surrounding my tip off about the Superman production timeline:

The scenes in
Smallville
aren’t the first thing in the movie but are going to be filmed first for convinience and won’t be a major part of the story but a key part.

I believe that the stand in for Metropolis will be Chicago and NOT Vancouver. This is one of the key reasons why The Dark Knight Rises has moved to Detroit because TDKR doesn’t have as many ariel shots as Superman and so the audience will not know the difference. The ariel shots in TDKR will be CGI enhanced as will the Superman shots.

There will be a Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Year breaks during the shoot. Shooting in 2011 finishes on something like December 15th and won’t resume until January 5th.

The foreign shoots are for a montage scene and will feature
Clark Kent
. I believe the story says
Iraq and Afghanistan
but filming won’t take place there for obvious reasons and a stand in country will be chosen. The actual foreign places are being decided now and it may even film
those desert war scenes in the US.

The UK studio is Shepperton Studios at Pinewood I believe and is where the Daily Planet interior scenes will be filmed as well as others which I won’t say.

http://collider.com/superman-man-of-steel-production-schedule/68680/

I thought the Detroit shoot for TDKR was debunked? Maybe I read that wrong.

i'm just surprised production's actually going somewhere. i wonder when people will stop saying "nolan" when referring to this movie? he's just a producer snyder probably got the job so nolan could make tdkr, and not have to worry about superman.

i'm just surprised production's actually going somewhere. i wonder when people will stop saying "nolan" when referring to this movie? he's just a producer snyder probably got the job so nolan could make tdkr, and not have to worry about superman.

:up: great post, I'm sick of hearing Nolan wouldn't allow this or that its Zak Snyder's movie

If this is legit the Birthright-elements sound more and more probable for the foreign- and Smallville-shoots.

If this is true (and there are still doubts) it's good to see elements of Superman where they could explore him as a political figure, where he fits into world affairs and war and as a symbol of America.

Watching "Superman Returns" the line that's actually more provocative now is when Perry White says "Does he still stand for truth, justice...all that stuff?" i.e. "The American Way" is something that could be explored.

Also, would be nice to see the Smallville-Clark fleshed out more and not the undercover Metropolis-Clark. Or at least have them be less different.

In generel, I'd love for Clark to be more of a character this time and not an excuse or an illusion. I'd like to see him actually being a capable reporter and taking action. Just trying to fit in and being human or "regular".

Right. If these rumours are true, then it sounds like we are getting a more fleshed-out Clark. He's travelling the world and witnessing war and politics as a journalist.

He should be more of a character, any insecurity and awkwardness should be genuine, not a bumbling act. And he could even change and grow throughout the movie as he gains more confidence as a journalist and also decides for himself what Superman should stand for.

The act is just for Metropolis and the Daily Planet.

He's gonna need some kind of exaggerated or invented persona for that to throw people off when he's there.

Even Bruce Wayne had 'Playboy Bruce' and Batman has the luxury of a mask.

Yeah, when people say that Clark as he appears at the Daily Planet is the real person I wonder if they understand the character at all.

It's probably because the Postcrisis comics tried to blend both together. It works fine in animation and comics, but not so great in live action (Dean Cain's Clark/Superman being exactly the same and consequently not believable in the slightest).

Kal-El needs three personas; the real Clark Kent (who we'll see in the Middle East and Smallville), the exaggerated/invented Clark Kent (Metropolis, Daily Planet) and Superman (his worldwide public superhero persona).

The problem with Clark exaggerating himself in Metropolis is that it can be overdone from an acting standpoint. Sure he should not draw attention to himself and there is the change with the clothes, hair and glasses, but he doesn't have to ham it up and play a goofball.

And he would be different in Metropolis than in Smallville- he's a farmboy in the big city surrounded by big personalities. So there would be the feeling of being overwhelmed and trying to fit into this more regular daily life. And since the early comics Clark has been the more genuine persona of the creators. Even Morrison in All-Star showed Clark, because of being Superman, as having trouble being Clark in Metropolis because he is downplaying who he really is, so that's why he stumbles and fumbles- because he is actually too big a persona to try to reign in as a regular guy like Clark in Metropolis.

Hehe, wouldnt mind if he actually took acting-classes for the Metropolis-Clark Kent. Or it was hinted at that he studied acting somehow.

I'd also like to see that they stick with the humorous or coy Superman/Clark Kent. I love his expression in SR after his eye stops the bullit and in STM when he reveals the bullit in his hand. :woot:
Sorta humanizes him.

Also, the part in Birthright where he fires a gun at that crook and then stops it right in front of his face. :up:

The problem with Clark exaggerating himself in Metropolis is that it can be overdone from an acting standpoint. Sure he should not draw attention to himself and there is the change with the clothes, hair and glasses, but he doesn't have to ham it up and play a goofball.

That's why I liked Singer's approach of Clark being subdued and fading into the background at the DP.

CK played more of a quiet, reserved persona in the DP as opposed to drawing attention to himself.

restart.

They should have reboot the thing even before superman returns came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"