Weinsteins To Distribute Outlander

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
Karl Urban in talks to topline
13 May 2005

9958.jpg
As ambitious plotlines go, sci-fi flick Outlander must be pretty near the top of the list. It's also near the top of the Most Lunatic Plot list and the Most Unlikely Plot list. The film will tell the story of a man from a distant galaxy who crashes headlong into Earth. But the twist is, that this happens at the time of the Vikings! And that's not all! He has, as if that weren't enough...wait for it…an alien predator in tow.

Karl Urban of Lord of The Rings and The Bourne Supremacy fame is currently in negotiations to take the role of the crashed pilot, giving him another chance to exercise his world-class smouldering glower. Bob and Harvey Weinstein's new company, currently called the Weinstein Co. will be distributing Outlander (not to be confused with the Sean Connery film Outland). Production designer Patrick Tatopoulos, whose impressive CV includes I, Robot, Godzilla and, er, Super Mario Bros has been given the task of creating the alien predator, whilst Howard McCain (who co-wrote the screenplay with Dirk Blackman) will direct the sci-fi/historical epic.

Karl Urban, meanwhile, will next be on our screens (save for some Xena Warrior Princess re-runs on the sci-fi channel, anyway) in space horror adventure Doom, which tells the (equally implausible) story of a Special Ops squadron who answer a distress call from a science lab on the planet Olduvai, only to discover that a series of mutant and possibly demonic beings are systematically killing off the population there. Clearly, Urban is becoming adept at kicking all kinds of alien ass.

hunter rider said:
Clearly, Urban is becoming adept at kicking all kinds of alien ass.

They forgot to include Orc ass.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=17337

Outlander Principal Photography Started
Source: The Weinstein Company
November 2, 2006

Outlander began principal photography on October 16, 2006. The sci-fi action/adventure film stars Jim Caviezel (The Passion of The Christ, The Count of Monte Crisco), Sophia Myles (Underworld: Evolution, Tristan + Isolde), Jack Huston (Factory Girl), Ron Perlman (Hellboy) and John Hurt (V For Vendetta, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone).

The film is helmed by Howard McCain from a screenplay he wrote with Dirk Blackman, and produced by Ascendant Pictures/VIP Medienfronds 4 in association with Rising Star.

Producers are Chris Roberts and Barrie Osbourne. The Weinstein Company will handle distribution in the United States and Wild Bunch is handling international sales.

Outlander begins when a space craft crashes into the majestic fjords of ancient Norway and into the time of the Vikings. From the wreckage emerge two bitter enemies: a soldier from another world – Kainan – and a bloodthirsty creature known as the Moorwen. Man and monster both seeking revenge for violence committed against them. As the Moorwen ravages the Viking world, killing everything in its path, Kainan forms an unlikely alliance with the primitive but fierce warriors. Combining his advanced technology with ancient Iron Age weapons, the hero leads a desperate attempt to kill the monster - before it destroys them all.

The Moorwen has been designed by famed monster/creature creator Patrick Tatopoulos (Silent Hill, I, Robot, Godzilla, Independence Day). In addition, the film's conceptual art and design was done by the team of conceptual artists (Iain McCaig and Ninth Ray) behind the "Star Wars" trilogy.

Rounding out the creative team are Cinematographer Pierre Gill (The Covenant) and Production Designer David Hackl (Skinwalkers, "Saw" II & III) and Costume Designer Debra Hanson (Beowulf & Grendel). Post-production will be handled by Toronto-based firm, Spin.

Executive Producers are John Schimmel, Don Carmody Christopher Eberts, Kia Jam, Don Carmody, Karen Loop, Dirk Blackman and Andy Grosch.

Filming continues through January 5, 2007 in Halifax and Newfoundland, Canada.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=18319
Outlander Creature Revealed
Source: G4
January 8, 2007

G4's The Feed has your first look at the Patrick Tatopoulos-created creature, called the Moorwen, in the sci-fi action/adventure film Outlander, starring Jim Caviezel, Sophia Myles, Jack Huston, Ron Perlman and John Hurt. Tatopoulos' credits include the "Underworld" films, Silent Hill, I, Robot, Godzilla and Independence Day.

Outlander begins when a space craft crashes into the majestic fjords of ancient Norway and into the time of the Vikings. From the wreckage emerge two bitter enemies: a soldier from another world – Kainan – and a bloodthirsty creature known as the Moorwen. Man and monster both seeking revenge for violence committed against them. As the Moorwen ravages the Viking world, killing everything in its path, Kainan forms an unlikely alliance with the primitive but fierce warriors. Combining his advanced technology with ancient Iron Age weapons, the hero leads a desperate attempt to kill the monster - before it destroys them all.

The Weinstein Company release is directed by Howard McCain from a screenplay he wrote with Dirk Blackman.

I like the design:up:

I'd forgotten about this, looks like it's heading the same way as The Mutant Chronicles and Pathfinder. :csad:

So sad to see Jim Caviezel's career after "The Passion". It's only reali highlight was his turn as the Timothy McVeigh-esque terrorist in "Deja Vu".

Ron Perlman is unrecognizable in that poster.

The effects are a lot better then I thought they'd be.

That looked fantastic. I hope the release date is announced soon.

That poster looks like it could be a poster for a new He-man movie..lol

Anyway...I think this movie looks totally awesome and original. As I was watching it, I was thinking they should have done a new Predator movie like this...or well.

That trailer was leagues better than I thought. I hav ehope for this film now.

looks like a good version of what Pathfinder should have been, and no offense you guys buy this doesn't look that great, looks like a DVD waiter to me.

Crap...I thought this was the reboot for Highlander. I read it wrong. sigh.

Outlander played at the Locarno Film Festival and this HR reviewer liked it a lot. Still no release date.
Film Review: Outlander
Bottom Line: A rousing good time with a futuristic monster taking on the Norsemen

By Ray Bennett
Aug. 15, 2008

LOCARNO, Switzerland -- Here's a twist for fans of creature features: Aliens versus Vikings. There's no reason to suppose that if extra-terrestrials visit Earth it has to be in modern times. In Howard McCain's "Outlander," futuristic terrors land in 10th century Norway with no idea what they're getting into. It's entertaining nonsense with major league special effects, larger-than-life characters and inventive monsters that draw on the "Aliens" and "Predator" models, being terrifying but also vaguely sympathetic.

The film had its world premiere at the Locarno International Film Festival and, handled suitably by the Weinstein Company in the U.S. and Wild Bunch internationally, it should do crowd-pleasing business all around.

The opening sequence is all science fiction as a space ship zooms through the skies and crashes on a remote seaside cliff top. Jim Caviezel ("The Passion of the Christ") plays Kainan, the lone survivor of the crash/ He quickly uses a portable machine that is both tracking device and database to acquire -- via his retina -- everything he needs to know about his new location.

Appearing invulnerable with a nifty 25th century sidearm, the intruder explores the terrain and discovers a village that has been decimated with buildings burned and bodies everywhere. He is quickly knocked off his feet, disarmed and captured by a Viking warrior on horseback named Wulfric (Jack Huston), who carries him to a vast encampment.

There, Kainan meets wise old King Rothgar (John Hurt) and his lovely but dangerous daughter Freya (Sophia Myles) and learns about a rival king named Gunnar (Ron Perlman), whose village was destroyed.

Without revealing anything about himself, Kainan convinces Rothgar and his people that he has inadvertently brought with him from the north a fearsome creature called the Moorwen. After assorted games that lead to male bonding, they all set off to find the beast.

All the crafts are topline in the film with the highly convincing Moorwen designed by Patrick Tatopolous and visual effects supervised by David Kuklish. Many scenes are subterranean and under water with Pierre Gill's cinematography paying off handsomely.

Both the Viking period and the sci-fi stuff are handled well although not much is made of Kainan's presumably advanced powers except for the ability to spend a long time underwater.

Caviezel knows by now how to play saviors, Huston has the family swagger and Hurt has a fine old time as the Viking king. Myles looks the part too even if her plummy English vowels and crisp consonants jar a bit but then again you'd be amazed if a daughter of John Hurt didn't speak well.

Production companies: The Weinstein Company, Ascendant Pictures, Virtual Film. Cast: Jim Caviezel, Sophia Myles, Jack Huston, John Hurt, Ron Perlman. Director, screenwriter: Howard McCain. Screenwriter, executive producer: Dirk Blackman. Producers: Christ Roberts, John Schimmel. Executive producers: Barrie Osborne, Don Carmody, Kia Jam, Christopher Eberts, Karen Loop. Director of photography: Pierre Gill. Production designer: David Hacki. Music: Geoff Zanelli. Costume designer: Debrah Hanson. Editor: David Dodson. Sales agent: Wild Bunch. Not rated, 115 minutes.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr...hQ1QnMDP4b0fBJVMn74gMQS!2028563198&&rid=11524

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"