Welcome to Earth One! - Part 1

The execution (read: NOT the concept) of Bruce and Gordon's characterizations were my main problems with vol. 1 mostly Bruce though. The supporting cast in general is what I enjoyed the most in the end.

I couldn't tell you because I didn't think his Batman in volume 1 was "just okay". I liked his Batman in volume 1 and even more here in volume 2. It's definitely like a year one the character is progressing and growing. Volume 2 takes place 6 months after volume 1 and the birthday boy.

Fair enough and thanks for the info. :)

Bruce himself is more likable here than he was in Volume 1, at least I thought so. He's still pretty flawed and vulnerable, but he seems a lot more heroic in this one.

Well that's good to hear. I'll take a look for it at the comic shop today, though they usually sell for the price on the book so I'll likely just end up ordering from Amazon.

In the event that I don't dig TT: EO I will take solace in the fact that Wonder Woman: Earth One isn't too far away.

:highfive:

...and yet Detective Comics and Batman & Robin have been 2 of my favorite monthlies for a hot minute now. Same with Batman '66. The only Batman book I haven't liked is the flagship book but a new creative team could easily change that. I thought New 52 Detective Comics was straight up trash until John Layman turned it around and now Manapul and Buccellato have also picked up the slack.

But yeah I guess I'll pass on this and check out Teen Titans: Earth One since I haven't yet instead. In the event that I don't dig TT: EO I will take solace in the fact that Wonder Woman: Earth One isn't too far away.

I asked recently in the Batman titles thread but Detective has been great recently? I had to drop it a while back to save some $ but maybe I will pick it up again or look into grabbing the trades.

I'm surprised by how much I liked Batman EO Vol 2. It had some nice twists in there, and Bruce's characterization was an improvement over Vol 1.

That new Bat Symbol has to go, though.

Geoff Jones talks Batman Earth One volume 2

[YT]OVeYZehfAl4#t=285[/YT]

Sweet glad to know they're already working on volume 3 and that it should be available early 2016. Also nice to hear that they're definitely planning ahead and doing more than just 3 volumes :woot:

still haven't bought volume 2 cant wait to get it though

I've avoided reading Batman Vol. 1 for so long thinking it was another redundant origin, but I was pleasantly surprised. I'm really looking forward to reading Vol. 2 now.

Sweet glad to know they're already working on volume 3 and that it should be available early 2016. Also nice to hear that they're definitely planning ahead and doing more than just 3 volumes :woot:
JMS is already working on volume 4 for Superman. I don't know who is doing volume 2 for Wonder Woman

I was a fan of the first volume. I may love volume 2 even more. This bruce is so human. I like how we see him grow. He's very flawed, he makes a lot of mistakes, but he's a character that feels real. I feel the same about Johns batman in justice league, but in a different way.

Killer Croc was simply amazing. At first, he's downright scary, and then, he becomes more. Alfred was great. I would have liked more Bullock. His journey is terrible. When he thinks thing will become better, he's down on his luck again.

Riddler was really different, I think this version worked for this story, but he wasn't the most interesting thing obviously.​

Vol. 2 was a great follow up to vol. 1. This version of Batman is very much "Year One". He's still learning as he goes, and that's a refreshing change from the Earth 0 Batman. The story was well done overall and I thought The Riddler had a truly menacing presence.

Can't wait for Vol. 3 :up:

Just finished Batman Earth One, Vol. 1. I, too, felt whatever about it when it came out but you can't go wrong with Gary Frank, man haha. I overall enjoyed the first book--thought it was a bit uneventful, if you will. I mean, compare it to Superman's Vol. 1. I enjoyed it tonally, and I think there's solid storytelling there but the end kind of left me wanting more but in the way that I don't think you get fed enough. Hopefully Vol. 2 kind of corrects the wrongs and pushes even further. All I hear are good things.

If you liked volume 1, you will like volume 2 as well.

Just finished Earth One, Vol. 2. WAY better than Vol. 1. I enjoy Vol. 1 but obviously with a sequel, you're given the chance to improve and surprise more.

Pros -
• Starts off with a bang and the setup/pace just snowballs into a perfect momentum.
• Loved the teases throughout the book. (e.g. Batmobile, the upgraded suit, Catwoman)
• Relationship between Bruce and Alfred is starting to endear.
• The amount of intrigue after each section.
Cons -
• Couple of wtf moments with certain plots. (Killer Croc wanting sympathy/Killer Croc being alive at the end)
• The "upgraded" suit was a bit anti-climactic. The build up to the reveal was real cool but when you turn the page to see its spread page, and it looks like the same suit basically.

Question for those who've read it--
I'm confused about the whole thing with there being five people who work for the city that took over The Penguin's reigns. Batman mentions that he thinks The Riddler is trying to kill those people in order to hide himself, whose the fifth person? But then it turns out that those people had accounts linked to Bruce? Obviously The Riddler set that up but I don't see how that whole plot point is resolved?

Just finished Earth One, Vol. 2. WAY better than Vol. 1. I enjoy Vol. 1 but obviously with a sequel, you're given the chance to improve and surprise more.

Pros -
• Starts off with a bang and the setup/pace just snowballs into a perfect momentum.
• Loved the teases throughout the book. (e.g. Batmobile, the upgraded suit, Catwoman)
• Relationship between Bruce and Alfred is starting to endear.
• The amount of intrigue after each section.
Cons -
• Couple of wtf moments with certain plots. (Killer Croc wanting sympathy/Killer Croc being alive at the end)
• The "upgraded" suit was a bit anti-climactic. The build up to the reveal was real cool but when you turn the page to see its spread page, and it looks like the same suit basically.

Question for those who've read it--
I'm confused about the whole thing with there being five people who work for the city that took over The Penguin's reigns. Batman mentions that he thinks The Riddler is trying to kill those people in order to hide himself, whose the fifth person? But then it turns out that those people had accounts linked to Bruce? Obviously The Riddler set that up but I don't see how that whole plot point is resolved?
I think Killer Croc was the best part of the book.
The fifth person is the riddler.

now that you know about Waylon, maybe you will like his parts more?

now that you know about Waylon, maybe you will like his parts more?
Yes! With the Riddler stuff also, now that I know more about them. I always give my comics a second read through before I go to another book. It's why I'm so slow at getting through them lol.

Yes! With the Riddler stuff also, now that I know more about them. I always give my comics a second read through before I go to another book. It's why I'm so slow at getting through them lol.

If it helps you appreciate them more, it's the good way to read them :yay:

If it helps you appreciate them more, it's the good way to read them :yay:
Read it again last night. Killer Croc is more likable the second time around. The Riddler and the five people taking over Penguin plot was more understandable too.

Flash: Earth One by JMS
Aquaman: Earth One by Francis Manapul

Some art from WW: Earth One:

dLcwyIl.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/zdEbk

Is that s*** gonna be out sometime this decade?

So looking forward to The Flash: Earth One. JMS kills Superman: Earth One so no doubt will bring the same to Flash. Question is, who's going to be drawing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"