Welcome to the Film Lounge - Part 1

The logo for upcoming short film :)

al_logo_01.jpg

yes...totally worth it

picked up LA Confidential on blu ray for $10 at Best Buy, easily worth it for one of the best movies of the past 20 years

I did the same thing about a month ago (bought L.A. Confidential). It's a really good film with a great cast. I don't think we see enough Guy Pierce as we should.

that was Pearces first American role....not a bad start, I think it was Crowes second or third American film as well

Guy Pearce hasn't been a lot of bad films, which is a good thing. So seeing him less but seeing him good things, is always a positive.

So can someone explain to me how Titanic became the highest grossing film of all time before Avatar? What innovation did Titanic add to the film industry like other high grossing films before it?

nothing in terms of innovation...it touched a chord with a certain audience who saw it over and over and over

it was still posting sold out showings 3 and 4 months after release

it was actually quite infamous before its release....everyone knew about Camerons big project, but it was late, over budget, and almost every industry speculator had it pegged as a serious bomb

So can someone explain to me how Titanic became the highest grossing film of all time before Avatar? What innovation did Titanic add to the film industry like other high grossing films before it?
It was a love story that lots of people went to see multiple times and it opened in a Winter that had very little competition for the next few months. It was pretty much in the right place at the right time.

Last edited:
opened on Christmas Day

and yea....pretty much right place, right time

Teenage girls saw it over and over and over and over again.... :cwink:

I remember reading about Titanic before it came out, it was like a lot of people in the industry wantd it to fail, like it was almost personal, they were just after Cameron and it didn't matter what lies or rumours they tried to spread to discredit the movie, or what dirty methods they employed as long as they got at him. Which is a real shame, because then you get a situation where the person at the centre of the production ends up feeling guarded and does not know who to trust in their circle of friends and so-called comrades. edit: Thank God he does have some real friends with integrity who was not involved at all with these conspiracies, and hopefully will have some others who were involved but now regret their involvement.
But of course, some people don't care about that, they will just keep on keepin on, ploughing the same field and playing games, unable to accept the fact that their lies and horrible methods of operation did not in fact succeed.
i mean, why did they feel they had to employ such drastic and downright terrible methods in the first place?

Last edited:
because Cameron was pissing people off, and didn't have the best reputation in Hollywood at the time

had also gone through a very public and very ugly divorce with Linda Hamilton

because Cameron was pissing people off, and didn't have the best reputation in Hollywood at the time

If the critics who were making up lies and employing these terrible methods were so sure the movie was a disaster and was going to fail anyway, why go to such extraordinary lengths to try and bring the movie down? Why not just lket it fail all by itself? Was it because they knew at heart it was a truly a good movie, but had just been going through some extraordinary problems when it was in it's worst moments, and that these problems would soon be a thing of the past?

had also gone through a very public and very ugly divorce with Linda Hamilton

Yeah, and he found a new wife, I hear they are going into marriage counselling now.

If the critics who were making up lies and employing these terrible methods were so sure the movie was a disaster and was going to fail anyway, why go to such extraordinary lengths to try and bring the movie down? Why not just lket it fail all by itself? Was it because they knew at heart it was a truly a good movie, but had just been going through some extraordinary problems when it was in it's worst moments, and that these problems would soon be a thing of the past?

it's not that anyone was making up lies, it was just looking at what was going on....the movie had been delayed 6 months already, it was severely over budget, and everyone knows how Cameron is on set, very stern, almost dictatorial, severe perfectionist

it cost $200 million to make, and not one explosion, car chase, or anything

some actors who have worked with him won't work with him again, and some like how he runs things

he nailed peoples cell phones to walls during the filming of Avatar

Titanic proves that you don't need to be innovative or new to succeed, you merely need to know your demographic and play to what they view as entertaining. As dumb as the amount of Academy Awards it got was (Special Effects? Really? A model boat over dinosaurs and aliens!?), it made its money honestly.

my fault....I skimmed your post, I do agree that the press was unnecessarily harsh

Not harsh enough, if you ask me. But I thrive on the unnecessary.

I think, a good chunk of it was because Cameron didn't talk to the press much during production and basically shut the press out

it's not that anyone was making up lies, it was just looking at what was going on....the movie had been delayed 6 months already, it was severely over budget, and everyone knows how Cameron is on set, very stern, almost dictatorial, severe perfectionist

it cost $200 million to make, and not one explosion, car chase, or anything

some actors who have worked with him won't work with him again, and some like how he runs things

he nailed peoples cell phones to walls during the filming of Avatar

He also reportedly yelled at Leonardo DiCaprio until he was almost in tears for bringing food to a diabetic extra.

Titanic was getting awful press before it opened...a lot of people thought it was going to flop.

I liked it...then I got sick of it because it wouldn't go away. But I watched it again recently and forgot that it's actually pretty decent movie.

my fault....I skimmed your post, I do agree that the press was unnecessarily harsh

You appear to have the talent for conceding a point without actually appearing to concede a point, you know that the press were deliberately lying about things, and agreed so, it went beyond being harsh.

Last edited:
what do you think the press lied about??

oh and speaking of Titanic, Cameron is converting the movie to 3D with a planned 2012 theatrical re release

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"