Well, so much for Sodam Yat...

Miss Webb

Sidekick
Reaction score
SOFT SPOILERS

Let's just say he acquitted himself well against Prime. Still lost, though. So...why all the ION hype? Maybe Kyle would have done better. Or maybe ION isn't all he's cracked up to be.

And apparently Alan Scott is still counting his wrinkles doing nothing. For a supposed powerhouse he really hasn't been in the mix (except for the brief bum rush which everyone stopped to admire the sunrise.)

Now I'm really annoyed. Bring in pre-crisis Kal-L, for cripes sake, and choke the stinker senseless.

It really wasn't Alan Scott's story to be in. Other than being called Green Lantern, he has nothing do whatsoever in the business of the Corps. He only got involved because they brought the game to his court.

The two things that get to me about the fight were the flashbacks-- which weren't really necessary, (I guess the writer was trying to draw parallels between the two characters with similar histories, but it wasn't really necessary I don't think. ), and the absence of all the people from the Superman-Prime Special. Only a few minutes can be said to take place between when Superman Prime breaks free of some of the most powerful heroes in DC (including Wonder-Woman) and the encounter with Ion. Where were they? Were they just watching, "Gee I hope Ion can beat this guy"? The issue was entertaining, but I'm a bit disappointed that it was a 1 on 1 fight.

It was telling us about Sodam. Anyone who thought he would be able to take down Prime alone was foolish.

I don't normally blow a casket over this kind of thing, but dude.

SPOILERS.

In the freaking TITLE.

Yeah, I saw the thread title, and I was like "I don't want to read that thread because it'll--oh...wait...well, ****."

Hahahah, he's gonna blow away a little baby casket or a coffin of some sort.

OK, i was abit confused here. Sodam Yat bf his fight w/ prime was a "superman lite with a power ring", then he became endowed with the ion force along with his said SM lite powers and power ring(aka the most powerful weapon in the universe). And since we saw what Kyle was capable of as ION, why the heck did this guy try to fight SBP straight up? Besides being almost at SBP's power level, he's the most powerful GREEN LANTERN there is! i saw nothing during the fight that reminded me this guy had a power ring.he's freakin trying to stab him with uranium rods and tombstones, but yet he has the power topretty much do anything. This issue was pathetic. the fight was pathetic, i hope that the conclusion somehow can make up for this. The power of ION, humph

Yeah, that's what I like about the character, actually. That's he's actually been around for a while. It really is like a prophecy coming true.

Very well done to Geoff Johns for bringing back a tasty old chestnut like that.

I'm gonna have to go back and re-read that thing. All those old GLC comics, the quarterlies and Tales annuals, they were so much fun! A lot of times really weird and edgy for DC superhero fare of the time.

sodam_ya.gif

Sodam Yat
(From "Tales of the GLC Annual" #2, 1986)

250px-Sodam_Yat_Ion.jpg

Sodam Yat/ION
(from GLC #17)

Just for those who don't already know, according to the source material, Sodam Yat was prophesized as the ultimate Green Lantern. This prophecy was revealed to the Green Lantern, Abin Sur by the Empire of Tears in Tales of the Green Lantern Corps Annual #2 back in 1986 (some 21 years ago). Back then he was known to be a muscular Daxamite, but who would have known that he would have the powers of ION? I have to admit that they did a fantastic job of tying up the story and making it meld perfectly with historic source material.

Here is an except from that storied prophecy:

Prophecy.jpg

One other point that should be known was that during the Bronze Age, The Guardians of the Universe considerd Superman to be the successor to the power ring and possibly the greatest Green Lantern of them all, but due to fate, that didn't happen (Superman #257 (1972), by Elliot S! Maggin, Dick Dillin, and Dick Giordano).

I don't normally blow a casket over this kind of thing, but dude.

SPOILERS.

In the freaking TITLE.

Oh, for goodness sake...didn't you see the top line that said SOFT SPOILERS? If you didn't want to know, close your eyes!

Or one. You can peep with the other. :cwink:

But my suspicions are proving correct about Prime's sudden 'aging' process...especially after reading the latest 52, where he was with that 5th dimension imp, Myxy. Seems like everything on Prime ain't er..."man sized." Hee hee...

MORE SOFT SPOILERS.

Apparently, Prime's body is absorbing so much power his muscles are swelling up, and his body is simulating age...kind of reminiscent of what happened to Trunks when he went into an early super saiyan phase (for all you DBZ freaks out there). Don't be shocked if by the end of this, Prime is OLD! You heard it here first....he may reach critical mass like a star or something, and POOOOOOM!!!!:wow:

I frankly thought Sodam Yat was a cocky idiot.

Sure 'nuff. And doofy looking in spots, like a vamp/goth wannabe in green. The snarky grin in the previews was weird, along with the elfin appearance. Guess he read his emerald press clippings too much.

Oh, for goodness sake...didn't you see the top line that said SOFT SPOILERS? If you didn't want to know, close your eyes!

did you even read his post? adding "SOFT SPOILERS" to the first line of your post is useless because you've already spoiled everything in the thread title.

SOFT SPOILERS
Let's just say he acquitted himself well against Prime. Still lost, though. So...why all the ION hype?
Well, I loved that. I didn't see it coming at all. I was even complaining about how DC was sooooo predictable. Wow, I was wrong on this one. I love the character of Supes Prime, I think it was a nice surprise to see him win.

He did pretty well, the longest I've seen anyone last against Prime so far, apart from maybe the Supermen after he went through the sun.

As for his powers, he just got them, and the Guardians never told him how to use them (or what abilities he would gain under the yellow sun, just that he'd get some things; or that he was vulnerable to lead; geez, guys, a little help?).

did you even read his post? adding "SOFT SPOILERS" to the first line of your post is useless because you've already spoiled everything in the thread title.

Well if THAT header was a giveaway, then people have great imaginations...I've seen threads that literally tell a line from the story here. But there's gotta be some twist that we aren't seeing yet...just having Emo go through stuff can't continue.

And I still wanna see Kal-L back if for no reason other than to make PeeGee happy again.

Well if THAT header was a giveaway, then people have great imaginations...I've seen threads that literally tell a line from the story here. But there's gotta be some twist that we aren't seeing yet...just having Emo go through stuff can't continue.

And I still wanna see Kal-L back if for no reason other than to make PeeGee happy again.

Well considering that the only things we've been talking about in regards to Sodam Yat were 1. Him becoming Ion and 2. His fight with SPB, it's not that hard to come up with a reasonable conclusion in regards to the title of "Well, so much for Sodam Yat....." It's either about him not becoming Ion, or getting beat by SPB. Both of which are still spoilers. So you lose, good day.

So apparently the prophecy goes a little wrong when it prophesies the defeat of the Lanterns. But up until then, it all happened. The Corps was destroyed (by Hal Jordan), the enemies of the Corps rose up against them, Ranx and the Qwardians and all the rest joined the Sinestro Corps, a Daxamite named Sodam Yat became the Ultimate Green Lantern (ION), and the prophecy was good up till that point.

Way to go DC. Usually things like that just get forgotten. I'm glad to see that DC's sense of continuity can still deliver a punch like that.

Others have already pwned you quite adequately on this matter, but I'll reiterate...:)

I could have the imagination of a ******ed sponge and your thread title would still make it 400% clear that Sodam Yat loses the battle against Superboy this week. How the heck else are we supposed to imagine "Well, so much for Sodam Yat" considering that the entire issue obviously revolves around their fight and has been hyped to be so for months now? Even if we've never read this comic in our lives and have no idea who Sodam Yat is, your title still makes it clear that something very bad happens to him, which is still a spoiler, especially considering that you posted it on the very first day the issue came out in the states.

I'm not even that annoyed; I've read the issue by now. But you outright hosed up, plain and simple.

Others have already pwned you quite adequately on this matter, but I'll reiterate...:)

I could have the imagination of a ******ed sponge and your thread title would still make it 400% clear that Sodam Yat loses the battle against Superboy this week. How the heck else are we supposed to imagine "Well, so much for Sodam Yat" considering that the entire issue obviously revolves around their fight and has been hyped to be so for months now? Even if we've never read this comic in our lives and have no idea who Sodam Yat is, your title still makes it clear that something very bad happens to him, which is still a spoiler, especially considering that you posted it on the very first day the issue came out in the states.

I'm not even that annoyed; I've read the issue by now. But you outright hosed up, plain and simple.

well, it could have been a swerve...I could have talked about whether kyle is gay, or hal is bisexual, just to toss folk off the cart (and yes, there is a NEW debate on this over at DC Comics!) :oldrazz:

But for now I'll satisfy myself knowing that Prime didn't get Mixy, even though the Imp told him his 'pole' was still boy sized despite having a big ol' body...all bod, no rod... Boy, Prime nearly blew a vein out over THAT.

well, it could have been a swerve...I could have talked about whether kyle is gay, or hal is bisexual, just to toss folk off the cart (and yes, there is a NEW debate on this over at DC Comics!) :oldrazz:

But for now I'll satisfy myself knowing that Prime didn't get Mixy, even though the Imp told him his 'pole' was still boy sized despite having a big ol' body...all bod, no rod... Boy, Prime nearly blew a vein out over THAT.
It doesn't take much to rile him does it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"