Marvel Films Werewolf by Night

Loved this movie/special

One of the best and most unique films in the MCU that can hopefully lead into more of this type of horror/supernatural projects

Gael García & Laura Donnelly did an excellent job and had great chemistry. Also cool to see Man-Thing make an appearance. Loved the soundtrack and the black & white presentation they went for. Nice little throwback to the classic Universal horror films

It was decent, It's pretty much a combo of Univeral Monsters, Hammer Horror, and some grindhouse splatter all rolled into one, but not as intense.

Can't wait to see more of Man-Thing and Elsa Bloodstone.

Two great MCU TV shows in two days, what are the odds. For me the stand out was Varussa, she definitely hammed it up. Anyway I dug the old movie vibe, even the acting.

btw, why the did hunters go after each other from the get go? I thought they should go after the monster to claim the stone?

Going to start this in the next 30 mins or so.

I like the alternative take on the opening credits. :D

Yeah, that “2.5 out of 5” review on the front page of the main website by Luke Y. Thompson can f**k right off. This was great. Like, really well done and entertaining. Such great style and panache. If this is the kind of stuff we can expect from these specials, I can’t wait to see what they come up with in the future.

Can the website get rid of that guy for reviews, please? I have yet to see a review from him that is actually good.

I thought it was great .

I think the Special Presentation should definitely be a format they use in the future.

Frankly, I think She Hulk would have benefited from a Special Presentation intro film, as opposed to dragging the story out over 8 episodes. And that's a show I like for the most part.

I also really dug that it wasn't slavish devoted to making it connected to everything else, i.e. no mention of the blip, Stark Industries, SHEILD etc.

At this point, everyone knows that if it's Marvel , it's part of the MCU , so there's no longer the need to do the " wink wink " nods to what we all already know.

Gail was great as always, and makes an interesting new Marvel lead.

I've never seen Donnelly before, but she was great .

Man I really enjoyed this special. It's just a simple, short straightforward monster story. Loved the throwbacks to the Universal Monster movies, even down to the simple title card at the beginning. And I thought the practical werewolf makeup/costume was nice. It harkens back to Jack Pierce's work from the Wolfman movies and Werewolf of London but still did it's own thing.

As others have said, I really hope they open the door to doing more one off specials. Obviously, more with Horror side of Marvel would be great. But I would really like to see them dive into other genres and lesser known stuff. Maybe a Western special with someone like the Two-Gun Kid.

Last edited:
I think I’ve thought of a character they could do for the next Halloween special:

Sleepwalker (Earth-616) | Marvel Database | Fandom

Do it as an 80s/early 90s quasi-horror/sci-style mini movie, ala Dreamscape or Nightmare on Elm Street, with a little bit of Time Cop thrown in for good measure.
I'd really like this.
Though I wonder how they'll spread out the specials and if they have any plans to continue some of the characters in them. For example, would they first want to focus on returning to this corner of the Marvel Universe and do more "Legion of Monsters" adjacent content with these characters or similar ones like N'Kantu the Living Mummy or Manphibian? Or do they really want all specials to be fully standalone without plans for these characters.

As others have said, I really hope they open the door to doing more one of specials. Obviously, more with Horror side of Marvel would be great. But I would really like to see them dive into other lesser known stuff. Maybe a western special with someone like the Two-Gun Kid.
Yeah I was thinking the same. I think historical specials could be a great way to expand on the Marvel world in ways that don't immediately tie into current meta plots of the MCU.
  • Indeed a Western special could have the likes of Two-Gun Kid, Kid Colt, Rawhide Kid, Red Wolf, the Phantom Rider, maybe even the return of Salma Hayek as Ajak.
  • Maybe an Arthurian Legend special which has Sir Percival of Scandia and the Ebony Blade, Morgan le Fay, Merlyn, the Celtic sorceress who would go on to become "The Ancient One", Otherworld, etc.
  • A World War II special with golden age heroes and the potential return of Peggy Carter, The Howling Commandos, etc.
  • A special about Bashenga, the first Black Panther.
etc.

This was awesome, Bernal and Laura Donnelly were great in it. The black and white worked both as a perfect homage to Universal horror movies as well as a clever way to hide the gore and keep it from being TV-MA. I also loved Man-Thing's MCU debut and I hope he gets his own special or even a series someday.
When he busted in at the end to rip Bloodstone apart I shouted "YES!"

Haven't watched this yet? In terms of scariness, is this on the level of old B movie werewolf movies by Universal or Hammer, or more like a modern horror film?

And is this a comedy or does it have comedic moments? Or full-on tense drama?

I would not mind if we saw an in universe documentary for one of the special presentations. Something like that could reduce the over reliance on CGI.

Welp, it's hands down the bloodiest MCU production yet lol.

But this was a ton of fun for a special. Definitely nailed the classic monster movies/grindhouse vibe that it was going for. The Bloodstone is so damn pretty too.

I would not mind if we saw an in universe documentary for one of the special presentations. Something like that could reduce the over reliance on CGI.

Do a Blair Witch-style documentary expose on Man-Thing, where you have footage of the group in question traveling to pertinent locations and giving short little informative interviews, intercut with old newspaper clippings/articles/archival footage talking about who it is and where it came from. Have a bunch of them get offed by the Touch at the end due to being so afraid.

Either that or do a fun, more lighthearted urban legend documentary about Sasquatch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"