What About Rick Jones?

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by KRYPTON INC., Jun 28, 2016.

1. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Just want to get a feel for this...

Would anyone be against including Rick Jones in some capacity? He's got the connection to the Mar-Vell era of course but in general I think he's been a character that should have been adapted to the MCU long ago. Yes... I know there's a blink and you'll miss it Easter Egg in TIH, but I am talking about actually making him a full fledged character. Carol's film could be a good place to intro him thus allowing for future involvement in Avengers, Cap or Hulk films.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BarryAllen ey b0ss

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised Rick hasn't popped up in the MCU. He seems like one of those old-school classic characters that would've been a no-brainer to show up (and tbh would've been a better "everyman" character than Coulson).

With a standalone Hulk movie not likely to happen anytime soon, I think having Rick show up in Captain Marvel would be a great idea. Not only does he have the mentioned pre-existing connections to Mar-Vell from the books, Carol is in need of a supporting cast and Rick could be her main friend (possibly love interest if not Mar-Vell). And with Infinity War coming up, it would give him a chance to interact with the rest of the Avengers.

3. Mike Murdock Registered

I'm surprised he hasn't shown up somewhere (likely in a throwaway role, to be honest). He has a connection to Mar-Vell, but I'll be honest, I generally think of that connection as a distant third - he's Hulk's sidekick followed by Cap's. I never really liked the attempt to recreate Billy Batson with the Nega Bands.

I imagine if they included him, he'd be older. Otherwise, maybe in a different movie.

4. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

I suspect its a mix of "We haven't done another Hulk movie" and "His role in the setting is kind of iffy". He can't be a kid sidekick because those are out-of-theme, and he can't be the genre savvy veteran because the modern age of heroes is only just starting. He's just left without much of a niche, which is likely why he's been left out.

5. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I think the MCU could use a character like Rick, but I don't expect him to show up in Carol's movie. I'm not opposed, though.

6. Silvermoth Avenger

I have to be honest, I've always hated Rick. Why have Rick when you can have someone cool like Amadeus Cho.

And if a character like Monica Rambeau was not able to appear because they wanted to get Rick then I would be very displeased.

7. Abudefduf Registered

I don't think I know who this guy is, and if I do then I must've totally forgotten about him. Going by Wikipedia it seems like his connections with Carol's Captain Marvel are tenuous at best, so personally I wouldn't waste any time trying to get him into this movie, especially if it's at the expense of more interesting characters like Silvermoth said.

But then again as I said my knowledge of him is very limited, so what do I know.

#7 Abudefduf, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  8. Mike Murdock Registered

I highly doubt one would be a replacement for the other because they couldn't possibly serve the same story role (unless you want Monica Rambeau to be limited to minor sidekick).

I do agree that Amadeus Cho would be a good addition to the MCU. If they ever get another Hulk movie, that's where I'd put him in (over Rick Jones). He's a more interesting character for the modern world because he can do his own thing too.

9. Silvermoth Avenger

Monica was just an example of how literally any other character would be better and more useful to the script than Rick

10. Mike Murdock Registered

Rick's insignificance is a strength, though. This is a Carol Danvers movie. I don't want Monica Rambeau reduced to a minor bit character or anyone's assistant.

11. Mike5575 I'm the Captain now!

So, if Rick Jones was a supporting character of Mar-Vell, then wouldn't his presense in this film make him a supporting character of a supporting character?

I have to strongly disagree that Carol "needs" a supporting cast. She already has it.

Captain Marvel's supporting cast:
    Mar-Vell
    Rhodey
    Jessica Drew Spider-Woman(I hope)
    Alpha Flight(Sasquatch, Puck, Wendy, and Aurora)

Marvel could add Rick Jones, but it would make a lot more sense if the Captain Marvel movie were about Mar-Vell instead. Rick Jones just seems out of place.

12. Mike Murdock Registered

I don't want Rick Jones, I just want him more than Monica Rambeau in this movie. But I'm doubtful that Jessica Drew or Alpha Flight will be there either.

I think it's more likely to see someone like Michael Rossi, Tracy Burke, Frank Gianelli or some of the KDS introductions like Rose, Wendy Kawaski, or Kitt Renner.

13. coluanprime Registered

I don't particaly care about him, but especially not if it means we can't have Monica or Jessica Drew.

14. BarryAllen ey b0ss

I doubt Jessica Drew or Alpha Flight has a place in this movie (AF as a space organization is fairly recent and more importantly, does Marvel even own the rights to them?), and I'd rather not see Monica Rambeau used in a bit part or as a token black sidekick for Carol.

15. captainbigapple Registered

It would be good fan service to have rick Jones in the MCU, but since he has not shown up in any Hulk or Captain America movies or TV shows, it would take some really clever writing to squeeze him in now.

The presence of Monica Rambeau would be a "bonus point" for me; Something that would be very, very nice, but not obvious or neccessary.

16. Spider-Aziz Spelunking

Love how he has Superman's cape wrapped on his shoulders. :D

Rick Jones is long overdue, he's one of the greatest characters in all of Marvel Comics, and he's continually ignored in live action.

17. raw manga Registered

The Kree hero Captain Mar-Vell was bonded to Rick due to only being able to function out of the Negative Zone for a few hours. Using the Negative Zone portal in the Baxter Building seemed to remove that limitation. Shortly after Rick and Mar-Vell had to be re-merged. Eventually, they were separated.

18. Obi-Ron Deal with it

Ugh, I can't stand Amadeus Cho. Making him a Hulk made him even worse. Rick Jones all the way, even just a walk on in Agents Of SHIELD or something

19. MbJ Registered

Though in theory they could do what they did with War Machine and introduce her in a supporting role before having her become an actual superhero in a future film.

Rick would be a rather odd addition to the film but I could see it somewhat. Carol doesn't really have a huge or notable supporting cast so I could easily see them taking characters from other iterations of Captain Marvel.

Not necessarily Rick but I could see it happen with others.

20. AvengerPA Registered

Rick Jones appeared in The Incredible Hulk as a student at Culver University. That is the only role Rick will have in this universe.

21. jackjohn Registered

I always hated Rick Jones.

22. Hypestyle Registered

I'm not hung up on seeing Rick. I'm not sure what is the role for him, if any, in the MCU now.

23. Silvermoth Avenger

I never got his appeal. Why have Rick jones when you can have Amadeus?

24. Mike Murdock Registered

I would have Amadeus Cho with Hulk, but never with Mar-Vell. That being said, he's not a big part of Carol Danvers's background, so I don't see the need here.

25. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Because Rick Jones isn't an obnoxious Gary Stu? Rick Jones isn't used as a tool for pushing an utterly nonsensical whitewashing of another character?