What are the worst comic book movies of all time?

Really? I actually would've never thought that.

So what did TDK(R) do that you didn't like the latter two films of Nolan's trilogy?

I've been consistent in my praise of BB(yes, it has some problems but they don't sink the film) forever on here. It's the only thing mainly about Batman that I've ever liked(I don't like any of the 1st 4 films or the Batman cartoons). At the point that BB came out I never thought I'd see something regarding Batman that I would like. So you can imagine my surprise when I really liked Begins.

As to your other question:

TDK ended up being more contrived and plot convenient than I ever could have imagined. If I had bothered to watch The Prestige before seeing TDK then I might have been primed to lower my expectations since it's just as bad, IMO.

TDKR(which I think is better but still not quite good enough for me to give a pass to) was sunk ultimately because it bored me so much. There's some good stuff in there but I just didn't like the story and thought Bane was a very lackluster villain. Catwoman was the lone bright spot for me in that movie. But even she wasn't enough to save the film for me.

It's kinda hard to decide between B&R, Catwoman, Green Lantern, Ghost Rider:SoV and the two FF movies...

The genre has become so bad , that it's really hard to decide. And then we have these old canon movies .

No if the genre has become anything is consistently good. In spite of what damaged dudes in the forum (including me of course) think, all movies after Iron Man are solid with only 2 downs, Iron Man 2 and Green Lantern. Even if i didn't like Captain America's James Bond rushed stupid climax it was a solid piece of superhero cinema, at least the 2/3 of it same thing for Batman, MoS and IM3. Personal preference conflicts with fact, and the fact is that these films are at least well made technically and to me thats a big step forward. We have to fix the stories and the people that worked on these films. Shane Black didn't give a **** about Iron Man as a character, Nolan didn't give a **** about Batman, Martin Campbell didn't give a **** about Green Lantern. Black and Nolan delivered good movies because it fit their style and preference. Iron Man 3 is a buddy-cop comedy without the cop part. Batman is a detective character piece. If Nolan was given Burton's script he would have failed and if Black was given Iron Man one he would have done the same. IMO of course.

Campbell was so out of his territory when he made GL.

I think we've had multiple 'downs' since Iron Man debuted in 2008. TDK, Punisher WZ, XMOW, GL, TDKR, GR: SOV yadda, yadda, yadda.

I am still baffled by the hatred some people have for Cap 1. It just seems weird.

I am still baffled by the hatred some people have for Cap 1. It just seems weird.
I enjoyed Cap, but I can definitely agree with many of the criticisms. The premise itself just doesn't lend well to good storytelling(Star spangled superhero winning a world war...right), and the final act was about as rote as it gets for the genre. Everything up to the point where he started going on missions with the Howling Commandos was golden, and it almost became a different movie from then on.

I thought CA: TFA was great up until the point that he came back across the American lines after having rescued Bucky and his regiment. After that it kind of fell apart. It still isn't a bad movie, but it wasn't the great film it could have been and looked to be halfway through. I still think it is the best Marvel Studios film that doesn't have Iron Man in it. When it first came out I had Thor more highly rated, but I have since swapped them. Captain America holds up better to repeated viewings.

Just off the top of my head...

Steel
Catwoman
The Spirit
Blade 3
Batman Forever
Batman & Robin
Spider-Man 3
X-Men 3
Ghost Rider
Ghost Rider 2
Superman 3
Superman 4
Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four 2
Elektra
Green Lantern

Last edited:
I don't love fictional version of WWII, so a big meh on the first Cap movie
Is the Shaquille O'Neal movie Steel based on a comic book or was it just a superhero movie with no comic book source material?
It's based on a comic character from DC comics

It's not hatred. It's just bad filmmaking.

People need to stop with the hate train. Things are good or bad. There isnt's some strange or malevolent intention in people's opinion. Hate is an intense feeling. Nobody gives a rat's ass about that Cap American film.

It's just one of the many turds Marvel Studios have been pooping. It aint easy being the worst of that bunch , but that Cap movie might actually win that prize.

The action montages are almost...offensive.

I have to say , Superman 3 takes the cake. It was the perfect showcase of Lester'S inability to work behind a camera. The script is also all kinds of horrendous. It starts with a stupid comedic bit that could be stolen from any of those crappy 80's comedy. The masterplan OF the evil guy is to control...Coffee. COFFEE!!

Last edited:
I personally loved Captain America: The First Avenger. I thought it was the perfect way to debut the character and really represented the comic well on screen. As a film, I thought it was done really well. That USO montage, Steve Rogers jumping on the grenade, etc. I loved the Raiders of the Lost Arc vibes the film gave me.

My only gripe with it is that third act was lame, but that seems to be a problem with superhero comic movies in general, old and new.

As far as the Marvel Universe films go, the only two that failed to impress me was the Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2. I LOVED Iron Man, Cap and the Avengers, thought Thor was great (even though I went in with a bias since I thought the character would be lame on screen) and enjoyed Iron Man 3.

Marvel/Disney has done way more right then wrong in my book. I don't get this Guardian Galaxy thing though.

CA:TFA is a strange movie to me. I loved it as I was seeing it, but the ending was kind of off and I never again fely like seeing it for a second time.

I love the Captain America movie but I wish the finale had been something other than charge headfirst into the bad guys hideout and hope for the best.

I liked Cap for having a unique setting that gave it a heart and soul unlike the other Marvel films. Yeah it has some issues but it made me actually like Chris Evans as an actor which is an achievement in itself.

It aint perfect but its far far far from one of the worst comic book films made.

And Captain America, the First Avenger

kO1iLRe.gif

Yeah, I agree. Cap's film is one of the best superhero movies ever made, IMO. But everyone is entitled to see things as they wish. And I say this as someone who prior to that movie has never liked Captain America.

And Captain America, the First Avenger

Agree to disagree then.

Last edited:

I didn't hate it but it is my least favorite out of the Avengers singles movies (so far).

For the most part I was just bored and the final act wasn't all that great.

Other horrible Superhero movies not yet mentioned here: Daredevil... actually we'll just stop there and stew on that for a while.

"zomg POS, IM2, IM3, TDK, TDKR, TASM, SR, FF, GL, Watchmen, AngHulk, CATFA hurr durr"

Trollus majorus. :whatever: Sorry, I meant Trollus majorii.

Haters may not like one or more of those, but to call any of them "the worst comic book movies of all time" is complete and utter bullswipe, and everybody with even an ounce of superhero movie gumption knows that.

There are CBMs that have been controversial because of "omg not canon --- teh rapin mah childhood" fanwankery, but CBMs that have been made in earnest and in good faith, and with large budgets to support that, don't deserve to be on lists of "the worst comic book movies of all time."

The Worst CBMs of all time have to be reserved for the shoddy workmanship, ****ty writing, complete and utter disregard for source material, and shoestring budgets of the *real* stinkers of the genre:

Steel
Supergirl
Superman IV
The Crow: City of Angels
The Spirit
Punisher 1989
Captain America 1990
Elektra
Catwoman
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Jonah Hex
Howard the Duck
Red Sonja 1985

And that, thankfully, doesn't even begin to cover the direct-to-video and TV movies that continue to be dredged up even on SyFy to this day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"