What are the worst comic book movies of all time?

Jonah Hex was one that I totally forgot about!

Such a good cast (Fox is hot and not that bad, shut your mouths..) but a horrible movie.

"zomg POS, IM2, IM3, TDK, TDKR, TASM, SR, FF, GL, Watchmen, AngHulk, CATFA hurr durr"

Trollus majorus. :whatever: Sorry, I meant Trollus majorii.

Haters may not like one or more of those, but to call any of them "the worst comic book movies of all time" is complete and utter bullswipe, and everybody with even an ounce of superhero movie gumption knows that.

There are CBMs that have been controversial because of "omg not canon --- teh rapin mah childhood" fanwankery, but CBMs that have been made in earnest and in good faith, and with large budgets to support that, don't deserve to be on lists of "the worst comic book movies of all time."

The Worst CBMs of all time have to be reserved for the shoddy workmanship, ****ty writing, complete and utter disregard for source material, and shoestring budgets of the *real* stinkers of the genre:

Steel
Supergirl
Superman IV
The Crow: City of Angels
The Spirit
Punisher 1989
Captain America 1990
Elektra
Catwoman
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Jonah Hex
Howard the Duck
Red Sonja 1985

And that, thankfully, doesn't even begin to cover the direct-to-video and TV movies that continue to be dredged up even on SyFy to this day.

So wait, if a movie has a high production value that means it can't be among the worst ever? That's similar to people saying that if a movie makes a lot of money then it must be a good quality movie by definition. I just don't see it that way.

And I resent the notion that we somehow owe the studios for deigning to descend from on high and making the movies we peasants always wanted them to make. It's the other way around. They owe us. Without our patronage they never would have existed in the first place. And throwing bajillions into a project doesn't mean it'll turn out any better than the shoe-string budgeted B-films of a generation ago.

One of the worst that I don't think I've seen someone bring up yet: Judge Dredd.

Damn it, I forgot about Jonah Hex and The Spirit. Both are atrocious!

I have to say , Superman 3 takes the cake. It was the perfect showcase of Lester'S inability to work behind a camera. The script is also all kinds of horrendous. It starts with a stupid comedic bit that could be stolen from any of those crappy 80's comedy. The masterplan OF the evil guy is to control...Coffee. COFFEE!!
Using something that big and needed in the lives of maybe most people is a good plan. I'm watching the Tuxedo right now, and the villains main idea is to control mineral water, that's big business

One of the worst that I don't think I've seen someone bring up yet: Judge Dredd.
I love that movie
The script is good, it has some issues in direction, and maybe some in casting, a bit more than the script

I love that movie
The script is good, it has some issues in direction, and maybe some in casting, a bit more than the script

We're talking Judge Dredd, right? The Stallone one? Not the latest one with Karl Urban?

You didn't drop 'Judge', so yes, I'm talking about the Stallone one

Okay. I just wanted to be sure since I know some people who get them confused. And you lost me when you said it had a good script...

The action montages are almost...offensive.

Even Rocky had a montage.:cwink: But seriously, I don't get how we even get close to offensive from an action montage.

I have to say , Superman 3 takes the cake. It was the perfect showcase of Lester's inability to work behind a camera. The script is also all kinds of horrendous. It starts with a stupid comedic bit that could be stolen from any of those crappy 80's comedy. The masterplan OF the evil guy is to control...Coffee. COFFEE!!

I don't like that movie but let's be honest, it only started with coffee. Then it went to everything else. Essentially without actually saying it the villain wants to control the world's economy. That ain't small potatoes.

So basically, Superman 3 got the corporate Luthor we should have gotten? ;)

Superman Returns, Spider-Man, The Ghost Rider films, the Fantastic Four films, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, the Batman and Robin film based on the West TV show, Catwoman, Transformers 1 and 2, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3, Iron-Man 2, Superman 1-4, Batman 89.

edit: forgot 300. Bored me.

Last edited:
Superman Returns, Spider-Man, The Ghost Rider films, the Fantastic Four films, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, the Batman and Robin film based on the West TV show, Catwoman, Transformers 1 and 2, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3, Iron-Man 2, Superman 1-4, Batman 89.

SHHfuturamasmiles_zpsa2184e3f.gif

I haven't seen some of the films that are generally considered the worst, such as Catwoman and Ghost Rider, but of those that I've seen I'd have to say the following:

The Dark Knight Rises
Elektra
Daredevil
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Man of Steel
Priest
Batman Forever
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Blade: Trinity

I never realize just how many stinkers this genre has had until I make a list like this.
Oh yes thank god I'm not the only one who hates this crap, pretentious BS that was only even remotely praised was because of it's green/blue screen FX, if you take that away your left with a bunch of half naked dudes yelling and fighting.

Oh yes thank god I'm not the only one who hates this crap, pretentious BS that was only even remotely praised was because of it's green/blue screen FX, if you take that away your left with a bunch of half naked dudes yelling and fighting.

You say that like it's a bad thing. :o

1. Spawn
2. Batman and Robin
3. Green Lantern
4. Elektra
5. The Dark Knight Rises
6. Catwoman
7. The Spirit
8. Watchmen
9. Man Of Steel
10. Blade Trinity

I never saw Punisher War Zone so I can't comment on that but those movies up there are easily the worst ten CBM I ever saw

My list (right now):
10. Barb Wire
9. Fantastic Four (1994)
8. The Phantom
7. The Spirit
6. Spawn
5. Elektra
4. Judge Dredd
3. Steel
2. Howard the Duck
1. Catwoman

1. Spawn
2. Batman and Robin
3. Green Lantern
4. Elektra
5. The Dark Knight Rises
6. Catwoman
7. The Spirit
8. Watchmen
9. Man Of Steel
10. Blade Trinity

I never saw Punisher War Zone so I can't comment on that but those movies up there are easily the worst ten CBM I ever saw

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I'm curious and must ask a few questions. Why TDKR below Catwoman, The Spirit and Blade Trinity? Why is it worse? Why are Watchmen and MOS worse than Blade Trinity?

And Punisher Warzone...don't bother watching it. I mean, if you really want to torture yourself, watch these horrible ones, they blow some of your list out of the water in just how bad they are:
-TMNT 3
-The Phantom
-Captain America
-Barb Wire
-The Shadow
-Fantastic Four (1994)
-Fantastic Four
-Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
-X3
-X-Men Origins: Wolverine
-Ghost Rider
-Judge Dredd
-Jonah Hex
-Steel
-Howard the Duck
-Superman III
-Superman IV
-Tank Girl

I guess I'm very lenient with my picks, but there are a few CB movies that get a lot of crap that I enjoy:

Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Green Lantern
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Daredevil
Iron Man 2

I don't think any of them are classics by any means, but I think all 5 are ok time-wasters, entertaining enough films.

As far as awful CB films, I have to go with Superman 3. This is a film I just have a hard time getting through. The GREAT Richard Pryor is completely wasted, as is Chris Reeve and Robert Vaughn. The only redeeming feature is Pamela Stephenson. She was a hottie!:)

I didn't hate it but it is my least favorite out of the Avengers singles movies (so far).

For the most part I was just bored and the final act wasn't all that great.

I'm sorry but you folks are just too easily bored.

I can understand listing these:
Tank Girl, Steel, Howard the Duck, Elektra, the 90s low budget Cap and F4 films, DareDevil (theatrical version), Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, Barb Wire, The Spirit, and 300

Enough movies here vary from good - not really bad, and they're posted as the worst
Iron Man 2, The Dark Knight Rises, Watchmen, X-Men 3, The Phantom, The Shadow, Judge Dredd, Batman 89, Batman Forever, Spider-Man, Superman 1 & 2, Superman Returns......

I can understand listing these:
Tank Girl, Steel, Howard the Duck, Elektra, the 90s low budget Cap and F4 films, DareDevil (theatrical version), Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, Barb Wire, The Spirit, and 300

Enough movies here vary from good - not really bad, and they're posted as the worst
Iron Man 2, The Dark Knight Rises, Watchmen, X-Men 3, The Phantom, The Shadow, Judge Dredd, Batman 89, Batman Forever, Spider-Man, Superman 1 & 2, Superman Returns......

There's no excuse to have these in in a "worst thread". Ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"