What are your top three scenes/sequences from Man of Steel?

BH/HHH

You Are My World
Reaction score
Having seen the film like a 100 times I think I have a pretty good handle on my top three choices. Not doing them in order of how I like them but order they appear in the film.

First Flight

man-of-steel-movie-screencaps.com-6091.jpg

Of all the first flight scenes in Superman movies (and Supergirl) this one is the best. It's just superb, from the failed attempt (with Jor El's speech throughout) right to Superman booming across the ocean, through the dessert etc. But what sells it is Henry Cavill, the moments where he has a huge grin on his face are great, he really sells the fun that he is having experiencing flight. It's played very much like learning to ride a bike, once you get going you can do it.

Escape From Black Zero

man-of-steel-movie-screencaps.com-10076.jpg

Right from the moment Lois and Superman enter the ship that takes them to the Black Zero, to the 'mind/dream' scene with Zod to Jor El guiding Lois to her escape and finally to Superman speaking with Jor El about the codex and taking off to save Lois. The music in this scene is amazing aswell (why wasn't it on the soundtrack?). It really captured that Sci-Fi feel, reminded me of something you'd have gotten in the Terminator (1984) or the Thing (1982).

This sequence also includes my favourite 'Superman' moment in the whole film. The look he gives Jax Ur is awesome.

man-of-steel-movie-screencaps.com-10043.jpg

The Battle of Smallville

man-of-steel-movie-screencaps.com-11222.jpg

I would rate this sequence as the single greatest action sequence in a comic book movie ever (maybe even cinema for me). It's epic, exhilarating and it looks phenomenal. We have seen some brilliant superhero vs super villain battles on screen in the years since but none of them hold a candle to this one.

So those are my three, the whole Planet Krypton sequence at the start of the movie and Superman vs the World Engine are are also amazing sequences but they were just ousted by the three above.

What are your top three?

Last edited:
Superman vs the World Engine is #1 for me. First off great fight, great effects, great visuals and the score especially helps. I love how it builds up in analog to the scene with Perry & Jenny, the scene is synonymous with hope. And for a moment Cavill looks like Reeves. I actually get quite emotional during that scene and shed a tear or two.

Superman at the oil rig. Partly because of the music, but to have him just off in a hurry to save these people and no questions asked is very Superman. Seeing him on fire was great, but I liked most seeing a Superman struggle to hold up the rig. Was great to see our hero push through so much to save these people.

Smallville Battle, best action/fight scene in CBM for me, Avengers eat your heart out. And I LOVE Faora in this movie.

Escape From Black Zero

man-of-steel-movie-screencaps.com-10076.jpg

Right from the moment Lois and Superman enter the ship that takes them to the Black Zero, to the 'mind/dream' scene with Zod to Jor El guiding Lois to her escape and finally to Superman speaking with Jor El about the codex and taking off to save Lois. The music in this scene is amazing aswell (why wasn't it on the soundtrack?). It really captured that Sci-Fi feel, reminded me of something you'd have gotten on the Terminator (1984) or the Thing (1982).

This sequence also includes my favourite 'Superman' moment in the whole film. The look he gives Jax Ur is awesome.

I have that song if you want it.

Superman vs the World Engine is #1 for me. First off great fight, great effects, great visuals and the score especially helps. I love how it builds up in analog to the scene with Perry & Jenny, the scene is synonymous with hope. And for a moment Cavill looks like Reeves. I actually get quite emotional during that scene and shed a tear or two.

Superman at the oil rig. Partly because of the music, but to have him just off in a hurry to save these people and no questions asked is very Superman. Seeing him on fire was great, but I liked most seeing a Superman struggle to hold up the rig. Was great to see our hero push through so much to save these people.

Smallville Battle, best action/fight scene in CBM for me, Avengers eat your heart out. And I LOVE Faora in this movie.

That's a good list, Superman vs the World Engibe just missed out for me.

That oil rig scene is great aswell.

And totally were on the same page regarding the Battle of Smallville, it's flawless.

Also fond of the Zod fight, but when I think about it I think the Smallville battle is superior. And Zod vs. Jor-El. Damn it, I love Zod so much in this film but I'm sticking to my top 3.

Also fond of the Zod fight, but when I think about it I think the Smallville battle is superior. And Zod vs. Jor-El. Damn it, I love Zod so much in this film but I'm sticking to my top 3.

:up:

First Flight

man-of-steel-movie-screencaps.com-6091.jpg

The Battle of Smallville

man-of-steel-movie-screencaps.com-11222.jpg

We are in agreement with those two. Especially Jor-el's speech directly before the flight and "You think you can threaten my mother!"

The third one I'd choose is:

Death of Zod
I don't have to spoiler tag this do I?
man-of-steel-zod-death.jpg

man-of-steel-killing.jpg

Being that the entire final battle is enough to count as 3 scenes or more lol, I will just pin it down to this moment as the most emotionally impactful and edge of your seat.

Zod's death is very imporant and crucial. Here is a world where we kill the villain but not in a cavalier way like in the 80's or the Burton Batman films.

We are in agreement with those two. Especially Jor-el's speech directly before the flight and "You think you can threaten my mother!"

The third one I'd choose is:

Death of Zod
I don't have to spoiler tag this do I?
man-of-steel-zod-death.jpg

man-of-steel-killing.jpg

Being that the entire final battle is enough to count as 3 scenes or more lol, I will just pin it down to this moment as the most emotionally impactful and edge of your seat.

Nice :up:

Nah the films been out ages now think everyone should have either seen it or be aware of the death :oldrazz:

The Krypton scenes

Battle of Metropolis

Battle of Smallville

This is way too hard, but I'll try.

-The opening on Krypton (that counts as one scene...right?). Blew my mind, from the first sounds you hear, the opening logos, the score, the cinematography, the emotion, the incredible production design and art direction, the perfect cg, the editing, Jor El seeing his planet in chaos, that shot where Jor El snags the codex, Jor El suiting up, a weighty intense fight with Zod, Krypton's destruction, baby Clark in the pod crashing on Earth and the extremely effective jump cut to present day.

-First flight. Such a beautiful moment, not just because you feel that Clark has been waiting for this his whole life, but also because despite learning about what he can do, despite donning the suit, Clark still flies in unpopulated areas where no one can see him. He's still adhering to his dad's belief about the world not being ready. So it's a bittersweet moment.

-Smallville fight, starting from "Nnnnngahhh!!!! YOu think you can threaten my mother?!", the biggest "oh ****!" laugh out loud fist-pump Superman moment I can think of. Those punches were 33 years in the making, and it feels that way.

-The ending, starting from the final flashback and ending with that extremely satisfying giant smile on Clark's face as the score finally reaches the full-blown Superman theme.

Oh, three scenes? Whoops ;)

Last edited:
I'll let you off seen as though they're all gold :cwink:

You're spot on about those punches been 33 years in the making.

I'll have to get back to you. I honestly can't narrow it down to just 3 right now.

- First flight
- The Battle of Smallville
And this scene:

man-of-steel-henry-cavill-diane-lane-slice.jpg

Honorable mention:
- Final DP scene.

Going to have to think and assemble, but I know one of them will be one of the last scenes in the film, where we see Clark in his back garden with the red cape as a child, with Jonathan & Martha watching him play, this, purely from a personal perspective as it, it one shot, captures my childhood. The emotion of that scene is pure treasured bliss.

Last edited:
Going to have to think and assemble, but I know one of them will be one of the last scenes in the film, where we Clark in his back garden with the red cape as a child, with Jonathan & Martha watching him play, this, purely from a personal perspective as it, it one shot, captures my childhood. The emotion of that scene is pure treasured bliss.

:up:

Look forward to it mate

I said I'd come back and post, well here we go....

Clark in his back garden

1) As mentioned in the post above, purely for personal 'representative' reasons, this goes to the scene towards the end where we see Clark play with the family dog in the back garden with the cape around his neck. Captures the spirit of the character, it's idiolistic message upon a child's hope and for me, as I said, captures my childhood.

Superman / Lois cement their feelings

2) Very simple, sweet, quick exchange it maybe but for all those people who say there was no chemistry between Amy & Henry, it's hard to deny the look and feel of them as Henry as Superman thanks Lois for believing in him as they hold hands.

The neck snap

3) Not the actual 'snap', the coming together of Lois and Superman afterwards, I won't go into the dynamics of the neck snap, enough has been written since on that one, but for everyone that says Superman shows no remorse for his actions, you obviously were not watching Cavill's performance as I was. The pure capture of that scream in his guilt, his anger of having been placed in that situation, his regret his all in that scream, it's the fact it's his last resort, not a choice. Then it's followed by the grief in that hug from Lois, their love is all in that embrace and comforting.

Last edited:
Yes please or a link :hmr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S5W0ZGfYek

Going to have to think and assemble, but I know one of them will be one of the last scenes in the film, where we see Clark in his back garden with the red cape as a child, with Jonathan & Martha watching him play, this, purely from a personal perspective as it, it one shot, captures my childhood. The emotion of that scene is pure treasured bliss.

I wish I could find the entire Yahoo fan event with Kevin Smith, but only small bits. But I recall watching it originally and Snyder explained that scene, basically saying it was Johnathan Kent watching his son BECOME Superman there, before he ever did become Superman.

#1. The talk.

kevin_costner_man_of_steel_a_l.jpg

#2. Smallville Fight

man-of-steel-attack-on-smallville.jpg

#3. Superman finding his strength against the gravity ray

maxresdefault.jpg

Mandon, Unbreakable Lex, great choices :up:

-The Krypton opening, the intense and confident way the film starts is excellent..great synergy of all elements.

-Battle of Smallville, its great sci-fi and finally conveys "Superman" without feeling that the creators were in any way limited in what they could show.

-The World Engine Attack, it feels dangerous and threatening.... as much as the DC films get attacked for being bleak, I feel that the machines and their effect convey an excellent threat.. (at least moreso than the alien army coming out of a portal for play time)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"