BvS What Ben Affleck Needs to Deliver a Good/Great Performance for Batman

Clarkester

Civilian
Reaction score
We all can agree that Mr. Affleck has quite a huge mountain to climb. He stands in the shadow of an iconic character. How does he approach the role?

I think that it is definitely possible that he can deliver a good performance for Bruce/Batman. To do this, I think there are a few things he needs to consider.

DISAPPEAR

He can’t escape the fact that he is one of THE most (in) famous actors to take on this character. To make us believe we are not watching THE MOVIE STAR. He must immerse himself so much into the role that the energy of his performance counteracts our perceptions. The way Daniel Day Lewis approaches his work. This might be much easier for Batman but for Bruce Wayne, it will be a challenge.

The other option would be to use the baggage, that is our perception of THE MOVIE STAR, and inject that into the Bruce Wayne persona. I prefer the former.

FIND THE DARKNESS

There is a chance that this may be more in the writing. However, if this is a more experienced Batman, he would have seen a lot.

So will he be more unhinged? Will he be wearier? Darker? I suggest he dig deep, lose the mannerisms we associate with him and find his voice from the darkness within.

I wish i could be excited, but there is nothing Affleck can do. He is that wrong for Batman.

A good script tailored to his strengths. Id actually rather him be in that position then trying to write him in a Balesque or Keatonesque model.

I dont need or expect affleck to produce an oscar winning performance with this but am confident he will deliver something adequate. The performances he did for the town and argo should suffice for me. And to be honest, he does not really have a huge mountain to climb unlike the next actor who will play the joker.

Why has everybody been making so many new threads for this film today?

I'd love to see an intimidating batman after the parody performances bale pulled off in tdk and tdkr. I'm hoping for the best, but I just can't picture it from Affleck at this point.

Ben will own.

He's not the one to be worried about. That goes to Gadot and Eisenberg.

Voice, voice, voice. Snyder will give him PRESENCE due to Larry Fong's lighting ability and his shot selection. If Affleck is directed to move creepily, I think there'd be a haunted quality to it. We know that he'll be the best fighter Batman out there, and when he finally starts cutting, he'll probably be really ripped.

And he'll have a good costume. About 60 percent of his Batman is probably nailed-performance wise with factors outside his own acting, he just needs good writing and a good voice.

As far as Wayne. I think Affleck WON'T escape the "famous-man-playing-himself" stigma. I think he should EMBRACE it, giving a really aloof and offbeat public Wayne (RDJ-style). Make a version of Bruce that isn't transformative, but fun to watch [YT]cWfs2GQQuuc[/YT]

But in private, I think he should talk really slowly, and come across as kind of sad and resigned all the time. Like his Reeves performance ;)

I've watched a ton of BA interviews, and the guy ALWAYS comes across as a nervous and tense guy who's trying not to come across as nervous and tense.

So I think there should be an excitability to Wayne when trying to "cover" his Batman counterpart.

But I also think that when the dust settles, he should have a somber and confused quality as Wayne, but an assertive and sinister quality as Batman.

Public Bruce
tumblr_n0ytxmekRX1r480flo8_250.gif

Private Bruce
u_RFXSf.gif

Batman
batfleck_from_comics.jpg

Last edited:
Ben will own.

He's not the one to be worried about. That goes to Gadot and Eisenberg.

I think Gadot will do fine. Out of all three I'm probably the happiest about her casting because she's essentially an unknown to me. I'll find it really easy to accept her as the character.

Ben I'm not overly worried about. If he can deepen his voice a little I think he'll be fine. I'm not really happy about his age, but that's the director's choice and there's nothing that can be done about it.

With Eisenberg I'll have to judge the movie, but yeah I really wish they'd selected someone a bit more manly and mature. I've been watching House of Cards again and it always makes me depressed when I watch the incredible Corey Stoll as I think he would have made an incredible Luthor and not just because he's bald, but because he's a severely underrated actor.

Nice. He has the look.

The batsuit will be amazing, I'm sure. He's bound to have a great cave, selection of vehicles and fighting style.

The Fleck just has to be The Fleck. I'm really looking forward to it.

It's gon be his time!

Voice, voice, voice. Snyder will give him PRESENCE due to Larry Fong's lighting ability and his shot selection. If Affleck is directed to move creepily, I think there'd be a haunted quality to it. We know that he'll be the best fighter Batman out there, and when he finally starts cutting, he'll probably be really ripped.

And he'll have a good costume. About 60 percent of his Batman is probably nailed-performance wise with factors outside his own acting, he just needs good writing and a good voice.

As far as Wayne. I think Affleck WON'T escape the "famous-man-playing-himself" stigma. I think he should EMBRACE it, giving a really aloof and offbeat public Wayne (RDJ-style). Make a version of Bruce that isn't transformative, but fun to watch [YT]cWfs2GQQuuc[/YT]

But in private, I think he should talk really slowly, and come across as kind of sad and resigned all the time. Like his Reeves performance ;)

I've watched a ton of BA interviews, and the guy ALWAYS comes across as a nervous and tense guy who's trying not to come across as nervous and tense.

So I think there should be an excitability to Wayne when trying to "cover" his Batman counterpart.

But I also think that when the dust settles, he should have a somber and confused quality as Wayne, but an assertive and sinister quality as Batman.

Public Bruce
tumblr_n0ytxmekRX1r480flo8_250.gif

Private Bruce
u_RFXSf.gif

Batman
batfleck_from_comics.jpg

Snyder WILL make Ben look fantastic. That much is given. I pretty much agree with everything in this post. It's gon be his time!! :D:ybat::batman:

My dream thing would be an epically symbiotic relationship :D

Snyder helping Ben('s reception as an ACTOR by finally building a Batman in a Comic Book Multihero Universe), Ben helping Terrio, Terrio helping Goyer by keeping the BEST of his ideas/dialog and ditching the rest, Goyer helping..the next DC film greenlit with a first draft that will be revised by a better writer, and WB helping..by having minimal mandates and finding the right people for a JL film afterward! :word:

My dream thing would be an epically symbiotic relationship :D

Snyder helping Ben('s reception as an ACTOR by finally building a Batman in a Comic Book Multihero Universe), Ben helping Terrio, Terrio helping Goyer by keeping the BEST of his ideas/dialog and ditching the rest, Goyer helping..the next DC film greenlit with a first draft that will be revised by a better writer, and WB helping..by having minimal mandates and finding the right people for a JL film afterward! :word:

Seems pretty idealistic. :word:

More pizza is your answer.

But other than that, if he takes it seriously, he'll be fine. He'll give off a solid performance. And that's all that is needed. Frankly, we've been spoilt with Keaton and Bale and the kind of calibur actors they are. Affleck taking it seriously like he does when he acts in his own films, that's all he needs to do. This is not a character study really, it's a Zack Snyder spectacle. Team-up movies with multiple superheroes presented in 3D. So i dont believe Affleck will be written in a way where he needs to be super dark, intense, or borderline psychotic. Intelligent? Check. Serious? Check. Playful in public? Check. Looking cool in an already cool suit? Check. A little bit miserable even? I wouldn't doubt it. But i dont think he has what it takes to be super duper intense, but he wont have to try. I dont think anyhow. This is not an interpretation like Bale or Keaton.

I'd love to see an intimidating batman after the parody performances bale pulled off in tdk and tdkr. I'm hoping for the best, but I just can't picture it from Affleck at this point.
:whatever:

3 Things:

1. The Physique

2. The Gravitas

3. The Direction (in terms of performance, design, and production)

****sake
It seems like any time somebody criticizes the Nolan movies you're there to cry about it.:funny:
Not everybody likes them..get over it.

To be fair, he was responding to a post that called Bale's performance in TDK and TDKR a "parody." I don't mind that people don't like Bale's performance and I have my own criticisms, but it seems a bit much to call the performance a parody.

To be fair, he was responding to a post that called Bale's performance in TDK and TDKR a "parody." I don't mind that people don't like Bale's performance and I have my own criticisms, but it seems a bit much to call the performance a parody.

I guess I should have said parts of his performance, because I actually do like bale as batman and the trilogy, but I think there's a lot of room for improvement in that area. Batman interrogating people should be intimidating (batman begins), not laughable (tdk, tdkr). If people didn't see scenes like the "WHERE'S THA TRIGGGERRRR, WHERISISHT" one as a parody like performance, then I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

I guess I should have said parts of his performance, because I actually do like bale as batman and the trilogy, but I think there's a lot of room for improvement in that area. Batman interrogating people should be intimidating (batman begins), not laughable (tdk, tdkr). If people didn't see scenes like the "WHERE'S THA TRIGGGERRRR, WHERISISHT" one as a parody like performance, then I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

I do agree that the batman interrogation scenes in those movies weren't the best. But, I wouldn't call them "parody-like." I'd say they're over the top. Bale and the writers played up the rage aspect of Batman in those scenes, rather than his intelligence. I think a mixture of both would have been better.

Also, I think the batman/Joker interrogation was designed to show how the Joker was getting to batman. It was that whole "immovable object meets unstoppable force" concept in play.

Last edited:
I'll say it right here my favourite Batman films are the Two Burton adaptations. My personal favourite is Batman Returns and I think Michael Keaton was the better Batman but Bale was a better Bruce Wayne. Overall I'd just give it to Keaton.

****sake
It seems like any time somebody criticizes the Nolan movies you're there to cry about it.:funny:
Not everybody likes them..get over it.
I rolled my eyes. I dont remember my eyes tearing up. You called it a parody of Batman, i put up 1 emoticon. Get over it.

Thanks. I didnt go crazy, i rolled my eyes lol.

Fair enough. I dont see the trigger moment as a parody, so i guess you're right..we'll have to agree to disagree.

Keaton gave a VERY subtle interpretation of Batman-to be fair, he kind of had to (he didn't have much dialog to work with)

Keaton's Batman was like the bully who grew up and found another outlet for his frustrations. Unfortunately, it was on criminals

batmanreturns_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"