BvS What creative role (if any) will Affleck bring to the table?

Glassjaw

In training
Reaction score
So here's something everyone complaining about Affleck's casting has sort've skimmed over - how potentially different the creative team behind this film now is.

Remember how people's complaint with WB, when compared to Marvel, was that they had no master plan, no long term goal, no thread to link all their films together? That they really didn't seem to know what they were doing?
With this casting has WB just provided the answer to all of that? Have they just got their next Christopher Nolan, Joss Whedon and Robert Downey Jr rolled into one?

And more specifically to this particular film, how has the dynanimc changed on Synder and Goyer's new film? Man of Steel absolutely belonged to Synder and Goyer. Do you think Synder will have complete directorial control over Affleck as if he was any other actor, or do you think the Oscar winning writer and director will be really hands on in the writing and directing here? I mean, is it just me or how weird is it that the lastest Oscar winning director is now being directed under the guy who did Sucker Punch? That's a cheap shot at Synder, as MoS was infinitely better, but I use that to make a point. It's really weird, right?

Last edited:
I think it a given Affleck becomes a co-creator of Batman vs Superman.

He is WB's golden boy and deservedly so. His films have made WB money and he has won the highest award the industry offers.

Plus, don't forget this, he is a huge Batman fan and he's going to want to make sure batman is re-launched in the best way possible in the film.

There is a lot more going on than just the casting.

Affleck in the last 5 years learned how to be a storyteller. to tell a story where you dont spend 1 hour just showing scenes that have no meaning.maybe he will not rewritte or ghost direct. but Affleck's opinion in preproduction and on set can make a HUGE difference with Snyder who is used to adapt pages by pages.

i also think WB will try to get Affleck in the editing room. there you can save or destroy a movie.

Jennifer Garner will be Wonder Woman, Matt Damon will be Aquaman, and Jimmy Kimmel will be the Joker.

Besides being very talented behind the camera and loving the Batman character and wanting this re-launch to be better than Nolan's batman launch (which I am sure he does), another thing will be going on.

Batman vs Superman has to do huge numbers. Not beat Avengers2 ut probably do better than TDKR because of JL. To do that it needs to be a great film too - not another MOS.

Its not just that WB is making JL for 2017 - look at what is set for 2017 also - Avengers 3. That will be the ultimate movie showdown.

Snyder approached Affleck months ago, reports THR. Affleck would not take on this role unless he had some say in how this script turns out. He will have a strong hand at Warner Bros., which backed him on "The Town" and the Oscar-winning "Argo" and is invested in telling the town he's sticking around the studio. Affleck signed for multiple pictures. If this works out he'll have a major franchise to play with for years ahead. And a major studio where he can hang his hat, as his hero Clint Eastwood has done for decades.
http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompson...-is-the-new-batman-in-snyders-superman-batman

Even if Affleck hasn't discussed any sort of creative aspect with WB I think it would be foolish from Snyder/Goyer to not ask the guy whose last film that he wrote and directed won best picture for some input. It could be a very effective trio.

Affleck is known as a very collaborative and affable guy on set. I think he'll be involved, if he hasn't been already, with the script. He'll want to nail down at least the part/arc of Batman (and why not the whole thing) in the script, because it seems likely he will direct one of these movies in the future. I think Snyder will pick his brain during production and vice versa, because Affleck wants to learn more about big budget movie making. But it's still going to be Snyder's movie.

I think there will be a loose collaboration. He's not going to step behind the camera. Nor do I see him rewriting the entire script. He'll be onset collaborating.

Having Affleck help will boost the film's quality.

My only concern is Affleck is a huge batman fan and WF, besides a team-up film, is a re-launch of the Batman franchise. Since Affleck will be in charge of Batman I think the temptation will be to have Batman come out in the end as the more appealing character.

But Affleck is a professional and I hope he and Goyer and Snyder don't go down that route though I can see the pull in that direction.

Having Affleck help will boost the film's quality.

My only concern is Affleck is a huge batman fan and WF, besides a team-up film, is a re-launch of the Batman franchise. Since Affleck will be in charge of Batman I think the temptation will be to have Batman come out in the end as the more appealing character.

But Affleck is a professional and I hope he and Goyer and Snyder don't go down that route though I can see the pull in that direction.

As a Superman fan, I hope so too. As for Batman, I've been put off by the character and my liking for him has dropped in the past. Although the Arkham games are great and all, the Nolan films attracted an immature fanbase to the character and started likening Christian Bale's Batman into a Chuck Norris figure that could take out someone like Galactus/Hulk/Every superhuman/god with a flick of the fingers. I was definitely excited with the Affleck news as we are finally moving on from that Batman and that image into something hopefully better and if Affleck could deliver on that, then yay. Plus it's always fun to see the immature fanboys flip out, am I right?:woot:

I really REALLY hope he gets to dip a toe in the writing pool.

I can see Ben Affleck having collaboration on-set for both World's Finest and an upcoming Justice League film.

Not to mention he will work with Diane Lane again in the World's Finest film.

Any input from Ben Affleck is good input.

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/ben-affleck-could-play-batman-across-numerous-films

Heat Vision reports that Affleck has actually signed a contract to play Bruce Wayne across numerous films, with Man Of Steel 2 only the beginning.

The website's sources state that Affleck "has been signed for multiple movies" in the event that further sequels are greenlit. Those sources add that other movies could include another standalone Batman and an appearance in Justice League.

Talking of which, Heat Vision notes that Affleck's deal could see him finally accepting a directing gig on Justice League - a job he apparently turned down earlier this year.

You know how Marvel is praised for taking a risk with their multiple movies, and supposedly risky names to direct or whatever, and it turns out the risks pay off each time? I see this like that. People are too busy with their knee jerk reactions and petitions about Affleck's choice as Batman that they can't see the bigger picture. Multiple Oscar winning talent, who's made mistakes in the past and so knows how the heck to stay away from them, now potentially in control of the DCU. Pretty good move.

anchorman_cannonball.jpg

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/ben-affleck-could-play-batman-across-numerous-films

You know how Marvel is praised for taking a risk with their multiple movies, and supposedly risky names to direct or whatever, and it turns out the risks pay off each time? I see this like that. People are too busy with their knee jerk reactions and petitions about Affleck's choice as Batman that they can't see the bigger picture. Multiple Oscar winning talent, who's made mistakes in the past and so knows how the heck to stay away from them, now potentially in control of the DCU. Pretty good move.

anchorman_cannonball.jpg

Thank you. This x1000. So many people are being short sighted with this and not seeing the bigger picture. I think this is a brilliant move.

If we're really lucky he gets to direct it and Snyder announces he's leaving.

The One silver lining to Afflecks global flogging over taking the role, is that WB will now know that they can't coast and deliever a half a**ed product as far as the film goes. They've gotten people's attention beyond fanboys and the message is "don't blow it, because if you do, you're toast!" Maybe WB will, if they haven't before now, put real effort if crafting a good script now that their back is against the wall from the news media and social media.

anchorman_cannonball.jpg

I'm assuming that he's gonna write some of his role as the Batman character as well, which bodes well since Goyer might write him more of the same, and Snyder might write him as crazy Miller Batman. Affleck would probably write Batman to be more sypmathetic and emotionally balanced.

Come to think of it, I think that the script should be overhauled by Affleck, even if it's decent.

If Ben rewrote all the weak parts (and I expect there to be quite a few), we actually might have one of the BEST DC films ever.

The One silver lining to Afflecks global flogging over taking the role, is that WB will now know that they can't coast and deliever a half a**ed product as far as the film goes. They've gotten people's attention beyond fanboys and the message is "don't blow it, because if you do, you're toast!" Maybe WB will, if they haven't before now, put real effort if crafting a good script now that their back is against the wall from the news media and social media.

I think they did that... they busted their balls wooing Affleck to the film. I don't see Affleck doing a major overhaul on the script... he wanted to see a decent-to-good script before he signed on.

I can see Affleck doing a dialogue polish, but I can't see him doing a full-blown rewrite. Not while prepping for three different movies.

I think they did that... they busted their balls wooing Affleck to the film. I don't see Affleck doing a major overhaul on the script... he wanted to see a decent-to-good script before he signed on.

I can see Affleck doing a dialogue polish, but I can't see him doing a full-blown rewrite. Not while prepping for three different movies.

Anything to avoid getting lines like "Release the World Engine!" is good for me :oldrazz:

I agree with those hoping he eventually takes over for Snyder and gets someone to replace Goyer. This coming from a fan of the first one, but it needs help in both departments and if that means Affleck has to play Batman so be it.

Just listened to the Affleck section on Kevin Smith's podcast. By the sound of it Affleck is a HUGEEE Batman fan so hopefully Affleck will have the balls to say "this is wrong" if they make a misstep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"