The Winter Soldier What did you like about CA:TWS?

Rock Sexton

Superhero
Reaction score
I've been gloating about this movie quite a bit in the user review section .... but one thing I forgot to mention (which might seem obscure) was the mexican standoff in the launch room for Project Insight.

This movie has so many non-standard actions sequences aimed at bringing a little something extra to a CBM.

Its part of the general MCU theme: heroes are found everywhere.

Pretty much everything.

It's so well balanced. Great characters, even side ones like Rumlow are written well. Amazing action scenes, best martial arts in a cbm since the first Blade. An intelligent and well executed plot with layers.

It has the entertainment factor of a big budget blockbuster. But the intelligence with it's story and characters of a more intimate thriller.

Pretty much everything. Tightly scripted, well directed, great cast. It's the best Marvel movie.

Too much to list, but my favorites are:

Lemurian star opening
Both cap vs winter soldier fights
Caps speech +Mexican standoff
Falcon intro

My favorite thing by far is the sentimental value and emotional beats. I can't say that I've ever said that about a CBM before. Usually it's pretty surface (well outside of Loki's rage in "Thor" towards Odin) .... but it had depth in this film.

Pretty much everything. But I think what I love most, overall, is the emotional punch it packed.

Everything, honestly I love this movie so much that the negatives aren't even worth thinking about for me, kind of like when I first watched TDK and Avengers, over time I'm sure I'll nitpick stupid crap to death lol

EVERY DAMN THING ! Seriously I find no flaws with this film at all.

So much to like really. For a CBM, it ticked all the boxes. Action is a particular standout. Other CBMs have the one or two top-notch action sequences. How many does TWS have?

Just about everything, but a few that really stood out:

- Nick Fury finally feeling like a real character with an arc
- Sebastian Stan's performance
- RR as a villain
- Maria Hill (until the final act when she wasn't given enough to do)
- the actions scenes
- WS speaking in Russian and saying Who the bad place is Bucky
- actually everything Winter Soldier
- Agent 13

Sitwell being flung into oncoming traffic. :oldrazz:

Oh one more to mention: the dialogue. So natural, and the characters came across as real people, people you could hold a conversation with. The humour came out less one-linerish as a result.

While everything is a blanket statement, it's pretty much the best way to describe my answer.

The few flaws I found were more nitpicks of my personal tastes. (Black Widow's hair, a couple of too close shaky cam fight bits, no shirtless Steve Rogers, the movie ended, etc.)

But this honestly felt like a true sequel to Captain America and Avengers to me.

I'd say my fave things though:
- Cap's use of his shield
- Peggy Carter's entire scene. And her old age make up is some of the best I've ever seen.
- Maria Hill incognito
- Falcon's flying. Definitely top 3 of superhero film flying for me.
- Scarlett Johanssan owned B.W.
- Confirmation of Sharon!

I loved how the heroes actually got hurt. They weren't perfect. Cap got shot like 4 times! And BW and Fury got shot too. That was really neat, it made you feel like these characters were in real danger.

While everything is a blanket statement, it's pretty much the best way to describe my answer.

The few flaws I found were more nitpicks of my personal tastes. (Black Widow's hair, a couple of too close shaky cam fight bits, no shirtless Steve Rogers, the movie ended, etc.)

But this honestly felt like a true sequel to Captain America and Avengers to me.

I'd say my fave things though:
- Cap's use of his shield
- Peggy Carter's entire scene. And her old age make up is some of the best I've ever seen.
- Maria Hill incognito
- Falcon's flying. Definitely top 3 of superhero film flying for me.
- Scarlett Johanssan owned B.W.
- Confirmation of Sharon!

We were talking about this in the user review thread, but Peggy's old age look was CGI.

"Shall we play a game..."

The film is about change in warfare. The global age of technology and information makes the CIA and the KGB what they are and were. There is definitely a bit of Dr. Strangelove theme present in the form of the villain. The CIA and the KGB divided the brilliant German scientists among themselves after WWII, and those scientists did not suddenly become good. They were still obsessed with the "concept of the superman".

Sort of interesting though that Hitler's obsession with the occult and hatred for the jews, he would go after jewish artifacts.(ie ark of the covenant). Here Hydra, so obsessed with the ubersmench, finds itself in opposition to Captain America, the perfect man.

The reference to the 80's classic shows that even though evil forces still have the same goal, the warfare is changed. The "only way to win is to not play", as Captain finds out at the end of the film. So the reference is extremely pertinent.

Other than that loved the elevator fight and the Batroc fight.

Most of all I think Grillo's portrayal of crossbones is underrated, probably the best performance of the film, which had a stacked cast.

Loved the running through walls scene while chasing Winter soldier, because that is what I imagine myself doing while running fast.

overall the best marvel movie I've seen

We were talking about this in the user review thread, but Peggy's old age look was CGI.
Interesting; even so, some of the best use of CGI then.

I mean, I don't know how many movies have aged up actors using CGI, but I've seen it the other way around(youth effect) where it hasn't looked too good, like in X3 and Tron: Legacy(though it didn't bother me too much in this one). AHS: Coven did it great with Jessica Lange though; odd a tv show could do it well, but movies with better budgets fail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"