Iron Man 3 What DIDN'T you like about Iron Man 3? *SPOILER ALERT*

thought the film was ok. like a lot of people, thought 1 was the best of the trilogy. can anyone explain to me how the suit can go onto pepper and killian if the suit needs tony's injection? didn't tony inject him with something so the suit can gravitate towards him for it to be on? he didn't really master it yet, but he can command it to go onto something else? that really stood out to me.

since this is the "didn't" like thread. i also really didn't like the reactor being removed from tony. that was a "what the????" moment for me.

The injections were just electronic transplants to mentally link him with the M42. He could make the various pieces go or do what he wanted. It wasn't a serum or liquid. At least that's how I saw it.

The injections were just electronic transplants to mentally link him with the M42. He could make the various pieces go or do what he wanted. It wasn't a serum or liquid. At least that's how I saw it.

this sort of helps, but there were a lot of little pieces to the suit. does he just say all go to another person in his mind? i thought the suits were programmed to go only onto him? seemed like a suspension of belief type thing but for some reason it just doesn't make sense to me.

1-The Mandarin's twist is just the same twist used in "Batman Begins" with Ken Watanabe's Ra's Al Ghul, but trying to be funny and failing miserably.

Ben Kingsley's Mandarin was hyped as "the best cbm villain performance since Heath Ledger's Joker" by many fans that expected a memorable battle between Iron Man and his archinemesis. Most of pics, trailers and tv spots made fans dream about how badass Kingsley's Mandarin was going to be... X-D

I just loved these comments I read somewhere else:

I just came back from watching Iron Man 3.

You know....I just gotta say that I think Heath Ledger's Joker was one of the best comic book movie villains of all time. He was at the top of the hill and at one time, I thought no one could unseat him. Now. That being said....

Ben Kingsley's Mandarin now my favorite comic book movie villain of all time. I'm sorry, but he totally outdid Heath's Joker. Kingsley's Mandarin was the scariest character on film that I've seen in a long time. That scene where Tony Stark has him at gunpoint was absolutely frightening. I thought Ben Kingsley Mandarin was going to flip out and kill Tony Stark. Then when Tony AND Rhodey had him at gun point later on, I was all like "Oh. My. God. **** just got real." I'll even go so far as to say his Mandarin was the greatest movie villain of all time. Intruder was right. I don't see how Ben Kingsley DOESN'T win an Oscar for The Mandarin.

Ben Kingsley Mandarin > Heath Ledger Joker

Ben Kingsley Mandarin > Sir Anthony Hopkins Hannibal Lecter
@banesmash

You don't know what you're talking about banesmash. That scene where Ben Kingsley Mandarin casually offers Tony Stark a beer out of ***** fear was just absolutely nerve wracking to watch. I genuinely feared for Tony Stark's life. That scene was up there with Heath Ledger Joker putting a smile on Black Dynamite's face.
Am I *****ing around? NO I'M NOT *****ING AROUND!!!! AS OF 2013, BEN KINGSLEY MANDARIN IS THE SCARIEST CHARACTER ON FILM!!!

Michael Shannon's General Zod has his work cut out for him. I hope he tops Mandarin....but honestly, I don't see that happening.
I knew Ben Kingsley's Mandarin would be cold blooded and terrifying in Iron Man 3. But that scary? That evil? In a PG-13 movie?

I neverrrrrr saw that cominnnnnnnng.
I want to take this opportunity to personally apologize to Intruder. You were right. I was wrong. Ben Kingsley Mandarin was like nothing we ever saw on film before. He will win an Oscar for sure.
@toiletbowl

Everyone in the theater jumped out of their seats during that scene. I honestly thought Tony and Rhodey were dead at that point. "How do they get out of this?" I thought to myself. A few people screamed at the movie screen "GET OUT OF THERE!!! HE'S NOT SLEEPING!!! MANDARIN IS SUMMONING FIN FANG FOOM!!!"

2-Guy Pearce's character is just a copy/paste of Jim Carrey's Edward Nigma from "Batman Forever" (even the haircut is the same):

bat20.jpg

Just watch IM3 again and then watch "Batman Forever", then tell me it's not the same f**king character (without Carrey's funny faces and the drag queen looks).

Ugly nutty professor is ignored by billonaire, he is mad about it, he uses his inventions to become a playboy billonaire as well, then flirts with the protagonist's redhead girlfriend (Kidman, Paltrow), and ultimately goes insane until he is stopped by our hero. Same story arc, same character. I expected that he would scream at the end: "I'm The Riddler!!!" instead of "I'm The Mandarin!!!". XD

3-Maya Hansen is Sylar: "I'm good. Now I'm bad. Now I'm good again. Now I'm dead." Unnecessary and ridiculous character, and a real shame becaise Rebecca Hall deserved a much better role.

4-Disney's executives:

-"How can we make this movie more appealing for kids?"

-"Let's add an unnecesary little sidekick."

-"Yes, every kid in the world will dream about being Iron Man's pal, tons of toys and merchandising will be sold. Cheers."

Do you remember that Batman TAS's episode where Batman is knocked out and a kid finds him unconscious on his batmobile and takes him to his basement? I'm sure some of the writers of this movie has watched that episode and thought that it could be great to use a similar plotline for this film... But in that episode, it made sense because Batman was KO, however in IM3, Tony Stark chooses the help of a kid over calling SHIELD, Captain America, the FBI, the army or any of his thousands of employees...

He is going to face The Mandarin and all of his soldiers with a couple of plastic guns that he has made with the stuff that he has found in a supermarket... This guy is a former arms dealer, a billonaire, an avenger, SHIELD has been behind his ash for 3 consecutive films (but is nowhere to be found on this particular one), he has armors in the Stark Tower, and he has a secret protocol to remotely call dozens of armors from below his recently destroyed beach house (and he could have used said protocol to save his house, his girl and himself when they were attacked before, but he didn't, he rather risks Pepper's life and die under Mandarin's attack), but he goes to the place where The Mandarin is hidden with just a couple of lame tricks, all by himself... What a genius (as he called himself in The Avengers). XD

5-He finally remembers that he has a collection of armors waiting to be used at the end of the movie, which is the biggest toy commercial ever made. XD

6-Said armors seem to be useless against the extremis guys and is ultimately Pepper the one who has to kick the villain's ash to save Tony's, who then decides to destroy all the remaining armors even before he has checked out if Killian is finally dead and won't come back in a question of seconds like he has done just a moment before.

Also who cares how many billions all those armors have cost, he could have used them to save world (or his ash) in "The Avengers 2" or "Iron Man 4", but he will rather just waste many other billions building new armors when he could have used that same money to feed african kids instead.

7- I could go on forever, but my point is that the movie is just a huge disappointment and a failure of epic proportions. :csad:

Last edited:
I enjoyed the movie alot, and
even enjoyed
the comedic twist with the Mandarin. But I can see where others wouldn't. Kingsley was very funny and that sold the scene to me.

Reading through this thread, I also thought that
Guy Pearce's character reminded me of the Riddler from BATMAN FOREVER. I thought it right away, when he got on the elevator with Tony!

[blackout]
1. The Mandarin twist
2. Clean slate program
3. Extermis Pepper
4. Kevin Feige: "Tony's alone with no help he back in the cave up against the wall", I feel this was mis-leading as Tony had help from (Harley, Jarvis and Rhodey) throught the film
5. Tony's struggle post Avengers and resolution was too quick
6. Maya [/blackout]

Then we have [BLACKOUT]JARVIS malfunctioning in a way to take where he is suppose to end up.[/BLACKOUT] Also personally I feel that the [BLACKOUT]Iron Patriot shouldn't be so easily used by anyone else, there should be some security measures to keep anyone from just jumping into there. [/BLACKOUT]

These aren't really problems with the film, it just seems you missed parts explaining these things.
[BLACKOUT]Assuming you are talking about Tennessee, Tony asked JARVIS to plot a flight plan to Tennessee just before the Mansion was attacked, JARVIS then carried this out when he rescued Tony. Secondly the reason Savin was able to get in the suit and wear it was because the Iron Patriot redesign was done by AIM giving them the access they needed before hand. [/BLACKOUT]

One thing that really disappointed me was...

We don't see much in the way of cool weaponry in the suits. I mean come on, this is Iron Man and Tony Stark we're talking about here. In the Avengers he was loaded. Lasers. Missiles. Miniature rockets. Now we just see him do little more than shooting off his repulsors. It's strange that Tony's action scenes when he is not wearing the full suit are better than the ones where he is.

Wasn't enough Savin and Taggert deserved a bigger role than his small part at the beginning.

Last edited:
With the reactor being removed from him why does he even need to be Iron Man now? That's why I hate that part of the movie. You could just have Rhodey take his place in The Avengers.

Pepper's bit at the end was excessive and out of sync with the rest of the film (and the franchise to date).

But my biggest issue with the film were Tony's actions and dialogue with the boy Harley. Very mean, insensitive, and simply uncalled for. I have never seen an adult talk to a child in such a crude way in real life or on a screen.

And the other part that spins off of that is Harley looking for a father figure. Tony completely ignores this and makes fun of the boy even further.

Not that much dissapointed me really but:

Rhodey's role and lack of action scene's, especially in the suit, was very dissapointing.

The MAIN showdown between Iron Man and the villain was too short again, yes there was other stuff going on, but both had good reasons to kill each other yet the fight was very short and not satisfying, though the finale as a whole was very good, that little part wasnt.

Pepper being the one to finish off a certain character, as well as the lack of reaction from Tony when something really bad happened to her at the end.

- It bothered me that it was Potts that killed Killian instead of Stark. Stark is the main character. It should have been him.
- The lack of Rhodes bothered me. Rhodes was absent for half the film and wasn't in his Iron Patriot armor nearly enough.
- I do not like that Stark [blackout]had the arc reactor removed. NOT ONE BIT. It takes away Stark's uniqueness. It might as well be any dude in the armor in the next Avengers film.

It bothered me that the writer who penned this film actually got paid for such trash.

I also didnt like that Tony didnt get Extremis himself like he did in the comic, he tweaked it a bit in the comic so he could control electronic devices, thought that would have been a cool new power to give him.

With the reactor being removed from him why does he even need to be Iron Man now? That's why I hate that part of the movie. You could just have Rhodey take his place in The Avengers.

I know this is going to sound cliche, but we're supposed to understand that Iron Man is more than just a suit and a bunch of gadgets. The 3rd ends like the 1st does, "I am Iron Man".

I know this is going to sound cliche, but we're supposed to understand that Iron Man is more than just a suit and a bunch of gadgets. The 3rd ends like the 1st does, "I am Iron Man".

See, the thing about that is that we already know that Iron Man is more than just a suit. If anything, the ending of The Avengers already showcased that under the exterior, Tony Stark is true hero. I get what the people behind the film were trying to say, but damn. Stark without the arc reactor is like Captain America without his shield.

Seems like Tony has forgotten how to make cool suits of armor since his experience in New York. The Mark 42 was a POS throughout the whole movie.

Except Jarvis said it was a prototype.

See, the thing about that is that we already know that Iron Man is more than just a suit. If anything, the ending of The Avengers already showcased that under the exterior, Tony Stark is true hero. I get what the people behind the film were trying to say, but damn. Stark without the arc reactor is like Captain America without his shield.

Exactly, he has no reason to be Iron Man now without the reactor. I think that the reason for him needing the reactor was still valid too, I mean sure so many amazing things could happen in that universe but I think it's just like in the comics with Barbra Gordon or Proffesso X being stuck in wheel chairs sure this stuff could be fixed but it wasnt for DECADES.

Exactly, he has no reason to be Iron Man now without the reactor. I think that the reason for him needing the reactor was still valid too, I mean sure so many amazing things could happen in that universe but I think it's just like in the comics with Barbra Gordon or Proffesso X being stuck in wheel chairs sure this stuff could be fixed but it wasnt for DECADES.

Yep. Why tweak something so iconic to the character? It just seemed unnecessary. And this isn't like the deal with mechanical vs. organic web shooters, either. Honestly without the arc reactor, Stark isn't unique anymore. That was such a cool thing about him.

The lack of Hulkbuster and Iron Patriot in action was also really dissapointing, Rhodey could have at least had a fight with an extremis soldier before he got caught.

I agree with you 100%. The arc reactor in the chest is part of the Iron Man lore. Why did they have to go down this route?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"