Jessica Jones What didn't you like about Jessica Jones season one? (SPOILERS)

TheFantasticJoe

Civilian
Reaction score
I think for the most part, Jessica Jones had a very solid first season, but what were some nitpicks/complaints you had?

This is a spoiler zone, by the way.

Just talking generally for the moment as I watched so many episodes over the weekend it's hard to dissect, I think in general the show could've used more special effects. I know it's Jessica Jones and she doesn't necessarily use her powers much as a P.I. but I felt the show could've done this better. Some of the fight scenes she was in were kind of meh for me. I would've liked to see her jump more, which brings to mind why didn't she just jump over people more to avoid fighting them? [BLACKOUT]For example, that one point in the club she could've easily jumped over Cage rather than fighting him and not getting to Killgrave.[/BLACKOUT] I guess with a lot of shows out there now able to pull off great special effects, expectations on this were a bit higher for me than say if the show were to have come out 10 years ago. Although they did have to put the show together rather quickly so perhaps a bit more time on this would've helped.

There were a few other nitpicks such [BLACKOUT]as why Jessica ran after Killgrave when they initially meet after she follows a controlled Simpson back to the penthouse. Later episodes make apparent why Killgrave ran but Jessica couldn't have known at this early point though that she could be ok from running after him when he's aware she's present[/BLACKOUT].

Besides that, I was wondering why earplugs or headphones weren't used more often to protect against his influence. That and it would've been nicer to get more in depth info. on how he controls people (a viral telepathic link probably as a simple virus would be hard to transmit so quickly; a more in-depth scifi explanation would've worked).

That and the characters seemed to bumble about a bit too much mid-season but later episodes helped some of this tenuously hold together I still felt certain aspects could've been played out better. I would've liked to see the show keep with earlier episodes just various interactions about the community introducing various quirky characters here and there as opposed to subplots that don't make sense and characters that are seemingly treading water a bit at times.

minor nitpick, but except for the barfight in episode 2, the fight scenes wee underdeveloped and badly choreographed. there is room for improvement.
but fight scenes were not the point of the show, so it's a very minor nitpick.

Her abilities well I'll defined and inconsistent at times. We needed to see more of abilities and fight scenes.Other than some weak writing in some episodes, I enjoyed the show.

Why does she keep insisting she wants to go to a Supermax prison that night? it's idiotic that she would not know that it would take years to get into that prison.

One thing to note is Jessica Jones is not Black Widow or Captain America. She hasn't trained to fight. She's used to throwing her strength around and also using intimidation.

Notice her fight with Luke. She would have died if he hadn't wrestled out even a little bit of control. Someone like Black Widow(or Mockingbird) with no powers could have defeated him without even having to tear through a building. Actually Daredevil would have been primed for taking on Luke.

We are so used to seeing field agents trained to take on a room of armed me. Even Tony took up various forms of combat.

She's got a minimal sense of strategy as well. She made many stupid mistakes as a result of having no training once so ever. This is why Simpson was frustrated. He actually knew how to do all of this but Jessica kept getting in the way.

I guess my issue was really that amateurs were tackling this big issue when we are so used to the professionals.

Why does she keep insisting she wants to go to a Supermax prison that night? it's idiotic that she would not know that it would take years to get into that prison.

It was her only plan. Was worth a shot I guess.

What bugged me was the coincidental nature of Simpson and IGH. Jessica, Kilgrave and Cage where all tied together. But with Simpson, Kilgrave just happened to mind control the cop who was part of a super soldier programme, and that programme just happened to be connected to Jessica's powers. I understand to an extent that this is the MCU and there are a lot of these characters running around, but the double-whammy coincidence was a bit much.

I think for the most part, Jessica Jones had a very solid first season, but what were some nitpicks/complaints you had?

This is a spoiler zone, by the way.

My biggest problem was how many people Jessica got killed before she got off her behind and did what needed to be done.

Attempts to capture and imprison him were ridiculous, unless by an organization like SHIELD or the ATCU, who are specifically equipped to deal with people with powers. The regular criminal justice system is completely at the mercy of a person with this type of power, as the moment he gets to speak, it's all over.

The Punisher would have made Killgrave a human screen door in the first episode, Bullseye or Crossbones would just have made his head a canoe.

The action scenes left a lot to be desired especially after the awesomeness of Daredevil's. The writing was a bit sloppy at times.

My list of cons:
  • Could've used a bit more action scenes
  • Simpson as a secondary villain was unnecessary
  • Mid-season pacing slowed to a crawl (same with DD), particularly when Kilgrave and JJ were playing house
  • The neighbor twins, my goodness were they annoying
  • Walker's action scenes felt very forced; her fight scene after taking the red pill was comically bad
  • JJ's power levels weren't very consistent, namely when she got knocked out by the Kilgrave support group

The pacing of the show is bad, I think, and it relied too much on the cat and mouse trope. Got a bit tired of Jessica chasing Kilgrave, catching him, him escaping, and then the same all over again. So many opportunities that could have been explored.

I also wasn't a fan of the sudden change of tone. They dropped the PTSD elements and the noir feeling as soon as Kilgrave was on screen more. Changed from a psychological thriller noir to a sort of psychological crime drama.

Other than that, there isn't much. I didn't like the side plots, particularly what felt like a rather forced in Nuke plot, which just confuses anyone who doesn't know who he is. I still rank it higher than Daredevil because it has a more preferable tone and I love psychological thrillers over pretty much anything else, but I'd say that overall Daredevil had fewer flaws and is probably more watchable to the average person.

The twin girl might just be the worst character in the MCU. I'd rather watch a Darcy spinoff movie than see her return in Jessica Jones season 2.

I was thinking the same thing while watching the episode but was able to rationalize this one somewhat. How someone would go so off the rails and think that's the only way to win seems very absurd so much so I think it just doesn't work on any level of reasoning.

For this particular instance though, I think she had a mental breakdown. She's sort of a superpowered emotional basketcase (for example, she breaks down emotionally while throwing things upset when she encounters the couple trying to kill her in an earlier episode she still cares to actually express herself then leaves without hurting the couple).

I think the incident she had with Cage prior especially after forming a connection with him (again she just couldn't help herself even when knowing this was definitely NOT a good idea due to the past incident with Reva). The fallout from this is what caused her to have a sort of emotional fit (not to mention the trauma of what happened with Hope in episode 1). This mental break is from these past traumas (not to mention isolation much of the time too) with the situation with Cage capping it off.

The thing I couldn't get though was how Trish and Simpson weren't screaming at her not to do it. I mean she essentially frames herself which is ludicrous.

my only and i mean ONLY complaint about this series was the scene where luke toss the bus driver through the window. i understand the guy got off on some technicality but that seem waayyyyy out of character of the Luke i have read over the years.slamming somebody who made a terrible mistake and was trying to turn his life around and probably killing him was something i thought wasnt very super heroic. i could see killing killgrave as that guy was beyond redemption but luke should be better than that even if he did blame him for his wife death. that was my only complaint to an otherwise sterling series!
i hope Luke in his own series really shines and become the great hero i would read about in the comics

i never thought that I'd end up saying this about a Comic Book TV Show when it came to my dislikes for it, but I wasn't a fan of all of the raunchy sex scenes/moments that they had throughout the series. I thought it really wasn't necessary at all.

And like someone else said, I felt like Jessica Jones's powers weren't consistently portrayed. For as strong as she's been said to be and portrayed at times, she shouldn't have had so much difficulty taking down the guys that she's encountered in fights in this season.

Also, the twin sister was freaking annoying and I couldn't find one thing redeeming about her.

Frankly, there weren't that many likable characters in this show when compared to the likes of Daredevil imho.

I didn't dislike Robyn as much as others but she and her brother were far too "close" for siblings :dry:

I didn't dislike Robyn as much as others but she and her brother were far too "close" for siblings :dry:

Yeah. Incestville...

Apart from that, the actress played it well. Plus has a Carol Kane aura in her huge eyes

Last edited:
Her strength inconsistancies.

She put in a lot of effort merely jumping off the train tracks or over those cops who were shooting at her in the final ep, yet a few eps back she jumped/flew away while carry a 180lb man on her shoulders, from outside her house.

It seems like the diffrent directors for each ep, have their own idea about her abilities. They all need to get on the same page.

She doesn't come across as someone who has super human strength. She comes across as more of a person who is just really strong via hard training (like Batman)- not including the jumping.

Yeah. Incestville...

Apart from that, the actress played it well. Plus has a Carol Kane aura in her huge eyes

And the creepiness with her and her brother was probably intentional as Jessica made a "I'm not going to ask" face when she learned they were brother and sister

Inconsistencies with her powers too. One episode she's stopping a car but three later knocked out by a plank.

Also the lack of references to Daredevil. Normally I wouldn't care but seeing as half the city was blown up and there were multiple shootouts during that show I found it very odd that it wasn't until the finale where we got anything. If the stuff that happened in Daredevil happened in my city it would be a pretty hot topic.

Other than that, there isn't much. I didn't like the side plots, particularly what felt like a rather forced in Nuke plot, which just confuses anyone who doesn't know who he is.

Was that who Simpson was? A character from the comics?

My list of cons:
  • Mid-season pacing slowed to a crawl (same with DD), particularly when Kilgrave and JJ were playing house

I liked those eps a lot. Kilgrave had a good sense of humour. And it ends with a crude reminder that's he's really a badguy.

I didn't mind them, but they slowed down the main story's momentum in the last couple of episodes.
Like episodes 12 and 13? I don't remember the side character's roles in them but before that I just didn't like how robin wasn't getting any character development or how they handled Reuben. I liked Malcolm a lot but I think they had him do some stupid ish too.

Then we had hope die and it felt so pointless and inconsequential especially how she was the driving force for the majority of the season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"