What didn't you like about Jessica Jones season one? (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Jessica Jones' started by TheFantasticJoe, Nov 24, 2015.

1. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

Simpson having a connection to IGH was way too coincidental. Simpson's relationship with Trish didn't work at all either.

The twins subplot was bad.

I think in the last several episodes, the plot gets a little lost. I understand Jessica Jones is flawed and she makes mistakes, but the last few episodes played a lot like the first season of Powers near the end. "Well we can't do this because of such and such. Well, I guess we have to now." Not to mention the whole trail of collateral damage created by not doing it in the first place.

The whole Simpson thing, OK. So he was part of a spec ops military team. That team had him on experimental chemicals to give him combat enhancements in the field. The masterminds behind this are the same ones whose chemicals caused Jessica to get her powers.

Alright, it's not so bad for Jessica to meet such a person and have to confront them later in life. However, this character just happens to join the NYPD and randomly gets wrapped up in Kilgrave, and thrown back into Jessica Jones' life, and suddenly that's how IGH comes back into it.

It's not terrible or anything, but it's just one of those way too coincidental things.

In addition, Trish jumping into bed with the guy, sincere or compassionate or not in his apology...just doesn't work for me. Even taking Trish's past into account.

2. BarryAllen

BarryAllen ey b0ss

-Robyn was probably the worst character of the entire show and probably the worst of the entire MCU. Her voice was grating and I hated every time she came on screen. I really hope Luke Cage and Iron Fist don't give us anymore of these garbage side characters.

-Jeri Hogarth and her subplot. Her personality was the complete opposite of her comic counterpart, and her romance thing went absolutely nowhere.

-I didn't like how the use of Reva Connors and how Jessica was responsible for her death. I liked how she died in the comics, as a result of Luke and Willis Stryker's conflict.

-Pacing was bad at times.

This too.

3. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I found the early part of the season, particularly the first few episodes a little bit aimless at times and almost like a string of scenes, particularly the first episode. Also, I didn't like how it was punctuated with sex scenes, again in the early part of the season. I didn't find them necessary.

Also, Jessica's neighbour (the twin) was annoying.

I didn't think it was as good as DD. It got better towards the second 2 thirds of the season. However, the final episode was slightly anti climactic.

4. x-er

x-er Registered

I didn't like the fact that it ended.

5. BarryAllen

BarryAllen ey b0ss

One thing that didn't make sense to me was that if Luke Cage was trying to stay on the downlow and in hiding, why did he do interviews with the police and other such tings where his face would've been exposed on a public scale? If Marvel is keeping his origin accurate, wouldn't he still be on the run after breaking out from prison?

6. 4thWallBreaker

4thWallBreaker Registered

Yeah, the connection with IGH was too coincidental. It was already a super coincidence that her and Kilgrave and Luke, three gifted, met in NYC! Heh.

I had troubles being convinced of Jessica and Luke's relationship, as opposed to the comic's storytelling. Could be the actors. It could grow on me, though. We'll see. There's totally potential for dynamic, don't get me wrong. Just felt shoehorned.

I'm surprised feminist embraced this show with Jessica failing to save the used and abused girl, and her simply being used as fodder to push our main character along. Not women-in-refrigerators if it's a female lead. I guess. Depowering Hellcat aside, it bugged me. It's like they fumbled and were writing as they went along. /shrug

7. Warhorse

Warhorse Registered

I agree. It made the show kind of raunchy and nasty, and not quality at all. My mom and I usually love the comic book hero stuff because it was safe from a point that we both could enjoy it, but watching raunchy sex scenes with a parent isn't enjoyable at all. I had to turn off the show because it was getting embarrassing. And I also felt Marvel was trying too hard to appear edgy, but it just made it trashy.

8. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

As much as I enjoy Jessica Jones, there are those parts that sort of seem like missteps. That girl getting killed never sat right with me. It seemed like the whole point was that we shouldn't kill Kilgrave, despite everything he had done. But then at the end they basically decide, "Welp I guess we have to kill him now." Just ending him would've prevented a lot of other senseless deaths throughout the season including the young girl Jessica Jones was trying to save.

But yeah, that girl basically got "fridged" as they say.

9. Hello2016

Hello2016 Registered

I just felt they didn't have the budget Daredevil had. We should've seen Jessica leap high up atop buildings doing detective work like in the first few episodes but with a lot more visuals.

The fight scenes (bar one was ok but not great) looked very cheap especially that one with Luke Cage at the end (also why Jessica didn't just leap over him; we're not supposed to think that?)

Other than that, the characters just acted a bit too irrationally the 2nd half of the season I felt to deserve succeeding in any way. It's as if the writers were thinking they needed to fill a set number of episodes and just kept holding things off then were like ok now we're done then finally have killgrave get taken out.

Small minor quibbles include annoyingly substituting alcohol whenever someone's supposed to be smoking. If leave out smoking in an MA rated show ok but don't throw in a bottle of whiskey in place of a cigarette... (ok this is more a problem with Luke Cage than Jessica Jones but still makes me think about it bit more after watching Luke Cage)

As far as story went, I guess one thing I found kind of bothersome was that Trish got it on with that Simpson guy when he came to apologize to her. Bit too abrupt but whatever I suppose.

Overall, there was also a lot of filler that otherwise could've served story potential moreso. I know being on a streaming service provides a luxury to do this but I think in a way things became too lax in this regard when it should've played off as a way to indulge into added story potential. This is kind of a problem with Daredevil and Luke Cage as well from what I could tell.

10. Leo Zelinsky

Leo Zelinsky Mutie

I didn't like how whenever Jessica was "on the phone" it was still on the answer screen.

Nitpick

11. pixen

pixen Registered

I noticed that too. It bugged me a bit.

You realize that it costs a whole lot more to make her leap all the time. Especially when she, the character, hates jumping/falling with grace. As for the complexity of the fights, Jessica isn't a fighter. She isn't trained and doesn't really care. She just does whatever will get results. Look at the way she trashes that married couples plan in episode... 4?

12. Hello2016

Hello2016 Registered

I realize that. If it were the 90's I would've given it more of a pass. A lot of shows out there right now exhibiting pretty impressive effects per episode (say what you will about cw shows being corny but they certainly pull off some impressive action on low budget even if not a serious vibe). They could've done it. They just had to fill 13 episodes and were pressed on time quite a bit in terms of having to push it out. Netflix should've done some better quality control. I remember them not giving a definitive release date and trying to ensure a good outcome but seems things still got scrunched cause they had get this out schedule all the other shows (already lined up) after it.

The show also could've had more in the way of story (like the other shows too) as another one of the things found wrong but as we're talking budget I'll stick to that topic and just say definitely could've leaped more and the fight scenes definitely could've been better (not need be awesomely choreographed just some special effects). You didn't feel let down at all by this?

On a separate note as we're talking leaping, from a story standpoint this just didn't make sense at times. The show wanted pit her against Cage fine. Draw her into a confined space or something so audience not like gee she could've just leaped over him. He's not super fast... This didn't bother you?