What didn't you like about T:TDW?

Discussion in 'Thor: The Dark World' started by Rock Sexton, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Nathan

Nathan ...

Maybe it's over the top, but I feel the same. After watching Iron Man 3, and reading that Thor 2 is basically the same, my interest for the rest of the Phase 2 Movies is waning fast. No one is asking for a Nolan treatment, just that the Movies get the balance right, just like the Phase 1 Movies did. Or like all the other Movies made by FOX and Sony at the moment. Wolverine seems to be the only Movie that got the balance right this year. It was character focused, but not void of humor. And the humor never went so far, that the Movie lost any dramatic weight.

2. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

I don't like that I still have 5 days to go until I get to see it. :(

3. Oscorp

Oscorp Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say the jokes themselves are flat, they're actually funny. The problem for me is that there is so much of it that it overshadows pretty much everything else.

I completely agree with your post though, especially the bolded part. There is no sense of things being at stake even though the villain wants to basically turn the whole universe dark. It's a huge danger, yet you never really feel that danger because everything is so "Disney-fied".

Regarding your worry about the hero not being there enough, I'd definitely say Thor has good screen time, no problem there.

It's still an enjoyable movie though, but that's pretty much it. I'll buy it whenever it comes out on Blu-Ray, and hopefully my mind will change. This film had so much potential.

4. Oscorp

Oscorp Well-Known Member

Perfectly said!

Right now I'm extremely happy X-Men and Spider-Man aren't at Marvel Studios/Disney.

5. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Well-Known Member

We've been over this many times already on here. What you or I consider "balance" is extremely subjective.

Regardless Marvel's intentions CLEARLY are to have people walk in the theater, laugh and have some fun. That's their brand. It's obviously working. It just doesn't sit well with people who require more emotional weight to their films. That's a personal preference.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  6. Oscorp

Oscorp Well-Known Member

You mean subjective.

Yes, they've always had humour but the amount of it has increased since The Avengers and now seems to be the main focus. The only Phase I movie I see being similar in that regard is Iron Man 2, which is Marvel Studios' weakest film IMO. The other films had much more emotional weight to them than these Phase II films I think. So there's definitely been a noticeable change since The Avengers I'd say.

7. Rock Sexton

Whoops ya .... subjective. LOL

Whedon's formula clearly has had an effect, it's just not your cup of tea. That's ok, it's not for everyone. However the proof is in the Box Office. That's all Marvel cares about. If there was backlash and people stopped going, demanding something different they would change ......... but that's not the case. The ones who want that are in the clear minority.

8. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

When will people start grasping the fundamental concepts of subjectivity and objectivity?

Even looking at majorities most people have liked it this far. You can hear both fans here say that they felt the balance was right, as has some professional reviewers stated just that. And on the other hand, you still had some people complaining about all the movies in phase one that they were too humorous (well, not TIH).

But no, I guess the people making movies that don't cater to your personal taste just does things wrong.

9. Rock Sexton

It'll never happen.

10. DarthSkywalker

What is wrong about that post in that regard?

11. Oscorp

Oscorp Well-Known Member

Yeah, their films are definitely becoming more popular and I can see why, it's just like you said that it's really not the route I hoped they would take. I'd have preferred them to be more like the Phase I films, but bigger in scale. So it's not that I wanted something different than what they had before. But yeah, I know that I'm in the minority regarding that, so I guess I'll just drop my expectations for the MS films and look more forward to some X-Men and Spidey goodness. :)

12. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

It, and the post it praises, talks about doing something "right" as if it was an objective truth. What's right is by definition subjective unless you start a discussion with exact parameters.

If someone would counter with the same attitude they would say that they watched the film wrong.

13. Incredible Hans

Incredible Hans I'm always hungry!

For me, the balance of humour and seriousness in TDW was okay. Felt just right.

But nonetheless, I can understand what some of you mean. For example, Thor 1 was full of jokes, but there wasn't a single joke in Thor's final battle with Loki. It was meant to be dramatic and touching.

Yes, it would be nice to see such a thing again. But on the other hand, what they did in Avengers also works for me - big, spectacular final battle with a little bit of silliness.

14. DarthSkywalker

The post starts out talking about the poster's feelings. Is that not subjective?

15. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

He says that he's losing interest because Marvel doesn't balance things right.

I guess this comes from me being mildly irritated quite often by people trying to justify their opinions that way. That's not the thing that should be discussed in this thread though so I'll leave it at what I've said. It covers everything anyway.

16. DarthSkywalker

Which is Nathan's opinion on the subject imo.

17. Oscorp

Oscorp Well-Known Member

I always assume that people speak of their opinion only, except when people actually call their own opinion fact, for example "This film is for fact a very bad one", or when someone says "No you're wrong, it is bad/good".

The absence of an "IMO" doesn't really mean much.

18. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

I can't make that interpretation when I read the post he's referring to, but that's just how I see it.

I read the one again and I now feel that I was unfair to chose to quote Nathan as the example for what I wrote. The other post is much worse.

And now I went back on what I said I was going to do. Shame on me.

19. Oscorp

Oscorp Well-Known Member

That isn't objective!! :argh:

Just kidding with you! ;)

20. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

:woot:

21. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

Thing is, that "happy weed" has brought them success on a level other studios are just dreaming of at the moment. When you are getting their critic scores and box office what would be the point in completely changing their films with heavier dramatic tones? The goal is to have that audience, critic and box office success. They got all that. Stakes are still there but maybe just not to everyones liking. Theres still plenty to dig. I like that all these films feel different yet we can buy they all take place in th same universe. Thats a huge accomplishment that only MS has done. Cap and Guardians really look and feel so different from eachother. I still can't believe we are even getting a GOTG movie, none the less a big budget one that is taking a risk on embracing the weird. I don't want that flick feeling like X-Men or ASM. The overly serious moments in those films have had there misses as well.

I think its awesome that all these studio films are giving us something different. If they all felt the same in tone people would be complaining even more. We got the variety to choose on our own preference now. Can't beat that. Honestly I think we are getting spoiled haha.

22. Loki882

Loki882 Well-Known Member

You know, when people complained about the marketing for IM 3, I defended it. However, TDW has made me reconsider. Marvel, if you want to make you're movies highly comedic (whether the Phase Two films are TOO comedic is open for debate), fine. However, if you're going to do that, then stop advertising your films in trailers/interviews/etc as being more epic and serious, it's getting annoying. The uber-serious trailers are not at all what these movies turn out to be. They've done it for BOTH IM 3 and TDW. If it happens again with TWS, its REALLY going to get old.

23. Rock Sexton

Uber serious? What trailers and featurettes have you been watching for T:TDW?

- The "anyone else?" line he gives the stone guy from Saturn
    - Darcy's "Look at you, still all muscley and everything"
    - Jane slapping Loki for New York
    - Loki and Thor bickering while Thor flies one of the Dark Elves' ships

There has definitely been comedic splices. What's really naive is that you're expecting Marvel to deviate from their brand, no matter what the trailer's tone is.

24. Nathan

Nathan ...

I'm sure no one expected Marvel to deviate from their brand. After the Phase 1 Movies, everyone had a good idea what the tone of their Movies was like. But with Phase 2, they clearly shifted towards even more humor.

25. Loki882

Loki882 Well-Known Member

Lets see, the creepy narration from both Malekith and Odin, all the freaky imagery, the epic yet ominous music, etc. Yeah, this movie wasn't that. I have no problem with comedy, they struck a great balance in their Phase One movies. In Phase Two, they're starting to overuse the comedy and it's intruding on the narrative and killing tension in scenes that should be serious.