What didn't you like about T:TDW?

Discussion in 'Thor: The Dark World' started by Rock Sexton, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Well-Known Member

There was comedy in the commercials to let you know there was comedy in the movie. You also saw Avengers and IM3 ..... you knew there'd be comedy. Stop pretending for the sake of doing so.

Also find another brand of CBM to watch. This will save you from wasting minutes of your life whining about something you're not going to change.

2. Marvolo

Marvolo Well-Known Member

Delete

3. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

I wonder if Marvel Studios would do a Thor movie not featuring Earth, Jane Foster and her friends. And I find it hard to imagine that they would do a third movie without Jane Frost.

For me when it comes to these Thor movies, the other eight realms are the things that interest me the most and when I was watching Thor 2, my interested started to wind down when they showed scenes in Earth.

4. TTFN

TTFN Well-Known Member

What didn't I like? Hmmmm...

Honestly my biggest problem was editing. I felt the movie was disjointed and jarring. It could have done better with the pacing. I do think it could have been longer but even if that wasn't possible, edit it correctly ffs.

Loki being 1 dimensional. Yeah, I didn't wear my Loki colored glasses so I saw what I saw. He was a brat and I needed more depth.

That's pretty much it. I really did like more than I didn't.

5. Godzilla2000

Godzilla2000 Dollar Store Diva

I was thinking about this but is it accurate to say while the jokes might be funny they take you out of the mood of the movie? Is this what you're saying?

6. GriffinSTatum

GriffinSTatum Well-Known Member

My only real complaint is a bit too much Earth, I just don't think some of the scenes with Selvig/Darcy/Her interim was really necessary...

Also they probably should have kept in the Malekith/Bor flashback. At least I knew about his backstory ahead of time.

7. Smashlilman

Smashlilman Ouch!!!!

Why are you so hostile? Dude makes a minor critique and you attack him. He's just saying that Marvel oversold the drama in Films like IM3. It's kinda true.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  8. Rock Sexton

No, he's here to soap box about Marvel not making the kinds of movies he wants to see.

If you thought that was hostile, you have the thinnest skin in the world.

9. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

I honestly don't think it is constructive to tell others to go and watch other movies if they aren't happy. I have done it myself in the past, and I regret it. It is a non-starter imo, made more to dismiss another's point of view then anything else.

By the way, less then 5 days now. :)

10. Rock Sexton

Why? For the ones that routinely don't like the Marvel product, why do the insist on watching them? Is it so that they can come here and let everybody know every day for weeks on end after a new movie release?

11. Oscorp

Oscorp Well-Known Member

Exactly! Some comedy was obviously expected. But there HAS been a change in Phase II, there is a bigger amount of jokes and comic relief in them now. At the same time, the trailers were very obviously intended to market a movie that would be bigger and more intense with lots of drama. To just say "What the hell did you expect!?" is just dumb IMO.

Also, since there obviously has been a change in Phase II, we who liked the Phase I films have every right to criticise Marvel Studios for going this direction. I am a Marvel fan, that doesn't mean I have to love everything they do. That's also why I am so disappointed, I think Marvel films could have great emotional weight, drama etc. while having a good amount of comedy. Not just being dumbed down to "funny" films.

As you know, there are varied opinions about this, but for me it's a definite yes to this question.

12. spider-neil

spider-neil spins a web any size!

Imagine if for Thor 3 Thor goes to Hel (to fetch Odin for example). Baldur gets introduced, the Einherjer are introduced along with Hela. What possible reason would there be for Jane Foster and her Amazing Friends?

Gotta have a connection to Earth, Gotta have laughs. If I'm honest the things that made me laugh happened off Earth. Take off the training wheels (Earth) and let Thor fly.

13. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Is that what is really going on here though? I can see a little Fox and DC bias (Spidey fans drive each other nuts in their own forum most of the time :D), but I don't think there are many who outright dislike Marvel Studios. More discussing how they think it could be improved. I honestly don't think many actually spend money to go see a film in the theater just so they can complain.

Now I can understand if you think it is getting repetitive, though the best way to solve that imo is to ignore it. Less to talk about if there is no argument really. People are seeing TDW, many seem to like it, the critics like it so far, and the OS numbers look great and we will be seeing it in less then a week. No real problem imo.

14. Ultra Nolanite

Ultra Nolanite Well-Known Member

Thats actually a great point. I think the Amazing spiderman is a great showcase of humor balanced with gravitas. Some parts in that movie, the way Garfield plays Peter Parker, my eyes just tear up. But it's still proper funny.

Right now I believe the Spidey franchise is where it needs to be.

15. Oscorp

Oscorp Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree! I just hope they can keep the gravitas in TASM2, but from what I've seen and heard that definitely seems to be the case, and Marc Webb is great at that. They are stepping up the humour in that one, but Spider-Man has always been known for his wise-cracks, so as long as it doesn't take away from the overall drama of the film and have Gwen goofing around, it should be fine. And it definitely seems the film will have both humour and dark moments as well as heart and emotions. Electro looks like an awesome villain that you can truly feel for and fear at the same time. It remains to be seen though. I hope we get a trailer soon.

16. balanda

balanda Active Member

I loved this film and just posted in the positivity thread but here's what I didn't like so much:

• The film had less heart than the first Thor film, mostly because it didn't have time to linger, even on Frigga's death. Thor vs Loki was probably the most heart.
    • Malekith's story felt like it had been chopped - I think there was some wasted potential to focus on him in any nuanced way - instead he was just raah raah evil revenge evil revenge. That's not actually all that compelling - give us some more motive or moustache twirling! Not sure speaking in a Dark Elf tongue helped. Shame, as I love the actor, but it's not his fault.
    • Related to above, the movie rushed from one scene to the next, gotta admire its ambition, and it was cut for time very skilfully, but didn't feel as meaty.
    • Not much of a character arc for Thor, but that's kind of inevitable after the origin movie. Not sure the movie suffered all that much for it; it's a superhero movie, there's so much else going on.
    • I was pretty disappointed that Loki's betrayal was a fake-out.
    • I wasn't a huge fan of the guns vs swords awkward blending of technologies (seriously, why go for swords Asgard, even glowy ones, when guns are clearly superior), but it wasn't a big deal and I can handwave it as Rule Of Cool.
    • ...umm......

17. OriginalMiles

OriginalMiles Well-Known Member

I don't like how we were told Tyr was in this movie... I didn't see or hear him.

18. balanda

balanda Active Member

Hey yeah, forgot all about him! Damn! I'm guessing he wouldn't have been a son of Odin anyway, just a powerful warrior.

19. Bert

Bert Well-Known Member

I don't see the problem with making these movies funny. Especially when Comedy as a genre is in such a slump currently, I gotta laugh when I'm at the movies...

20. CyclopsWasRight

CyclopsWasRight Well, he was.

:up: i can remember a few scenes of good comedy and that was it, with Thor 2 i can recall a few scenes of good, a few scenes of manufactured and a few scenes of downright goofy.

:up: :up: :hrt:

Agreed, since Avengers the humour has been doubled.

21. GriffinSTatum

GriffinSTatum Well-Known Member

Um... I just watched the movie yesterday... Everyone is exaggerating on the humor. The humor, it was present, but it wasn't like there was a joke every 30 seconds. There were many serious moments, and I think that they balanced it quite well. Since this is the what didn't I like thread, I will say that the only time I felt that the humor was out of place was during the final battle, an example when
    Malekith and Thor coming back from a different realm(Forget which one) and they were just sliding against a building(I forget what it is called)
    , and after a certain characters death. Other than that the humor did not harm it at all IMO.

I don't know what the rest of you were expecting, but due to everyone's banter I was expecting the entire movie to have constant laughing moments when in reality I would say it took itself more seriously than it made jokes or funny moments.

22. T"Challa

T"Challa Well-Known Member

I love the humor. And i love how self aware the movies are.

And i will say this, if you want these Marvel movies to feel more like TDKR and Watchmen, you might wanna jump ship like right now. The next slate of movies are being directed by the Russo Brothers, James Gunn, Joss Whedon and Edgar Wright. They are going to be hilarious. So you either have to learn to kick back, relax and laugh a lot or you're better off saving your money.

23. Oscorp

Oscorp Well-Known Member

No one is asking for that god dammit! :doh:

24. CyclopsWasRight

CyclopsWasRight Well, he was.

I wouldn't bother. any critisism to the humour has people jumping to the opposite end of the scale and thinking we want a miserably dark movie

25. Nathan

Nathan ...

And no one wants that. Every time someone mentions they want less humor, and be like the Phase 1 Movies again, everyone assumes that means they want no humor at all. Even though it makes no bloody sense, since people specifically mention the Phase 1 Movies which did have humor.

It's like the Batsuit argument. People don't want the armor look, and everyone automatically assumes they want spandex and use cheap cosplay images to discredit their opinions.