The Wolverine What direction would you have liked the third act to go in?

speno94

Civilian
Reaction score
I know we have talked about the third act in length in the review threads (it takes place in a generic science lab, looks like it was directed by different person, bald viper, bone claws etc), but now the extended edition is out and there is not really a thread just about the direction you think the third act should have taken, i thought to start one up.

Me personally, I would of liked the third act to have taken place in some beautiful ancient zen garden or temple with Logan in a japanese robe holding a Katana fighting the Silver Samurai (IN COSTUME) with the moonlit background. Something like this:

wolverinexmenep17c.jpg

What do you think?

My only real issue with the 3rd act is the design choice for SS. It's very distracting and not in tone with the grounded nature of the rest of the movie. Making it smaller, more form-fitting would've done wonders. That, and NOT cutting the ninja fight would've made for a longer, more satisfying 3rd act.

I know we have talked about the third act in length in the review threads (it takes place in a generic science lab, looks like it was directed by different person, bald viper, bone claws etc), but now the extended edition is out and there is not really a thread just about the direction you think the third act should have taken, i thought to start one up.

Me personally, I would of liked the third act to have taken place in some beautiful ancient zen garden or temple with Logan in a japanese robe holding a Katana fighting the Silver Samurai (IN COSTUME) with the moonlit background. Something like this:

wolverinexmenep17c.jpg

What do you think?

I agree 100%

-Reveal Yashida's identity as the Silver Samurai earlier, right after Viper talked to Wolverine at the lab.
-Yashida asks for Wolverine's healing factor and as exchange, Mariko will be cured from the poison that Viper injected into Mariko's body
-Then when Silver Samurai is about to chop Wolverine's claws. Yukio shows up and deactivates the electricity.
-Longer fight scenes with Yukio/Viper.
-Mariko will not being throwing claws at Yashida (that came across not well in the official version)
-A final battle between Wolverine/Silver Samurai in a Zen garden (at the top of the temple) would be sweet! So Kill-bill!
-No random outfit change for Viper.

About Harada, let Wolverine beat him during the ninja fight sequence.

My only real issue with the 3rd act is the design choice for SS. It's very distracting and not in tone with the grounded nature of the rest of the movie. Making it smaller, more form-fitting would've done wonders. That, and NOT cutting the ninja fight would've made for a longer, more satisfying 3rd act.

After watching it again last night, I would go a long with this, a more "traditional" style SS suit, something akin to this, but more "Samurai" would have made things slightly better, but I have to say I dont hate what we have as much as some do:

713823-bigthumbnail.jpg

Less falling on platforms involved and more of a traditional Samurai showdown during the SS vs Logan fight. Guess we already had that earlier though.

Would have liked to see Vipers powers have a bit more meaning to the battle. Came off kind off random.

The real suit of Silver Samurai was at Yashida's funeral.
In the 3rd act there was armor like S.H.I.V.A. with blade like Muramasa blade. Don't know why some people call it Silver Samurai.

IMO this solution was ok, in comic S.H.I.V.A. was made to kill Logan, and Logan used Muramasa blade to destroy it.

In the 3rd act there was armor like S.H.I.V.A. with blade like Muramasa blade. Don't know why some people call it Silver Samurai.

Because whether you like it or not in this film it is called Silver Samurai!!

Dont know why anyone would call it something it isnt!:whatever:

Watched the movie twice, didn't hear it's Silver Samurai in 3rd act.
,,Silver Samurai" in this movie was used only by Yukio at funeral.

IMO this solution was ok, in comic S.H.I.V.A. was made to kill Logan, and Logan used Muramasa blade to destroy it.

Because like Blackfox said its supposed to be Silver Samurai. SHIVA was a full on robot last I checked. Not a man in a mech suit.

The SS design at the funeral was supposed to be connected to the final suit you see at the end. Movie Silver Samurai in The Wolverine is a kind of a combo of Kenuichio Harada and Shin Harada (who had a robot suit of armor).

Last edited:

Well because it is the Silver Samurai, even the people who worked in the film (like graphics/test shots) called it the Silver Samurai.

The one that we saw at Yashida's funeral is the original version. The one in the 3rd act, is the upgraded one which was inspired by the original version.

I would have loved it if the movie after Mariko and Logan stay at her Family house in Nagasaki,have Logan learning how to fight using a samurai sword. it could show him training with a neighbor of Mariko or something. the film would play out as it did with Mariko being kidnapped. And then at the climax instead of using his claws he fights Silver Samurai with a Yukio's sword. But I would have loved to have the grandfather become young and get out of the robot Silver Samurai and gear up in the traditional Samurai armor. And Logan's healing power still working heals him and then have Logan and SS duke it out.

I would have loved it if the movie after Mariko and Logan stay at her Family house in Nagasaki,have Logan learning how to fight using a samurai sword. it could show him training with a neighbor of Mariko or something. the film would play out as it did with Mariko being kidnapped. And then at the climax instead of using his claws he fights Silver Samurai with a Yukio's sword. But I would have loved to have the grandfather become young and get out of the robot Silver Samurai and gear up in the traditional Samurai armor. And Logan's healing power still working heals him and then have Logan and SS duke it out.

That's what I would of loved too! I think it was the perfect opportunity to do that when they where at the family house with Mariko organising something for Logan and he is hesitant at first as always, but Logan agrees because he knows this may help him with everything he has been through with Jean etc so he learns the ways of the Samurai, using a sword, maybe to be calm in some Last Samurai style montage and all this makes Mariko appreciate Logan more and develops their relationship more.

Maybe something like this for the training scene:

last_samurai.jpg

main_image-36428.jpg

Then when Mariko is kidnapped he almost forgets his training and goes berserk again for a while and looks for Noburo as played out and uses his claws for the Shingen fight and Ninja fight and then for the final battle Wolverine sees Mariko again and she says "remember the training" along those lines and he tries to stay calm again and remembers his training and fights the TRADITIONAL SS with Yashida's old sword from WW2 which brings it full circles. Logan fights with a little more strategy than Logan does when he usually fights and that helps him defeat SS.

wolverinexmenep17c.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, I think we were all hoping for something like that. Some meditation, some katana training in the sunset...sigh

Yep, I think we were all hoping for something like that. Some meditation, some katana training in the sunset...sigh

Yeah Logan not using a katana at all was my biggest dissapointment, I know he has the claws but just one part of a fight would have been awesome.

Remove the archer guy from the movie altogether lol

But srsly, he was just one more extra person to remember

Harada was a more interesting character than Viper, so I'd pick her if we're cutting someone. Also, Viper is essentially just a face behind the technology with no motivation, so you could cut her with no impact on the plot.

Having seen this a few times now, I'm happy enough with how things came together for the end, but the final fight is ridiculous. If they just cut the super-sized robot and put Yashida in a regular sized suit of armour. There could have been a far more restrained confrontation in keeping with the rest of the film, and we could have finally had Logan a proper sword fight there as well, instead of him waving that giant, flaming one about.

I would have made his fight with Shingen the final battle and revealed that he was the one behind the death of older Yashida. Make Viper and Harada working for him and have Harada be the Silver Samurai.

Keep the final battle more small and intimate in the Yashida home. Would have been how I would have ended it.

Remove the archer guy from the movie altogether lol

But srsly, he was just one more extra person to remember

Yeah and compare to Viper, he isn't really needed. At least with Viper, she filled the space for another mutant and she was the lead henchman of Yashida.

I would have made his fight with Shingen the final battle and revealed that he was the one behind the death of older Yashida. Make Viper and Harada working for him and have Harada be the Silver Samurai.

Keep the final battle more small and intimate in the Yashida home. Would have been how I would have ended it.

Yeah, I remember reading the Chris Claremont interview where he said that having both Shingen and Master Yashida as villains was a mistake and I agree. I would have preferred they made Harada a mutant as well as Shingen's illegitimate son like in the comics. Then when old man Yashida makes Mariko his heir, Harada agrees to help Shingen kill her in exchange for being legitimized and being named Shingen's new heir.

However, Shingen not wanting a mutant for an heir tries to betray Harada at the end. Then the final fight would be either against Shingen or the Silver Samurai, possibly both.

I would have also liked Viper out of the movie altogether.

Agreed. She didn't add much to the Movie, and her fight scene with Yukio was abysmal. Did she even have any personal motivation, other than money, and ensuring that the guy that pays her doesn't kick the bucket?

There was no motivation or character development or anything. She was bland and lifeless. At least Harada had a back story, a job, a personal relationship to Mariko, and a character arc.

I would have liked Viper gone from the entire movie, replaced with more character scenes for everyone else. Last act, ninja fight in the snow leading up to Logan's capture. But the facility could be different. Logan could bring the samurai sword Yashida gave him and return it to him via stabbing. The whole scene should have been different. Like the OP said, a more ancient type building.

I would have liked Yukio to be towing the line of good and bad. Yukio should have had the Viper role. She also didnt need to be a mutant. Why do there have to be extra mutants running around??

Last edited:
Harada and Viper are largely on the same side, and he could have easily assumed her role in the story. He had all the motivations, she was just a supplier of technology.

Simply have him administer the poison and lead the project to save Yashida and Viper would completely disappear.

Well, Viper could have been essential to the plot if they had developed she and Harada's relationship more. In the comics they are lovers and Harada hires her to kill Mariko and by extension, Wolverine.

If they had just added that, her presence would have been fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"