The Dark Knight Rises What DO you like about The Dark Knight Rises?

TylerHaslett

Civilian
Reaction score
Plenty of threads, and plenty of posts nitpicking this movie to death, so what DO you like about Rises?

For me, i like the entire movie, just as i like the entire trilogy as a whole. Like some of the cast said, its one big movie. (also Billy in Scream said that, but in the movie, haha, "its all one big movie")

i really liked the emotion in this movie, the third chapter in the trilogy. GCPD Blake talking to Bruce, Alfred talking to Bruce, Selina talking about her life or lack therof, etc.

i like the score alot, the costume design alot. they dont come off as "costumes" they come off as real people, wearing real things.

Bane's mask i like quite a bit. At the back of his mask, behind his ears are "gas vents" similar to the gas caps on the tumbler. i like his back story, even what wasnt shown, and liked the fact that the only time he let forth full emotion (water works) was when he was without the substance that keeps his pain at bay.

i've seen the movie 4 times so far, once at midnight on the opening (the trilogy event) 2 more times at regular theaters, and the last time at IMAX nearly 2 hours away (no imax around these parts, just cattle and crops).

seeing it multiple times, it never got stale, it never got "old" and it never felt like nearly 3 hours, because of how well i enjoyed.

i'm glad that it never showed blood, or any "glorification" of violence in the way of deaths like most all other movies do. people are so used to that, that when its absent from a death scene they feel "cheated" without it. if someone is that hard up to see a death, i feel they should go rent that trashy movies known as faces of death, or any other "death showcase movie". a movie can be MORE powerful, without any of that imagery, because its taking a classier route rather than the random splashes of stage blood, etc.

i am curious, what did you like about it as well? if you didnt like the entire movie, but just certain parts, feel free to please share. there are plenty of other postings and threads to contribute "what you didnt like" so keep those comments separate please.

:brucebat::2face::hoboj:

:batty:

I enjoyed the first scene with Bruce and JGL - I thought JGL did a great job expressing his "story" about his own childhood and how he recognized Bruce was Batman, and the music (On Thin Ice) combined with Bruce listening/reflecting at the window made for what I thought was a powerful, emotional scene.

The Opening
The skyjacking
Bane's voice
Cat woman's costume
Bane's little vocal shudder after The Batman busts open his mask
The Bat!
SNOW!
The New York Times Building (The skyline shot immediately after the skyjacking, the building is the most prominent on the right side of the shot)
The Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge
That dude from Dexter
The little kid from the orphanage
"Shoot them, Shoot them all"
Finally seeing the bat-logo on fire (as in The Dark Knight's poster)
The digital addition of more bridges to New York City
Batman standing over the dude after punching his helmet
Bane punches Batman, he falls up the steps, then gets up, puts his arms up them blocks Bane's punches
Cat woman - "No one ever accused me of being dumb"
Bane - "Leave Us"
Bane - "Do You Feel In Charge?"
Fox- "Oh Dear"
The Batman - "So that's how that feels"
THE SCENE WHERE BATMAN AND CAT WOMAN ARE FLYING THROUGH GOTHAM AND THE STRINGS HIT, OH MY GOD!!
601 Lexington Ave (The building with the 45 degree angle roof, it has more screen time than Liam Neeson)
THE END SCENE WHEN BATMAN SMILES!!!!!!
Bane - "THIS BOMB IS MOBILE, AND THE IDENTITY OF THE TRIGGER MAN, IS A MYSTERY"
The Scarecrow Cameo
THE BAT-POD

Pretty much the entire movie.

I've seen it ten times, and It still feels like it's only 20 minutes long.

My entire body goes through waves of euphoria when Batman finally climbs out of the pit.

:up: i feel the same way. it was cool to see "the dude from dexter" as well, because i'm a big fan of that show, (havent seen this past season yet). "do not take another step or we will be forced to shoot you".

"you sons of *****es! you killed us all!"

also, its awesome you saw it ten times! i cant wait until it comes out on blu ray. i'm going to try to see it at least one more time while it is still in theaters around here

The Opening
The skyjacking
Bane's voice
Cat woman's costume
Bane's little vocal shudder after The Batman busts open his mask
The Bat!
SNOW!
The New York Times Building (The skyline shot immediately after the skyjacking, the building is the most prominent on the right side of the shot)
The Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge
That dude from Dexter
The little kid from the orphanage
"Shoot them, Shoot them all"
Finally seeing the bat-logo on fire (as in The Dark Knight's poster)
The digital addition of more bridges to New York City
Batman standing over the dude after punching his helmet
Bane punches Batman, he falls up the steps, then gets up, puts his arms up them blocks Bane's punches
Cat woman - "No one ever accused me of being dumb"
Bane - "Leave Us"
Bane - "Do You Feel In Charge?"
Fox- "Oh Dear"
The Batman - "So that's how that feels"
THE SCENE WHERE BATMAN AND CAT WOMAN ARE FLYING THROUGH GOTHAM AND THE STRINGS HIT, OH MY GOD!!
601 Lexington Ave (The building with the 45 degree angle roof, it has more screen time than Liam Neeson)
THE END SCENE WHEN BATMAN SMILES!!!!!!
Bane - "THIS BOMB IS MOBILE, AND THE IDENTITY OF THE TRIGGER MAN, IS A MYSTERY"
The Scarecrow Cameo
THE BAT-POD

Pretty much the entire movie.

I've seen it ten times, and It still feels like it's only 20 minutes long.

My entire body goes through waves of euphoria when Batman finally climbs out of the pit.

Everything with Selina Kyle/Catwoman
The Bat-Pod chase with the Cops
The pit scenes
The reveal of Rachel's letter to Bruce
All bad place breaking loose on Gotham when the explosions go off
Bane breaking Batman

I love "everything about the movie except Talia's death scene" moment.

I was not a fan of any real scenes except Bruce jumping out the prison. While unrealistic I thought it was very emotional and inspirational. The soundtrack was the best of the movie. Why do we fall?

I liked that the movie was able to capture the spirit of Batman, his willpower, his willingness to sacrifice everything for the people of Gotham that is - his skills and resources as Batman, his property and his life (I think that he was not 100 % sure whether he would be able to survive that nuke)

And I like the epic scale and cinematography and the musical score.

The movie surpassed my expectations in many ways, there are some minor complaints but I can ignore those.

Practically all of it but specific moments/things -
- Prologue
- Bane's voice
- The story
- Absolutely everything from the stock exchange all the way through to Bane's Blackgate speech
- Zimmer's score
- John Blake
- The entire final five minutes
- The beginning of the war
- Cinematography
- The ambition
- Scarecrow's cameo
- The Exile/Death concept
- Batman's return on the ice
- The Bat
- All the cast (Especially Hathaway, Hardy and Bale)
- The prison concept
- Alfred's scenes
- Selina's introduction "Oops"
- Selina's bar fight/Gordon in the lair
- Bane hanging people
- The badass look of Batman
- Bane's dialogue
- The ball dance is a wonderful scene

...yeah alot. Still shoulda been a two-parter IMO though :D

again, this thread is about what you do like, not what you dont like except, etc.

Bruce climbed the pit, he jumped to a ledge, not out of the pit itself.

:up:

I liked that the movie was able to capture the spirit of Batman, his willpower, his willingness to sacrifice everything for the people of Gotham that is - his skills and resources as Batman, his property and his life (I think that he was not 100 % sure whether he would be able to survive that nuke)

And I like the epic scale and cinematography and the musical score.

The movie surpassed my expectations in many ways, there are some minor complaints but I can ignore those.

Practically all of it but specific moments/things -
- Prologue
- Bane's voice
- The story
- Absolutely everything from the stock exchange all the way through to Bane's Blackgate speech
- Zimmer's score
- John Blake
- The entire final five minutes
- The beginning of the war
- Cinematography
- The ambition
- Scarecrow's cameo
- The Exile/Death concept
- Batman's return on the ice
- The Bat
- All the cast (Especially Hathaway, Hardy and Bale)
- The prison concept
- Alfred's scenes
- Selina's introduction "Oops"
- Selina's bar fight/Gordon in the lair
- Bane hanging people
- The badass look of Batman
- Bane's dialogue
- The ball dance is a wonderful scene

...yeah alot. Still shoulda been a two-parter IMO though :D

Bane's dialogue
The intricacy of the first act aka Bane + Catwoman working for Dagget.
The montage accompanying the explosions. Where we see people being dragged from their homes, houses ransacked etc. etc.
Bane exposing Dent as a charlatan
Bane vs Batman; both times
Batman defeating Bane while Catwoman kills him
Bruce's development; a return to the theme of Fear without it seeming like a total retread of Batman Begins.
Ra's Al Ghul's cameo. Good way of showing us how Bruce was feeling/thinking at that point in time.
The Batman statue
The ending

Casting of actors - Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle, Tom Hardy as Bane, Marion Collitard as Talia , Levitt as Blake and Modine as Foley by Nolan.

Last edited:
very good posts here, thank you all. i very much appreciate seeing all the good things, as opposed to a month long rampage of "nitpick this, nitpick that".

glad to see others enjoyed the entire movie, the last part of the trilogy, act three of the nearly 10 hour long movie.

- Bruce's entire time in prison
- Batman's return (both times)
- "Batman-y" moments (cowless at the cave, angry Bats, draped cape, Bat fire symbol, etc.)
- Bruce and Alfred moments particularly their confrontation (best acted scene in the movie IMO)
- All the Bruce/Batman and Selina/Catwoman scenes
- The Bat
- Batman/Bane fight
- Bruce being alive in the end
- The cafe scene
- Score
- Cinematography
- Cameos by Liam and Cillian
- Acting by the main cast especially Bale, Caine, and Hathaway

I'm sure there are more I'm just forgetting right now...

Last edited:
I liked a lot of things, only going to list the major ones..

1. The reveal of the Batcave
2. Alfred confronting Bruce
3. "So that's what it's like."
4. Bane beating down Batman...from the moment Batman meets Catwoman
5. Bruce rising out of the pit
6. The ending montage.

And I liked the connections to Supernatural, lol.

Saint Swithun's, the orphanage that Blake used to live was an actual bishop of Winchester.

Fredric Lehne, who played Azazel, was one of the security members at the stock exchange that spoke to Foley.

Robert Wisdom, who played Uriel, was the Army captain that spoke to Barsad on the bridge.

Too much to list, honestly.

Also, being able to use Bane's voice when I want to seem intimidating...or silly.

Yeah, see the reason there are more threads dedicated to what people didn't like is because for the most part, people really enjoyed the film and listing all the great things in the film is tiring and too much.

For what its worth, I loved the film, but here are a few things that jump out at me:

1. The Dark Knight Returns influences- I love the older Bruce coming out of a near-decade retirement and getting back into the game.

2. No Man's Land influences and Bane's Revolution- These two sort of go hand in hand and I absolutely loved it. One of my biggest complaints in the film is that there isn't enough of this stuff.

3. Knightfall influences and overall depiction of Bane- Hardy's performance as Bane is incredible and Nolan and Co. did a great job with the character.

4. The prison scenes- Really great stuff that gives you a strong look at Bruce's character.

5. Shut-in Howard Hughes Bruce- Simply awesome

6. Bale's performance as Batman- Bale's been overshadowed in this series a lot, but honestly, he's the best superhero on screen. I can't get enough of his Batman.

7. Back-breaking scene- I wasn't going to point out individual scenes because there are so many great ones, but this scene is so great I just have to mention it. Right there with the interrogation scene in TDK as the best scene in the trilogy.

8. John Blake- He was a well written and well acted character. Not a huge fan of his real name, but I liked the character much more than I thought I would.

9. The Action- The action scenes struggle at times in Begins and TDK, but they are quite amazing in TDKR

10. The ending- its the perfect ending for this trilogy and this interpretation of Batman.

great posts, folks, very great reads

another thing i liked about it, is that the picture of Rachel that Bruce has under the white sheet/tarp, is from a publicity still for the Dark Knight:

dark_knight_rachel_dawes1.jpg

tdkrRachelFrame1.jpg

and the frame is a silver "bamboo" frame, like at this link:

http://www.zgallerie.com/p-4172-silver-bamboo-frame.aspx

making it somewhat easy for someone to print the picture, put it in a frame like that, and have a cool prop replica from the movie

great posts, folks, very great reads

another thing i liked about it, is that the picture of Rachel that Bruce has under the white sheet/tarp, is from a publicity still for the Dark Knight:

dark_knight_rachel_dawes1.jpg

tdkrRachelFrame1.jpg

and the frame is a silver "bamboo" frame, like at this link:

http://www.zgallerie.com/p-4172-silver-bamboo-frame.aspx

making it somewhat easy for someone to print the picture, put it in a frame like that, and have a cool prop replica from the movie

The picture in the movie should have been of Katie Holmes

/team Katie

I liked pretty much everything, the story narrative flows just perfect with never a dull moment even during the scenes of Bruce and Alfred just the way they interact feels like the comics.

The music of course brought a sense of an epic scale seeing as this was the last one in Nolan's trilogy it deserved it even more.

I also liked how bits of downtown Los Angeles were used for the Bat-pod chase as I could recognize every street corner in the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"