What do you want from future Batman movies?

No, people love Batman's villains because they represent real aspects of the humanity and society (as Batman himself), the insanity and oddness are typical from comics, an exagerated way to explain this concepts to the kids/teenagers. And I adhere to the facts: The Dark Knight is the most succesful Batman film and ALL the characters are sane (inside the hyperbolic style of the movie), and I'm including the villains (Joker and Two Faces), which know in every moment what they are doing and why, and besides they explain it.

Yes, I'm sure people respond to the Joker and Two-Face because of how they "represent real aspects of the humanity and society", and not because they were vibrant psychopaths with memorable designs and characters.:o And who exactly do you think the target audience for this is, if not kids and teenagers (or at the very least, all ages)?

If there isn't some element of realism, then there's no tension. Why should I be worried about the hero here, or even care for him? My suggestions aren't so steeped in realism as the TDKT (which is my absolute favorite superhero trilogy). The trick is to set up rules that govern the world and stick to them throughout. Then you can present a series of films in whatever kind of setting you like.

And I'm totally for that. The only thing I was objecting to was Oswald's idea of making every Batman into a gangster or a terrorist. In my mind, most of Batman's villains are already pretty realistic (most of them are just psychotic criminals, with a couple mad scientists thrown in there), so I don't really see the point in "grounding" them like that. But other than that, I have no problem with giving it more genuine emotions and whatnot.

So? Commiting violent acts doesn't mean being insane, look at the police :woot:

That is incredibly unfunny if it was supposed to be a joke, and incredibly insulting if serious.

Yes, I'm sure people respond to the Joker and Two-Face because of how they "represent real aspects of the humanity and society", and not because they were vibrant psychopaths with memorable designs and characters. And who exactly do you think the target audience for this is, if not kids and teenagers (or at the very least, all ages)?

Yeah, and the memorable designs and characters are because of what they represent, which are disturbing ideas in a realistic and familiar context.

That is incredibly unfunny if it was supposed to be a joke, and incredibly insulting if serious.

Of course it's serious: what's the problem? It's just the one correct violence is executed by the State, and any other is automatically "insane"?

Last edited:
Why is that insulting? Maybe he's a cop. Well, sometimes the truth hurts.

What do I want? Gotham as a true dystopia. The entire world actually. And Bruce is holding onto morals of world, that hasn't existed in years.

Cocaine is legalized. Prisoners are treat like kings. Advocates for pedophilia being made legal are nearly at a success. Crime that is considered evil by todays standards, is completely fine by a majority of the world in later years.

Crazy as that sounds, imagine a world like that, with Batman in it. The way society is heading today, I wouldn't be surprised if things do get like that one day. Today we legalize marijuana, tomorrow it could be heroin.
Pedophiles for Government officials. Criminals getting a lap of luxury in their prison cells.

I know it'd be crazy to see a society like that for Batman to tackle, but it'd be an interesting thing to see. Sort of like a Batman Beyond style thing.

Yeah, and the memorable designs and characters are because of what they represent, which are disturbing ideas in a realistic and familiar context.

Of course it's serious: what's the problem? It's just the one correct violence is executed by the State, and any other is automatically "insane"?
Why is that insulting? Maybe he's a cop. Well, sometimes the truth hurts.

:whatever:*sigh*

I am, in fact, not a police officer. I don't see why I should have to be, in order to take offense at the comparison of people who risk their lives for my safety being compared to violent psychopaths who kill for pleasure.

Reality check: There are a lot of cops who abuse their power and commit unnecessary violent acts. It's fact. No need to get offended, especially if you're not a police officer yourself.

I like your idea Rodrigo. Id love to see this universe progress into something like that.

Thanks, Shauner :)

I often find that a disturbing thing to think of. Just imagine, everything you find wrong and immoral in the world - then watch it all become slowly accepting and legal in a few years. Your views and feelings remain, but the world is changing to it.

Imagine someone like Batman in a world like that? His voice of reason remaining, but being drowned out.

Crazy as that sounds, imagine a world like that, with Batman in it. The way society is heading today, I wouldn't be surprised if things do get like that one day. Today we legalize marijuana, tomorrow it could be heroin.

So? Things would get better, because violence generated by drug traffic would disappear. The only people who die (perhaps, because the heroin would probably get better if legal) would be the addicts, and they don't hurt anybody but themselves.

Imagine someone like Batman in a world like that? His voice of reason remaining, but being drowned out.

You serious? You can call Batman lots of things, but... voice of reason? :huh:

Last edited:
He isn't? :wow:

If the world was full of people addicted to cocaine and heroin and whatnot, wouldn't it be pretty terrible? I think society would be on the verge of self-destruction. Crime would be down, but accidents and deaths would be up :p

Okay, this thread just got really weird.

Dick Grayson, Barbara Gordon, Joker, Catwoman, Two Face, Riddler, Penguin, Mr. Freeze, Clayface, Scarecrow, Ra's Al Ghul, and Talia Al Ghul

The Nolan films are pretty much perfect, but they could've been a bit more outlandish visually... so this time i want more eyecandy.. a less realistic Gotham and a less realistic Batcave for starters would be nice.

And Arkham needs to be something straight out of a horror film. In fact, if the whole film went for a bit of a horror influence, that'd be nice.

I think all of Batman's villains could benefit from a horror touch

Dick Grayson, Barbara Gordon, Joker, Catwoman, Two Face, Riddler, Penguin, Mr. Freeze, Clayface, Scarecrow, Ra's Al Ghul, and Talia Al Ghul

The Nolan films are pretty much perfect, but they could've been a bit more outlandish visually... so this time i want more eyecandy.. a less realistic Gotham and a less realistic Batcave for starters would be nice.

And Arkham needs to be something straight out of a horror film. In fact, if the whole film went for a bit of a horror influence, that'd be nice.

I think all of Batman's villains could benefit from a horror touch

Very much agreed.:woot:

After seeing the new batsuit and getting a better visual idea of where Bruce is in his life, I'd like to see a spin-off into an Under the Red Hood inspired movie in the near future. The nice thing about the story is that it's personal enough to not need the Justice League involved, so it can happen in a shared universe without the "why doesn't he just call Superman" questions. It also fills us in with Batman's background up until this point, so it would add more depth while still progressing the universe.

I can only imagine how well the Red Hood would be received if the public knew a character like that was in Batman's world.

He isn't?

He's a traumatized billionaire who dresses like a bat to pursue and attack people he doesn't know, who hides himself in a cave where he has lots of vehicles he uses to... destroy the city while pursuing criminals? If that's sane, please God to come down and see.

If the world was full of people addicted to cocaine and heroin and whatnot, wouldn't it be pretty terrible? I think society would be on the verge of self-destruction. Crime would be down, but accidents and deaths would be up

Batman has a problem with crime (that's, people who hurts and kills other people), so he would be fine in a society with much less crimes (supposedly, cause he is crazy)... Anyway, it's very very naif thinking a world where drugs are legalized would be a hell in the verge of apocalipsis :whatever:

Honestly, if it were up to me, I would go darker and more violent than any of the other Batman movies. Not necessarily gory or graphic but the villains would kill more often (on-screen, not implied), be more violent/heartless and nobody would be off limits. Particularly the Joker. I want it to remain serious, grounded and mostly realistic, though I would possibly do some of the less realistic characters as well. I would also want to see more iconic type visuals, moonlit skies/skylines, ghetto/streets, dilapidated buildings and more visually stunning action scenes.

If I were to create my own Batman universe I would start with a Batman solo film, where he is pitted against someone other than The Joker, then do a Joker solo film. Then two following Batman's sequels, where the Joker is prominent in each one. I don't like the idea of killing the Joker off or sending him to Arkham, ending his storyline, all in one movie. I would like to see them build up the rivalry over the course of at least 2 movies, bringing the rivalry to boiling points and intense show downs.

The Joker solo movie would start with the Joker being a serial killer before he becomes the costumed Joker. I would start with him being without the makeup as a serial killer/mass murderer. A mixture between serial killer and terrorist, attacking pretty much anyone on a whim and it's fun to him, he enjoys it and makes fun of his victims and crimes, but in a serious tone, not the over the top silly way he is often portrayed. An origin movie that starts there, but still doesn't go into why or how he became a serial killer or give him a name, it just starts in an opening scene of him stalking a victim at night, entering their home and killing everyone inside. Then at some point he is arrested by Batman and/or Jim Gordon, and sent to Arkham. They classify him as a John Doe, because he has no fingerprints or records available to them but they sentence him anyway. While in Arkham he becomes obsessed with revenge on Batman/Gordon. At that point he comes up with idea to become the Joker which plays on his already murder-spree-for-fun personality to counter Batman's suit. Maybe he's in Arkham playing cards with other criminals and sees a Joker card and comes up with the idea to use that as his image to get revenge against Batman or maybe it's a nickname that other criminals give him in Arkham as he gets into fights/kills other prisoners while laughing insanely/poking fun at their deaths. Then he meets up with the crazy but naive Dr. Harley Quinn, who helps him escape Arkham. Once out of Arkham he starts to dress as the Joker and starts to commit murders/crimes to attract Batman's attention, they have a first show-down as Batman/Joker but the Joker escapes and that would lead up to Batman 2, where Joker is the main villain but starts recruiting other Batman rouges in plots against Batman.

In the 2nd Batman movie I would have the Joker team up with 1 or 2 other villains. Penguin would be one, having him be a crime boss that owns the Iceberg Lounge, a Godfather/Tony Soprano like character, that's nicknamed the Penguin based on his look, not some kind of deformity where he is part Penguin.

The 3rd Batman film I would do an Arkham Asylum like movie, where The Joker leads a band of Arkham criminals (the criminals from the previous movies and a couple others) in taking over the prison and Batman has to defeat them to gain back control. Or they come up with a plan to escape Arkham and takeover Gotham. There are hundreds of ways to band them together and make them pose threat to Gotham/Batman.

You could still have up to 6 different main Batman villains in this Batman Trilogy/Joker film, with complete backstories and story arches and then one final showdown with the villains banding together against Batman. At some point I would introduce Nightwing to help Batman, maybe others, because 5 or 6 villains (plus their henchmen) against Batman alone would be a bit much.

Obviously just a baseline of an idea but it's something I would love to see. I know alot of people would say that's over-saturating The Joker (plus I'm sure the final group of villains together would get the typical "too crowded" complaints) and think it would become redundant/boring but I don't care, I want to see these two characters (Batman/Joker) form a distinctive and definitive rivalry and I don't think it can be done in 1 or even 2 movies, at least not the way I would like to see it. They have a long and storied rivalry in the comics and I would like to see something like this to introduce that rivalry to the big screen. It wouldn't be kid friendly at all, which would probably diminish box office numbers but I'm not a kid anymore, this is the type of Batman films I'm interested in seeing.

Last edited:
Making the Joker into a straight up serial killer has and always will be a horrible uninspired idea.

Making the Joker into a straight up serial killer has and always will be a horrible uninspired idea.

To each their own. But he wouldn't just be a straight up serial killer, more of a mass murderer/terrorists in a sense. It would be more like killing on a whim because he's insane and enjoys causing chaos/killing. At the of the day, he's always been a serial killer in every adaptation more or less, just not in a formatted fashion, where he stalks his victim, kills them, leaves a calling card and that is his only motivation. Which it wouldn't be in my plan either, he wouldn't be restricted by serial killing tendencies, he would just be an insane murder that commits murder during his crimes, at random or in plots to destroy Batman/Gotham etc. etc. etc. There are many ways to make him a vicious murderer without making him strictly a serial killer, but serial killer/mass murderer are terms that describe what I was trying to say. I didn't mean he would be strictly a serial killer, though I do see how my post would cause that confusion given some of the things I said/terms I had to use to describe how I want his character done.

Last edited:
Excluding the Animated series and Silver Age characterization, the Joker has and will always be a serial killer. As for what I would like from the upcoming films, here is my revised list:

-Red Hood origin for Joker. I would prefer they model the Hood off the Zero Year characterization.
-Bat Cave with the trophies: if they cannot do the Penny from the Penny Plunderer or T-rex, at least have costumes and props from the villains, like Bruce had in Batman Beyond.
-Leslie Thompkins. She is one of the best characters in the franchise and has been ignored for far too long in the live action film medium. It's time to stop the marginalization of a wonderful character.
-A Secret Society. If one cannot do the Black Glove, use its copy, the Court of the Owls. It's time they shift the villain dynamic in the Batman films.
-Return of Gothic architecture.
-Batman analyzing a crime scene (a la Sherlock or Arkham Origins.)
-Arkham Asylum. As a measure of the series' narrative's progression, I'd like a shot or mention confirming the preceding film's villain going to Arkham.
-Stop killing off the villains. Disable them and have them shipped to Arkham/Blackgate.

Mr. Freeze, Man-Bat, Killer Croc, Clayface, Hugo Strange for more fantasy elements. The Court of Owls.Would love to see a new Riddler and Penguin!
The Bat Family Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl, etc.)
Harvey Bullock and Leslie Thompkins.
Gotham City like in Batman 89 Gothic. etc.

Harley Quinn! Still to this day I think TDK should had a mid credits scene with Joker in Arkham Asylum, and him telling Harley do you want to know how I got these scars? then fade to black screen!

A Batman Beyond movie would be interesting after they get done with Affleck and do another reboot.

Culzean Castle as Wayne Manor! Absolutely love that place.
10417650_667067366711044_1450794770348924985_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"