What genres and game types do you want/not want to see make a resurgence next gen?

Soapy

Avenger
Reaction score
This generation has seen fighting games and adventure games make a respectable comeback and it's been a veritable renaissance for side-scrollers. However, during this current generation we've also seen a dearth of stealth action games, 3D platformers, and horror games. We've witnessed the meteoric rise of the music genre, as well as its rapid decline.

What genres or other game types do you think should be more prominent in coming next generation? And which ones do you want to see put on the back burner?

Space fighter sims! Make it happen!

A resurgence would be rad but I don't think I'll need anything other than Star Citizen. :D

Anyhoo, mechs. I was in the beta for Hawken and it made me realize how much I miss mech games.

Would love to see more classic RPGs pop up beyond Project Eternity and Wasteland 2 but I doubt it'll happen.

I think it is happening! Between Star Citizen, Valve's thing, and possibly Destiny having space sim elements, it seems like they might be making a comeback in a big way.

Absolutely!

Based off how much fun X-Com was, I'd love to see more turn-based tactical games. I'd love to see some different settings, a special forces team fighting bad guys around the world would be great.

Iv been impressed with this gen. I can pretty much find a game for every mood I'm in. I would love to see Resident Evil return to form and I'd like to see publishers spend less on straight forward shooters like CoD and more on shooters the likes of a Deus Ex

I would like a return of the pure horror/survival genre of games.

you really don't see those today. even Resident Evil has sort of become more of an action/shooter type game.

I'd like to see Harmonix come back with a bigger, better Rock Band game that's more authentic (i.e., more real instruments) and with more of an RPG element to make it feel like, you know, a Rock Band struggling to break out and become hella famous.

I'd like to see more free-roam sandbox games, with co-op MP, instead of the currently over-used "short SP campaign + it's all about the MP" in most top sellers these days (in a declining industry, I'll add).

And I really, really want to see "zombie mode" in every freakin' game on the planet go away and never, ever come back.

I REALLY want to see wrestling games(non WWE)make a come back and also more Little Big Planet type of games.

I don't wish for any genre to fade away,I don't like certain types But they have it's fans and so wishing for it to go away cause I hate them makes it dumb&selfish.

I can't get enough of open world games so I definetely want more of that.

This isn't really a genre but I'm sick of 'realistic' games. I'm sick of games that give you cool powers like telekinesis and then punish you for using them! (Dishonored, I'm looking at you)

Guess what? If I want to play as a character who can't use telekinesis I'll just go and have a life!

I want side-scrollers fully revived. Like in the era of the SNES. Games like Donkey Kong, Mario, Sonic and so many others. Not only that, but beat 'em up side-scrollers too, like Maximum Carnage, TMNT Turtles in Time, Double Dragon and so many others.

I don't think I want the death of any genre.

Hmm...I want to see the superhero genre continue to evolve and grow. Whether it be licensed characters like the X-men or Batman or new IPs like Infamous.

I'd also like to see the western rpg market continue to expand and to see more developers taking a shot at the genre.

Less CoD-rip offs (and CoD games in general).

A return of cool RTS games (like Battle for Middle-Earth) that are not Warcraft or Starcraft.

More colorfull and charming games such as the classic Crash Bandicoot ones. I want ND to try to make another funny, classic game series like that. Every game these days that are not Nintendo ones are too grey and serious and based on shooting.

Less Gears of War rip-offs (at least bring something new to the table)

Overall a much better uniqueness because games these days only copy others without adding much new.

EDIT: Also, maybe a new 3D (like Tekken, that is) Fighting series would be cool. Something that's got some unique game play and feels fresh. I'd want something like that with Marvel/Spider-Man characters that's not a Capcom game. A Marvel/Spider-Man fighting game that's closer to Tekken than MvC but with loads of badass moves would be so awesome.

Last edited:
Hmm...I want to see the superhero genre continue to evolve and grow. Whether it be licensed characters like the X-men or Batman or new IPs like Infamous.

I agree with this!

I want more original franchises and less sequels to series that have more than enough entries. If we were to get more sequels, at least let them be for franchises that aren't overly sequelized (Another new Kid Icarus, for instance, would be fine since we've only ever gotten 3 KI games in the span of 25 years...a sequel to Sega's Billy Hatcher, since it never got a sequel...these would be fine examples of series TO sequelize. Yet another Call of Duty? Yet another Assassin's Creed? These are titles I can stand to see take a break.)

But again, just a focus on new series with new characters and new ideas. While Little BigPlanet is no longer new, it was when it 1st hit the scene with a new character, new setting, and new everything. It was refreshing. The upcoming Puppetter from Sony of Japan is another example of "new" I'd like to see more of.

No more dark-&-gritty, overly "extreme" dude-bro-gamer shooters, 1st & 3rd person. Its saddening and maddening to see people STILL losing their ji%^ over "just another Halo/another year's CoD". Knowing that the shooter-genre has taken over the video game market makes me not even want to play video games to be honest.

Yet another Call of Duty? Yet another Assassin's Creed? These are titles I can stand to see take a break.)

But again, just a focus on new series with new characters and new ideas. While Little BigPlanet is no longer new, it was when it 1st hit the scene with a new character, new setting, and new everything. It was refreshing. The upcoming Puppetter from Sony of Japan is another example of "new" I'd like to see more of.

No more dark-&-gritty, overly "extreme" dude-bro-gamer shooters, 1st & 3rd person. Its saddening and maddening to see people STILL losing their ji%^ over "just another Halo/another year's CoD". Knowing that the shooter-genre has taken over the video game market makes me not even want to play video games to be honest.

I agree with all this! Especially about the shooters. Some are truly great, such as Killzone 2, but those that are don't try to ape CoD.

I'm also sick of the Assassin's Creed hype. The multiplayer is fun but other than that, it's milked like crazy! They're not even THAT special IMO. At least not now anymore.

EDIT: The Pixar-looking Insomniac game looked extremely promising for being a shooter...until they made everything dark and "realistic" looking :/

Far, far, far less quick time events. I know that's not a certain genre or gametype but it's a major aspect of the gaming world at large and a lot of developers need to stop using it as a crutch to keep the player "involved".

Echoing what some other posters have said: No more CoD-style games.

Also, no more Dance Central games.

I want more strange, out-of-the-box thinking when it comes to game development.

Stuff like Oddworld, Seaman, Parappa the Rapper, Mosquito Man, Blinx the Time Sweeper, Bioshock, LittleBigPlanet, all had original ideas (Blinx wasn't executed very well, but it was a fresh idea)

More comedy in videogames. Everything's so dramatic and serious in gaming. I'd like a game that makes me laugh, like Conker's Bad Fur Day did.

I'd like more immersive games like Shenmue, that give you an absurd amount of things to do and really immerse you into the character's world. (Speaking of which, Shenmue 3!)

Also, I'd like more point-and-click style games like Myst and King's Quest.

Shenmue is the only quick time event heavy game I'd be ready to play in a heartbeat as that game pretty much started the darn thing or at least put it on the map.

I can accept QTE when it opens up for some really spectacle and cinematic scenes. I love them in the God of War games for example. But most times it's used as a cheap, lazy way of avoiding to come up with creative gameplay. ASM is a prime example of that IMO.

No game I've played does the QTE better than the Naruto Ninja Storm games.
It's only used in boss battles and it really makes you feel that what you do have an impact on what's happening, not to mention that the presentation is great, the sound it makes when you press correctly is just right and it keeps you on the edge. I never saw anyone complaining about QTE in this game. What I see is people asking for more battles like those.

Most games, though, don't make good use of that and it's rarely interesting.

I don't wish for any genre to fade away,I don't like certain types But they have it's fans and so wishing for it to go away cause I hate them makes it dumb&selfish.

I agree completely. I can never quite wrap my head around some people desire an entire genre gone. Or an optional feature. Hardwired stuff like Quick Time Events I can understand -I have no issue with them myself, but if you're not a fan and there's no other option but to use them, then that's a fair argument. Whole genres/series though? It's like the people who wish Justin Bieber or Twilight would disappear, why get rid of something that millions of people enjoy just because it's not your thing?

My apologies for the mini-rant :D

I don't want a genre to die completely. That would be selfish thinking indeed.

However, there are genres that I think take too much space and focus. Instead of another generic CoD shooter, that game developer could've done something more unique instead.

I don't play true RPG games because I just don't care the slightest about them and find them extremely annoying. So it doesn't bother me that they exist because I can just avoid playing them. However, it would certainly be a great thing for me if these RGP games could make some room for other genres that I enjoy more.

I would like a return of the pure horror/survival genre of games.

you really don't see those today. even Resident Evil has sort of become more of an action/shooter type game.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a meh game but it does have some great survival horror concepts.

Lone Survivor is a small game that's classic survival horror as well, you should look it up. :up:

A return of cool RTS games (like Battle for Middle-Earth) that are not Warcraft or Starcraft.

Yuuup, I'm really looking forward to Company of Heroes 2.

Far, far, far less quick time events. I know that's not a certain genre or gametype but it's a major aspect of the gaming world at large and a lot of developers need to stop using it as a crutch to keep the player "involved".

The only time I hate them is when the actions on screen are things that are entirely possible for the player to do.

I'd like to see a radical change to shooters next generation through digital means. So many shooters feel the pressure of having a long campaign and tacked-on multiplayer. What if we could relieve developers of those pressures by burning the rule book and letting them make games as long as they want with whatever features they want that are then priced appropriately on digital stores?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"