"What Goes Up..." (Hawkman)

Well he seemed to appreciate them in Superman/Batman. He wouldnt shut up about them. Although the role seemed kinda reversed in that episodes since Supes was the loner and Bats was a team player.
Well thats pretty much how Superman was always written until after WWII when the government got a hold of the comics and told them to lighten up. Before then Superman was written much like the Batman we see in the comics today.

This episode was pretty cool, Hawkman was awesome.

I like when Black Mask's #1 is afraid that their plan might not work, so then Black Mask shoots him with anti-gravity gun and the guy floats up to a window and then this dialogue occurs

Black Mask: Are you still afraid?

#1: No, of course not!

Black Mask: You should be. *presses button that opens window so #1 floats out*

Pwnage :woot:

I wonder if they decided to have Black Mask in this episode since the voice actor James Remar was the voice of Hawkman in JLU.

Argh! I missed the last 15 minutes of it. I'm going to have to download it soon.

I have it on DVR although I missed most of it. I'll probably watch it later on today.

well, I found the episode very enjoyable! I liked it very much. It's odd how the whole episode had a different feeling to itself. Anyway Hawkman was great! I even found that sometimes the story made sense. Shadow thief was good. Too. Overall, a good episode.
Nevertheless, I keep thinking robin is unnecessary in these team-episodes, the whole Hawkman lifting the batmobile was, IMO, enough, no need to make him lift the building !?!? or the train ?!? And the baseball with the helicopter wasn't necessary. Oh well ....

This episode was pretty cool, Hawkman was awesome.

I like when Black Mask's #1 is afraid that their plan might not work, so then Black Mask shoots him with anti-gravity gun and the guy floats up to a window and then this dialogue occurs

Black Mask: Are you still afraid?

#1: No, of course not!

Black Mask: You should be. *presses button that opens window so #1 floats out*

Pwnage :woot:

Black Mask is a heartless SOB. If he keeps killing off his Number One's, he's going to end up without any henchmen at all.

Maybe it's because my levels of enthusiasm for the show are started to wane once again, but I really liked this ep. I was especially pleased that there was no "I know it's you, Carter. It's me, Bruce" exchange in the Batcave (enough of that nonsense). The plot was a bit far fetched (not a bad thing in this medium), but still enjoyable. I hadn't seen the Nth Metal technology used that way before.

I don't really know why, but this episode seemed to present a greater sense of danger in terms of 'how will the heroes overcome?'. I'll be re-watching this on DVR a little later. What Goes Up is the type of product I was hoping to get continually coming off the highly entertaining Season 4.

And thank Zeus, they altered the look of the nose on Hawkman's mask. :up:

In some ways, Hawkman could be interesting. Like Batman, he seeks to uphold the rule of law, whether on Thanagar or Earth. Unlike most aliens, though, he doesn't have any true "super powers", if they go by the iconic version. The mace, the wings, the gravity-belt...all technology combined with skill. So, if played that way, Hawkman has much in common with Batman. Of course, played as many of the JL team-up's have been, Hawkman will be a winged hero with a mace who teams up with Batman for 22 minutes to fight people, no more, no less.

This was a fine episode, but the writers chose the latter from my statement. Hawkman was not much of an actual character, just another superhero that Batman teamed up with for an episode who got to meet Robin and visit the Batcave. At the very least they didn't exchange identities, but at this point it is hardly a JL secret. Black Mask hires Shadow-Thief to bust him out of prison and then to steal a metorite from Thanagar (Hawkman's home-world), that has traces of the Nth Metal anti-gravity element that Hawkman briefly says empowers him. Black Mask naturally wants to use it to steal Gotham's jewelry district, from the ground up.

Hawkman's design got a bit of a touch-up from his look in "THE JOINING PART II" and he looked great; far better than his JLU look and I could argue this was his best looking animated appearence, ever. He was voiced by the same actor who does Black Mask, and he wasn't terrible as Hawkman, nor too great. Frankly he sounded a little like a "stock gruff warrior". I liked how his mace was used but his ability to "lift" things got ridiculous, to the point of lifting that entire building. That's Superman's job.

Black Mask makes a much better reoccuring rogue than Joker and Shadow-Thief was fine enough, although I am getting a little tired of the obligatory way Batman has to defeat all new villains he seems to face. I mean I know it is his show, but it is getting a tad predictable. Cute highlights include Black Mask seemingly killing his old "Number One" and Hawkman being sent crashing down to the highway in a net and Batman not slowing his Batmobile down in the slightest to aid him. He was distinct warrior hero, though, and that is Hawkman in a nutshell.

Once again, Robin seemed more like a detail here and he really doesn't need to be in every episode. Barbara actually does show up at the end, but only for a moment. It was odd how Black Mask goes on about the security for the gem building when it seems to consist of two guards, no outside camera (his men were able to shoot objects into the sides without notice) and your generic vault. I didn't see the need to have to try such a dramatic hiest once Hawkman & Batman were occupied with the subway train; it seemed like overkill.

Still, it was an entertaining episode. Just not horribly complex or deep. Batman & Hawkman team up, fight Hawkman's baddie, the end. Hopefully the 2 part finale will be something epic. Hawkman does compare the Batcave to a station at Thanagar, but that is about it. Better than the GL episode, though. Probably the Flash one, too.

He was voiced by the same actor who does Black Mask, and he wasn't terrible as Hawkman, nor too great.

Actually, Hawkman was voiced by Robert Patrick (aka T-1000) in this ep. James Remar voiced Hawkman in JLU.

Holy crap, they actually killed someone. I mean, all we saw was the guy float out of a window but hey if the train was heading for "the moon" and Robin was about to fly up into the Ozone layer, it's a pretty safe bet that Black Mask didn't just kill henchman #1, he did it in one of the worst ways possible.

Yeah, that's an awful way to go. I dare say at 30,000 feet his heart froze and beat no more. :(
:lmao:

I thought it was an okay episode. But his mace didnt half seem to act like he was Captain America throwing his shield.
Didnt think Bats would have such a hard time with Shadowthief close up - sure he cant hit the guy easily, but equally his skiils should be so good that when Shadowthief solidifies to hit Batman he cant land a punch.

The only reason this episode worked was because hawk man and the shadow theif kinda took a back role to bats and the black mask.

black mask was awesome, the rest was meh...

I liked how his mace was used but his ability to "lift" things got ridiculous, to the point of lifting that entire building. That's Superman's job.

So? Are you able to think out of the box? If things are predictable you complain, if things are unexpected the same. :whatever:

Cute highlights include Black Mask seemingly killing his old "Number One" and Hawkman being sent crashing down to the highway in a net and Batman not slowing his Batmobile down in the slightest to aid him. He was distinct warrior hero, though, and that is Hawkman in a nutshell.

Agreed, but calling it "cute" seems bizarre. It seems you enjoy seeing killings and violence, "he killed him, cool".... :o

It was one of the best episodes in a mediocre season, lets hope the finale goes out with a bang.

So? Are you able to think out of the box? If things are predictable you complain, if things are unexpected the same. :whatever:

How was seeing Hawkman lift a building unexpected? I just thought it was overpowered.

Agreed, but calling it "cute" seems bizarre. It seems you enjoy seeing killings and violence, "he killed him, cool".... :o

It was one of the best episodes in a mediocre season, lets hope the finale goes out with a bang.

What can I say, if it brings a smirk to me, it is worth commenting on.

Yeah, this episode wasn't bad in comparison to the rest of the season. Hawkman looked great.

Hawkman didnt lift a building,it was already floating,he just pulled it into the water and it wasnt without strain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"