The Dark Knight Rises What happened to the prologue?

It didn't really bother me that much, but I laughed at the way he said "OF COURSE!" in the new version.

damnit i cant remember how he said "of course" in the new one

Banes voice was way better in the original prologue. I could not believe who or what I was hearing in the first 6 minutes. Guess Nolan decided to stick it to the Executives for that scene and make it excruciating to listen to.

The Bane voice must come back....

It must....

The way Bane's voice was dubbed over felt comically bad and inconsistent with the rest of the film in my screening IMHO. It completely ruined the first 10 minutes for me, am I the only one who felt this way? I try not to be too hyperbolic but I really was shocked beyond belief how goofy and insincere the new version felt and I'm wondering if other posters could shed some light on what happened here?

I expect not everyone will agree with me as is always the case and someone must have liked it for it to make final cut, but out of everything in the film this was the most jarring for my experience. Anyone else wanna chime in? Legitimate complaints about hearing Bane's voice or not, I'm kind of staggered how they responded with this...
youre not alone. i thought the same exact thing as soon as i heart bane's first line.

I preferred his pain comes later line to Dr. Pavel in the new version

Believe it or not, there was other ADR work done with Hardy in other sequences of the film. Why the prologue sounds goofier is beyond me.

Yeah his big speech on the steps was all ADR right? I enjoyed all of it though, just not in the prologue.

Only line they kept was "crashing this plane". But one thing ill say, is the end. "Fire rises" line and "calm down doctor", etc were clearer in the new one and i thought Hardy did a good job there. It's just his opening lines were so much more menacing before.

Yeah, I figured some of the other stuff was also ADR, but as Gill points out strangely I didn't have a problem with most of the delivery at those parts. It's just the beginning that's really weird for me.

One thing i will say about this ADR business, prologue included. It makes Banes voice quite unique and always changing. Like the Jokers voice would go in many different directions. In the first 5 minutes he now sounds like some confident roman emperor or something. Then the next time you see him, it's like darth vader.

The only time they didn't keep the deep darth vader approach was when he was in open areas for big speeches, with a lot of noise. So i get why nolan did that.

I wanted them to change a FEW lines from the prologue with ADR. Just not 99 percent of the damn thing. The lines i wanted them to keep or change with some ADR were...

- "Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man, before throwing him out of a plane" (would have kept this)

- "Doesnt matter who we are...what matters is our plan" (kept)

- "No one cared who i was until i put on the mask" (kept)

- "It would be extremely painful...for you" (kept)

- "Of course" (THIS i would have changed)

- "Doctor Pavel refused our offer in favor of yours. We had to find out what he told you about us" (THIS i would have dubbed as well, in the new one the last 2 words, ABOUT US, were left out. I remember this one had a lot of ppl scratching their heads back in December. A little more dialogue in a noisy area maybe)

- "Crashing this plane!" (only one that stayed in the final cut. I agree with their choice)

- "With no survivors!" (would have dubbed this. Just a different delivery lol)

- "No! They expect one of us in the wreckage brother! Hm.. The fire rises!" (would have dubbed this. It was clearer this time around and i didnt mind because Hardy put more emphasis with YES! THE FIRE RISES!)

- "Calm down Doctor...now is not the time for fear...that comes later" - (doesnt matter to me, this is the only one that comes to mind that they changed and it sounded fine to me. The previous fire rises line was a line that ppl didnt understand in the original either. So thats why i didnt mind the change. Because i saw it coming)

Last edited:
His voice sounded like Chris Walken. I can't take someone sounding like Chris Walken serious.

Really wish I could've heard the original prologue.

I was avoiding all spoilers and trailers before seeing the movie.

Really wish I could've heard the original prologue.

I was avoiding all spoilers and trailers before seeing the movie.
Basically Bane with the same inflexions/filter that's used after the plane sequence but with the original dialogue.

I honestly thought there were just going to go back to the original sound and just drown out the background sound (just a little bit) and then clear up the sound they had digitally. At least that's what was being reported. As soon as I heard that first line I knew that it wasn't the same sound. They hadn't "cleared" up sh**. They went back and dubbed someone's voice (I'm not even convinced it was Hardy's) with a different delivery. The new voice made him sound less menacing. The original one at least made him look badass.

I have watched the prologue 4 or 5 times since watching TDKR earlier this afternoon. His voice should not have been changed. At all.

I have watched the prologue 4 or 5 times since watching TDKR earlier this afternoon. His voice should not have been changed. At all.

If you had seen it in theaters in December then you would agree that it most definately SHOULD have been changed. Actually I should rephrase that. It SHOULD have been ALTERED. Cleared up. What they did was terrible. Why WB? Why Nolan? In Nolan we trusted dammit.

It seems as though it's unanimous that Bane's voice in the prologue, in the theatrical cut, was totally weird and atrocious...here's hoping the powers-that-be will listen to these complaints when it comes time for the DVD/Bluray. But I'm sure they probably will not.

The prologue is one big face palm. I'm upset that it was changed and changed to something worse. Comically atrocious? Yes! I'm wondering how Nolan could choose this version over the superior one. Was this a FU to the execs? I'm even more curious as to how the reaction was at the premier when he and the cast heard it, let alone the rest of the attendees. I myself was baffled at my viewing. It was a step down from the quality used to or was expecting rather from this camp. All I can think to myself was, who allowed this? Nolan, Jonah & Goyer felt that the change in audio and delivery was better that the original??

Either WB really flexed their muscle on this issue or Nolan is surrounded by yes men. Regardless, to start this movie off with, I already had a semi bitter sweet taste in my mouth. Here's to hoping the DVD/BD goes back and caters to the original directors vision.

Last edited:
Honestly, I was a bit disappointed when I first heard the redub, but seeing the movie again, I liked the dubbed voice too.

His voice became unbearable for me when Bane is reading Gordon's speech. I actually couldn't focus on what he was saying.

I honestly want to find a bootleg version or something so i can go back and forth between the two to compare. It actually didnt seem to bother anybody who was watching it the other night for the first time. They took it as it was, unlike us who...cant. Im trying my best to justify the new version

^If you want to find an original video of the prologue to compare it to, like I did, then...it's honestly way easier to find than I thought it'd be. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"