What if it flops?

Discussion in 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' started by Skrilla31, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Skrilla31

Skrilla31 Well-Known Member

Before you blow your lid calm down. I know this movie is gonna have a killer opening weekend. That's a given. I'm sure the trailers are gonna be amazing and I'm sure the anticipation is gonne be off the charts.

But let's say the movie doesn't go over well. Let's say it's deemed a critical failure. Not a mixed reaction, I'm talkin a legit NEGATIVE response. Critics slam the s*** out of it, fans walk away feeling bored and empty, the movie doesn't deliver on expectations, the movie feels sloppy... let's say the movie is just an absolute flop. What happens from there? What does WB/DC do? What's the gameplan?

edit: Do they just take a few years off and send a limo full of world class hookers to Christopher Nolan's and Christian Bale's doorstep all holding bags of money and an offer in writing that gives him part ownership in the studio?

2. TheFlamingCoco

TheFlamingCoco Well-Known Member

DC just does Batman. That's what happened after Superman IV, and when Batman fails (1998), they don't try. Does Catwoman count as "trying"?

3. combocaz

combocaz Well-Known Member

If it flops then no DC movies from WB for 10 years.

4. FlawlessVictory

FlawlessVictory Well-Known Member

Like TheFlamingCoco said, we will just get solo Batman movies.

5. ZIPBAGS

ZIPBAGS Well-Known Member

Warner goes out and gets all the creative guys behind the Marvel movies. ;)

6. Skrilla31

But don't you risk overexposing Batman too? If this movie is a flop, it hurts BOTH brands... not just Superman. I'm not sure if audiences would take to ANOTHER Batman movie so quick. ESPECIALLY if it's another NEW actor playing him. Eventually the audience OD's and doesn't want it anymore.

If this movie flops, you gotta think they wait awhile before they try and reel out another Batman movie. And you also gotta think they're gonna try and do whatever they can to get Nolan and Bale to return. Because if 10 years from now they released a fourth movie that might be the only thing that would bring the people back.

7. DorneyDave

DorneyDave Well-Known Member

The movie would have to be Batman&Robin quality to flop. Even then, it would probably still break even.

However if it would, we get a solo Batman movie with the new Batman and probably The Riddler played by an A-List actor....then if that flops...Warners gives up and we get no more DC movies.

Or they give Nolan and Bale each a billion dollars to do a follow up to Rises.

8. dark_b

dark_b Well-Known Member

''What if it flops?''

Then Zion will fall :woot:

9. GreenKToo

GreenKToo In the fire

I dont know if i would trust this in the hands of just snyder and goyer. I think goyer needs help writing, snyder will prolly be fine by himself but why chance it and lament it afterwards.

10. FlawlessVictory

I've heard arguments about people saying superhero fatigue will eventually set in. And that argument has been going on for the better part of a decade. How has that argument looked? If you make a good Batman movie, the people will show up. And Batman is the easiest hero to make a good movie of in the DC stable.

11. Skrilla31

Not superhero fatigue, Batman fatigue.

Let's say hypothetically...

2012 - highly successful, bordering on legendary series comes to an end.
    2015 - new Batman is cast in S v. B movie but it's a disaster all around.
    2020 - another new Batman is cast in the hopes of starting a new franchise.

I dunno man. I'm not sure how excited the public is to see that last movie..

12. FlawlessVictory

^I refer you to my last sentence. I believe the audience is still there for him even if WF flops. Throw in some villains we haven't seen before, or ones that can be done better (Schumacher movies) get A list talent, etc...

13. Deserana

Deserana 2005/2008/2012

If it flops... I can't even think of anything. It just won't happen.

14. ZIPBAGS

ZIPBAGS Well-Known Member

Then Malaka will say it was because they didn't cast Bomer. :)

15. SilentWarriorZ

SilentWarriorZ lemonidas

I am sure it wont Flop it could go Fair but no flop

16. LEVITIKUZ

LEVITIKUZ Well-Known Member

It won't flop. Visually the movie will look amazing. All of Snyders films are. It all depends on the script. I don't trust Goyer/Snyder.

I hope the rumors of an old Batman and inspiration from TDKReturns are false and it will be a young Batman and the story looks to Public Enemies/Worlds Finest.

We know Superman & Batman will go against Lex. That's it.

I don't trust Goyer but I don't see them ****ing this up. This film will likely have Superman as the main but be in a way a buddy copish film.

I do feel they need another writer with them. I would feel confident if they did.

17. king666

king666 Well-Known Member

If it flops, we won't get anything until 2020+

18. dnno1

dnno1 Well-Known Member

Here we go again. The likelihood of a Superman-Batman team-up film after both franchises have come of some pretty successful runs is pretty remote in my book. I don't even know why we are even talking about this. If it ever did happen (as if...), I would blame it on the fact that they didn't use Bale as Batman (assuming he will not be returning).

19. tomoe

tomoe Well-Known Member

It won't flop but it may perform the same way MOS does if it blows. Which I'm almost 100% sure it will. All I see is Goyer and Snyder ****ing this up.

20. LEVITIKUZ

Snyder can make a great movie, he just needs a great script. I don't trust Goyer. Just get a third writer.

21. Travesty

Travesty Well-Known Member

I feel like every thread in here is designed around the idea of "will WB bring back Bale and Nolan".

Some of you are worse than crack addicts.

22. tomoe

tomoe Well-Known Member

Snyder has not made a truly great movie yet, and I have no reason to believe that he ever will. I think he is almost as much to blame as Goyer for MOS's shortcomings. He wasn't able to make those 'emotional' moments resonate much in MOS. Even those actions scenes he is so famous for could have been much more exciting if it had been directed differently. And a great script will definitely not come from Goyer.

23. LEVITIKUZ

Idk. Watchmen begs to differ.

Also Goyer was the one who wrote the screenplay for Batman Begins alone without Nolan.

I think they should call up del Toro and ask him for his help.

24. dnno1

dnno1 Well-Known Member

It will do better than MoS just on the sensation alone. It's going to outperform "Avenger's: Age of Ultron" (I guarantee it). The biggest hurdles are to get the Batman fan on board and to figure out a marketing strategy that will be troll and critic proof (although just the mere name of Superman and Batman will more than likely solve that problem).

25. TheFlamingCoco

TheFlamingCoco Well-Known Member

I laughed WAAY more than I should have. :woot: