Justice League What if Justice League bombs?

If it bombs, DC movies are ****ed for the next 10 years. So hope it doesn't.

One reason I was a fan of the solo films first method is that you could basically assess how Justice League would do, and how you should calibrate the film to give the audience more of what they respond to, and less of what they don't.

A truly disastrous Justice League film could sink the entire ship. Even Batman might need 5 years to recover from it, the way he need time to recover from Batman & Robin.

Didn't Bale say he would not mind coming back as Batman without Nolan if the script is right though? I honestly think WB is going to throw the bank at him and he might take it. It's hard to turn down that much money. This movie will not bomb.

Didn't Bale say he would not mind coming back as Batman without Nolan if the script is right though? I honestly think WB is going to throw the bank at him and he might take it. It's hard to turn down that much money. This movie will not bomb.

The only way this movie bombs is if it's more the Green Lantern model than the Batman model. Green Lantern was in my opinion, WB's attempt to cash in on the Marvel Cinematic Universe style, and particularly Iron Man. They really tried to nail that Iron Man tone, and failed.

If Justice League is a true passion project for someone, the way all great superhero movies have been, it will succeed. If it's like Green Lantern, John Carter, and Battleship, no amount of A-list superhero presence will save it.

I'd take Bale as Batman in a heart beat, just as long as they don't tie the story in with the Nolan trilogy. There's just no room his narrative for his Bruce Wayne to be running around with other superheroes.

I don't think in no way they would tie it in to his story arc. Maybe a line or two but that's it and get to work. I think Bale would do this role again because WB is going to throw all the money towards him.

I don't see Bale returning back unless it is Nolan himself coming back with some stand alone solo Batman story (maybe after five-six years he will, who knows.)

This movie won't 'bomb' but at this point I am expecting it to disappoint.
You are introducing the new Batman, WW, Flash, Martian Manhunter, and potentially a brand new GL in one movie - that's 5 HUGE characters with wildly different backgrounds and personalities that the audience is going to have to ingest in one sitting, and then you have to introduce a bad guy and get to the main story.
Picture the Avengers doing that and tell me if you think it would have been anywhere near as successful as it was.

There's no way Bale will be in the Justice League movie. I think you guys are overestimating the money factor. First of all, WB won't be using a huge chunk of the budget for this movie just to get Bale to play Batman if they can just as well hire any other actor for much less $$. Yes, Bale might draw a few more people into theaters, but not significantly more. People will know that this isn't Nolan's Batman and that JL is going to be a completely different type of movie.

Secondly, even if WB did throw all the money in the world at him, for such an accomplished actor as Bale, money really isn't the most important thing in the world. He's got plenty of that already thanks to the Batman movies and he isn't really one to jump at every opportunity to be in a summer blockbuster. He was in Batman and T4, but apart from that, he's pretty much stayed away from huge summer movies.

There's no way Bale will be in the Justice League movie. I think you guys are overestimating the money factor. First of all, WB won't be using a huge chunk of the budget for this movie just to get Bale to play Batman if they can just as well hire any other actor for much less $$. Yes, Bale might draw a few more people into theaters, but not significantly more. People will know that this isn't Nolan's Batman and that JL is going to be a completely different type of movie.

Secondly, even if WB did throw all the money in the world at him, for such an accomplished actor as Bale, money really isn't the most important thing in the world. He's got plenty of that already thanks to the Batman movies and he isn't really one to jump at every opportunity to be in a summer blockbuster. He was in Batman and T4, but apart from that, he's pretty much stayed away from huge summer movies.

I think he'd do it. If the script excites him and the cast is strong. I don't see why not.

This movie won't 'bomb' but at this point I am expecting it to disappoint.
You are introducing the new Batman, WW, Flash, Martian Manhunter, and potentially a brand new GL in one movie - that's 5 HUGE characters with wildly different backgrounds and personalities that the audience is going to have to ingest in one sitting, and then you have to introduce a bad guy and get to the main story.
Picture the Avengers doing that and tell me if you think it would have been anywhere near as successful as it was.

People already know enough about the characters like Batman and Superman, no need to explain their back-story again.

Green Lantern is fairly well known what with his own failed movie, an animated TV series, two DTV animated movies and his appearances in JLU series (not to mention various games and comics.)

Wonder Woman and Flash have some recognition but they are not well known so that will be upto the JL movie to introduce them, and the villain.

for a five member JL team, it can be done.

Last edited:
I think he'd do it. If the script excites him and the cast is strong. I don't see why not.
It would have to be a VERY strong script to get him excited for JL. Bale has stated numerous times that he's never really been a comic book fan and that the reason he got interested in playing Batman was the fact that he is a very dark character who actually has no superpowers and that he's more relatable because of that. A more fantastical universe would certainly deter him. Besides, I believe Bale is extremely loyal to Nolan. He knows that Nolan wants his trilogy to stand on its own and have no connection to any other DC movies. And I'm sure so does Bale.

It would have to be a VERY strong script to get him excited for JL. Bale has stated numerous times that he's never really been a comic book fan and that the reason he got interested in playing Batman was the fact that he is a very dark character who actually has no superpowers and that he's more relatable because of that. A more fantastical universe would certainly deter him. Besides, I believe Bale is extremely loyal to Nolan. He knows that Nolan wants his trilogy to stand on its own and have no connection to any other DC movies. And I'm sure so does Bale.

I guess you're right. He doing a bunch of small films these days.. I can't justify why he would turn down a blockbuster but I guess his loyalty to Nolan trumps his loyalty to his own pockets.. If anything Bale's involvement keeps Nolans story relevant because when they reboot anyway especially due to his refusal it'll belittle the Nolan's trilogy as a whole going forward because it'll be rendered obsolete in respect to this new universe. But I guess thats the plan and Nolan himself doesn't care either way..

I guess you're right. He doing a bunch of small films these days.. I can't justify why he would turn down a blockbuster but I guess his loyalty to Nolan trumps his loyalty to his own pockets.. If anything Bale's involvement keeps Nolans story relevant because when they reboot anyway especially due to his refusal it'll belittle the Nolan's trilogy as a whole going forward because it'll be rendered obsolete in respect to this new universe. But I guess thats the plan and Nolan himself doesn't care either way..

I would love to see Bale in the JL movie, but not as Batman. If you set the movie about ten or fifteen years or so after the conclusion of TDKR, Bale as Wayne could make a fantastic "villain"' or at the very least the catalyst for the formation of the league. Say Wayne survived, rebuilt his fortune, and had employees Ivo and Morrow launch a series of robot based challenges to test the mettle of his spiritual successors. How exciting would it it be to have Nolan's Batman in the same cinematic universe as the JL, just quite a few years earlier?

There are a lot of variables and uncertainties to consider though. Man of Steel's success, people's reaction to a new Batman, how good the movie is in comparison to Avengers 2 which comes before it in the same year, the star power, how well cast the actors are, how well the characters play off each other. Avengers only had to worry about a couple of those.

Avengers 2 will only help the JL film, I guess. If it's a real hit, like the first one, it'll get people really hyped for superheroes, just like the first one did, and a second major superhero team-up film, just a few months later, will be just what the audience craves.
People often speak about similar films competing, but imo they just help each other. The Avengers, which I just randomly saw on kino since it had gotten a good reception, was the only reason I saw TASM on the big screen. It simply re-raised my interest for all superheroes not Batman.

I'm sorry but I can't imagine a movie with Batman who is more popular than all the avengers combined in his first appearance ever on-screen with SUperman bombing. Only way this movie bombs is if Batman is not bruce wayne.

Or not Christian Bale. I by no means think this film will bomb, but I think it could under-perform.

As long as it's Bruce Wayne and closer to Bale Batman than Clooney Batman this movie has zero ZERO percent of failing.

The writers and director for the Justice League have an enormous task ahead of them in forming relationships that, for the Avengers, were established in the preceding films and post credit scenes. I counted 21 previously established relationships between people and items of import in the film:

Tony Stark & Pepper Potts
Pepper Potts & Phil Coulson
Phil Coulson & Tony Stark
Tony Stark & Nick Fury
Bruce Banner & the Super Soldier serum
Tony Stark & Natasha Romanoff
Natasha Romanoff & Nick Fury
Tony Stark & Howard Stark
Nick Fury & Phil Coulson
Thor Odinson & Loki Odinson
Thor Odinson & Phil Coulson
Thor Odinson & Erik Selvig
Phil Coulson & Clint Barton
Nick Fury & Erik Selvig
Loki Odinson & Erik Selvig
Loki Odinson & the Tesseract
Erik Selvig & the Tesseract
Steve Rogers & the Super Soldier serum
Steve Rogers & the Tesseract
Steve Rogers & Howard Stark
Steve Rogers & Nick Fury

Now many of these established "relationships" last for only a sentence or so onscreen, but a lot of the dirty work to establish the Avengers was done. And even so, many people felt the earlier portion of the film dragged before the team rose above the conflict to fight a common foe. This is a huge handicap for the JL movie, and I am not sure how it can be overcome.

no. he'd come back WITH nolan, if nolan though there was another story to tell.

the only way i think he'd do is if he doesn't hjave to do anything more then the occasional jl film. there's no way he's going to tie himself up for 3 jl films and 5 bat films or whatever.

i think it would work so long as he's "dead" in gotham, and only shows up to kick ass when the **** really hits the fan.

i mention it a while ago, but I'd like it if, cavill's kent with his investigative reporter skills found out who he was, and where he is. the problem is, people would start asking themselves where jgl nightwing or whatever, was, then you'd have to go and start reimagining nolan's universe without his blessing.

The writers and director for the Justice League have an enormous task ahead of them in forming relationships that, for the Avengers, were established in the preceding films and post credit scenes. I counted 21 previously established relationships between people and items of import in the film:

Tony Stark & Nick Fury
Nick Fury & Phil Coulson
Nick Fury & Erik Selvig
Steve Rogers & Nick Fury

Now many of these established "relationships" last for only a sentence or so onscreen, but a lot of the dirty work to establish the Avengers was done. And even so, many people felt the earlier portion of the film dragged before the team rose above the conflict to fight a common foe. This is a huge handicap for the JL movie, and I am not sure how it can be overcome.

No it's not. The director and writers won't have to worry about 21 relationships. Thus far, they only have to worry about five superheroes banding together.

WB should go the superfriends route intro,
have a narator calling ' the justice league are SUPERMAN aka ck, BATMAN aka bw etc.
and delve straight into the story.

Tony Stark & Nick Fury
Nick Fury & Phil Coulson
Nick Fury & Erik Selvig
Steve Rogers & Nick Fury

Yes, all these relationships where established in previous movies, and then thrown out the window in favour of a popcorn spectacular. You don't need to have seen any of the previous movies to watch Avengers - none, zero, ziltch. It works on it's own, JL will be the same.

Yes, all these relationships where established in previous movies, and then thrown out the window in favour of a popcorn spectacular. You don't need to have seen any of the previous movies to watch Avengers - none, zero, ziltch. It works on it's own, JL will be the same.

What was thrown out the window? The Thor-Loki sibling rivalry? The Howard-Tony-Steve triangle, which led to the wonderfully terse single word introductions in Germany? The Phil-Pepper-Tony relationship, established way back in 2008. The trust Thor had in the "Son of Coul" and his horror at watching his death? You didn't need to see any of the prior films to watch the Avengers - but having done so greatly enhanced the experience.

I'm not saying that the JL movie can't work on it's own. But it is going to be extraordinary difficult to introduce multiple new characters, give the audience a general understanding of their powers and background, have the individuals struggle to form a cohesive unit and then unite in victory. A Superman-Batman team up would be much easier to put together and potentially just as lucrative.

ЯɘvlveR;24511379 said:
no. he'd come back WITH nolan, if nolan though there was another story to tell.

the only way i think he'd do is if he doesn't hjave to do anything more then the occasional jl film. there's no way he's going to tie himself up for 3 jl films and 5 bat films or whatever.

i think it would work so long as he's "dead" in gotham, and only shows up to kick ass when the **** really hits the fan.

i mention it a while ago, but I'd like it if, cavill's kent with his investigative reporter skills found out who he was, and where he is. the problem is, people would start asking themselves where jgl nightwing or whatever, was, then you'd have to go and start reimagining nolan's universe without his blessing.
I think Blake would have to be Batman in Gotham and people would have to truly believe it's the same Batman. Whether they believe he's ressurected or not, doesn't matter, as long as they look at Batman as this mythical creature now. This unstoppable force.

While Blake does his thing in Gotham, Bruce can always return as the Batman in other parts of the world with the Justice League.

In that case you wouldnt even have to show JGL's version or make movies with him. Just reference it in conversation in JLA. Clark and Bruce talk about how the mantle has been passed on and people in Gotham are now thinking the symbol is infinite and the Batman is infinite. Done.

What was thrown out the window? The Thor-Loki sibling rivalry? The Howard-Tony-Steve triangle, which led to the wonderfully terse single word introductions in Germany? The Phil-Pepper-Tony relationship, established way back in 2008. The trust Thor had in the "Son of Coul" and his horror at watching his death? You didn't need to see any of the prior films to watch the Avengers - but having done so greatly enhanced the experience.

I'm not saying that the JL movie can't work on it's own. But it is going to be extraordinary difficult to introduce multiple new characters, give the audience a general understanding of their powers and background, have the individuals struggle to form a cohesive unit and then unite in victory. A Superman-Batman team up would be much easier to put together and potentially just as lucrative.

This is a JLA board. Chances of hearing something good said about a Marvel movie aren't too high.

For me the biggest problem comes just from the fact this seems to be a knee jerk reaction. Sure Caps,Thor,Avengers,IM,where all made to make money but you get the feeling their was a passion behind them. Like they wanted to tell a story.
With this,I just can't help but to feel as if it's strictly money and to hell with anything else.
I guess you can find lots of irony their,but that's my two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"