What is the main reason WB don't proceed with MOS 2?

Discussion in 'Upcoming Superman Solo Movie' started by sf2, Oct 30, 2018.

?

What is the main reason WB don't proceed with MOS 2?

1. they think most people dislike a new superman film from the DCEU storyline and don't want it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. they think a new superman film won't make big money

44.4%
  3. they just don't know what to do with superman.

33.3%
  4. they can't get a director

18.5%
  5. others

3.7%
  1. sf2 Registered

what do you think of the main reason WB don't proceed with MOS 2?

2. Astro13Zombie Registered

I think it’s mostly that they just don’t think he’ll bring in the kind of money that they want.

Assassin32 likes this.
  3. Jochimus Autobot Slacker

I think it's a combination of all of the above, plus just plain exhaustion --- after 20+ years and millions upon millions of dollars' worth in nothing but false starts and the two failed attempts at jumpstarting the franchise that DID get made (Singer's and Snyder's), I think WB is just plain sick and tired of struggling with the character. Yeah, they fought to hold on to the rights, but I think part of that was them still clutching onto goldmine expectations - of course, you can't make a decent Superman movie befitting of this day and age without expecting to spend some coin. Also, I think they finally realized that it might be nice after years of actively trying to avoid drawing upon the comics to actually call upon Superman's vast mythology for story material...but at the cost of doubling-down on that same tired old misbegotten misbelief that the central character of the mythos HIMSELF is too whitebread for 21st century audiences (hence all these TV shows, airing, planned or otherwise that take place in his world but don't actually have him in them, leastwise as a main character). And now that the "angry god" approach that they've been counting on has stumbled (as I knew it would back when they announced it), they legitimately don't know what to do with him anymore (I suspect all the critical gushing about Cavill's performance in JL got drowned out by the resounding chorus of "MY GAWD WHAT HAPPENED TO HIS FACE?!?"). As for finding someone who DOES know what to do with him, well, I can imagine between the "superhero-fatigue" creative snobbery being spouted by guys like Cameron, etc., and generally what became of Singer and Snyder in the wake of their involvement (call it the Superman Curse Director's Cut, if you wish, though in Singer's case that's of his own making) that nobody's in a big hurry to take up the director's chair of another Superman movie.

#3 Jochimus, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  4. 2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

Because we're 18 days away from the one year anniversary of his last cinematic appearance, Nov 17.
    Because the 2010s has gotten more Superman on the big screen in almost 3 decades.
    Because WB adapted more Superman stories than any silverscreen era.
    Because Cavill's busy.

5. THORin #StayHome

It's because they don't know what to do with him - it's crazy how bad they are at bringing this guy to the big screen. (a) they need a better actor, (b) they need a better costume on the better actor, (c) they need a better storyline, (d) they need to make the hugely separate worlds within the DC universe to feel more compatible - Wonder Woman's got her thing going on, Aquaman's got Atlantis, Batman has Gotham City - it's too much! In Marvel, their separate worlds collide, but they mesh well together because they come together naturally, and it doesn't feel like a dress-up party. DC (not Wonder Woman, mind you, but her fellow superheroes) really feels like a cheesy Halloween party. Ben Affleck Batman was pathetic. Cavill's Superman was just dumb, and too in-your-face to feel real, especially with that costume. They changed Diana's outfit: why does Superman still need the ridiculous red cape and the bright blue outfit with the giant S? Why? Flash...don't even get me started on Flash. Ezra Miller totally breaks the suspension of disbelief every time he makes an obvious joke at the audience. Aquaman had a chance to become a more serious hero, but James Wan clearly did not jump at that chance - instead we're likely to be getting more of the same. I'm looking forward to his movie, yes, but I don't think it's going to help the DC right now, when they desperately need help. They got really lucky with WW, but they did not repeat that success with JL, and a MoS2 would likely continue the trend of bad movies. It's too late to reboot, maybe, but I think it should happen. The DC should be really awesome, and they've got great characters - but 99% of their movies have failed to make that clear. Superman needs to change significantly before he can be brought back to the big screen.

6. Boy Scout Registered

7. sf2 Registered

plain exhaustion??? "superhero-fatigue/ superman-fatigue"??? but for the past 20+ years, all they tried to do is to kill him and do the death of superman story. they have never seriously wanna establish him like what they did to spidey, ironman and captain american. they were just too obsessed in the death of superman storyline and thought it would bring them the golden eggs.

frankgutz and Jochimus like this.
  8. Jochimus Autobot Slacker

Eh, they're a Hollywood studio. They exhaust easily. :oldrazz:
    In all seriousness, you do have a point. WB pursued what by its very premise is perhaps the grimmest, darkest Superman story possible - the one where he's beaten to death - 'round Good Hope and 'round the Horn and 'round the Norway Maelstrom and 'round perdition’s flames, with results pretty much equivalent to what Ahab got for his trouble. And a lot of the f***-uppery done to the character to make him apparent box-office poison is either their own doing or ultimately their responsibility regardless. The whole "Screw it, we're done with him, bring in his hot cousin!" attitude just reinforces my belief that not only has WB learned absolutely nothing from their mistakes with the character, but even after all this time they're not even capable of doing so.

9. Vaibow Registered

They need to respect and understand superman will sell.. if done right. Superman at his best, is a fun ride for the family. That means a child can watch it, a young adult and older generation too - simply becaase they are all familiar with the character.

We are actually in danger of a generation missing out on superman. Think about it, Kirk Allen, Reeves, Donnerverse, Superboy, Animated series, Lois and Clark were all popular in their own right (smallville doesn't count). Since then, a lot of division and mixed views, no tv show or cartoon, the tide could very well turn.

10. 2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

There would be no DCW / Flarrowverse without the format or template popularized by Smallville.
    They have been so aware of how iconic Superman is that they're willing to branch out the exposure to his cousin, his grandpa, and his love interest + arch nemesis.
    They're doing the same thing with Batman sans the grandpa prequel, though I guess villain solo balances out.

frankgutz likes this.
  11. Vaibow Registered

pretty much proves my point then, that a generation now are missing out on superman

12. 2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

Obviously not with Cavill, Hoechlin, O'Connell, and J. Lewis
    Dunno what the next decade will bring

13. Vaibow Registered

A cameo on super girl and a failed movie verse or two is hardly in the same league as what i had growing up with - but sure.. I can appreciate what you are saying

14. Herofan Registered

Have to LOL in a sad way at the idea they can't get a director who wants to do it, that probably was a big part of it.

Also they don't know what they want to do with him, especially if they may really feel a dark/angsty character makes for better films (and that is what was already established) but a light, comical one makes for more profitable films and they think the audience and fanbase is very divided about what it wants.

15. 2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

There's more contemporary & varied Superman content to go around on top of the pre-existing material amassed over decades. So, this generation is hardly missing out.

frankgutz likes this.
  16. Vaibow Registered

I don't agree - but that's cool. Each to their own.

However, i hope we see other fringe characters get a chance to shine, my two boys will have flash, aquaman, shazam, BOP, M Reeves's batman etc, so good times... hopefully.

17. All-Father King of Asgard

This, exactly!

18. 2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

I definitely want to see Superboy and Steel even if outside of a Supes flick.

Vaibow likes this.
  19. Vaibow Registered

Steel was a missed oppertunity.. i hear ya

20. GreenKToo In the fire

Is anyone else hearing some rumors about cavill staying, and a new superman film coming?

21. Mandon Knight We did it......

….Because the very ideals that Superman stands for, ironically, WB do not possess.

Jochimus likes this.
  22. All-Father King of Asgard

No rumors. Specially because there no plans at all for a superman movie.

23. unholyrevenger DC is Doomed by its fans

The real answer is "Salty ********* internet Fanboys" There is nothing WB/DC can do with out triggering them so there is no point trying.

Milk Tray Guy and frankgutz like this.
  24. Micromind New World New Rules

qft.

25. Vaibow Registered

Salty fan boys/girls do not make or break a movie, so....

The real reason why - no one knows but i bet they gambled and went in a direction that got them lost and a retcon would ultimately make the past look a mess, even more so, so they are holding tight. If they go lighter in tone, looking back at what's been done, will be so dire and boring, a bit like going back to the original Thor movie. But WB should just 'screw it' and have faith.