What is worse? Adultry or Prostitution???

chaseter said:
And that is why adultry(the thread topic)as well as divorce is rampant in our country. People are so stupid and selfish to leave a marriage because the physicality of the relationship has gone. In 50 years you probably won't see any cute old people walking around holding hands. It will be a 80 year old man and a 20 something blonde.
I think you're underappreciating the value of sex. Not everyone is willing to give up sex in order to continue a lifeless marriage.

AndThePickles said:
Do you think that when the physical attraction is gone that those people were ever really "in love" though? Or that they just THOUGHT that they were "in love" because they were physically attracted to each other?
I am very much in love with my boyfriend, and the foundation of that is not physical attraction. However, of course I am attracted to him physically (and I do think that that is a natural and important aspect to any relationship), and I see that lasting as time goes on, partially BECAUSE I will still be in love with him.
Hopefully all that made sense :)
When the physical attraction is gone and those people divorce then no, they were not in love and that is what I am arguing against. A marraige that is based and formed by love and emotional bonds and not just physicallity, then that marraige will last. I am not against physical aspects of a relationship, I just think it shouldn't be used as an excuse for divorce by some of these hump monkeys in here.

Just a question: How many of you guys waxing poetic about what marriage is all about are actually married?

jag

I'm not married, just theorizing what I think would be healthy in my future marriage :)

jaguarr said:
Just a question: How many of you guys waxing poetic about what marriage is all about are actually married?

jag
I'm not. I am not rushing into it at all so that mine will most certainly last.

AndThePickles said:
I'm not married, just theorizing what I think would be healthy in my future marriage :)

You're in a committed relationship with a good guy, though, so I would tend to give your thoughts on this topic a bit more weight, Pickles.

So here's the deal, people. Marriage brings a lot of things to your life that you would never get on your own. But that sometimes takes compromise and working through issues together. And that means that, while physical attraction is certainly a component, it is not the only basis and foundation of being married to someone. There is love, trust, committment, mutual admiration, emotional bonding and a whole slew of other things that are a part of that foundation. It's not so simple as just a physical attraction or just an emotional attachment to one another. It is a heady cocktail of many different things. I sex important? Sure. A healthy sex life can make a marriage incredible. But if you think that's the only thing that it takes to make a marriage successful, you're naive. Same goes if you think just love will get you through together. It's the sum of it's parts, and learning how to live and work together with the ebb and flow of life and all the challenges it will bring to the both of you are what will make or break a marriage. ALL of it is important. 'Nuff said.

jag

jaguarr said:
You're in a committed relationship with a good guy, though, so I would tend to give your thoughts on this topic a bit more weight, Pickles.

jag

Thanks man :up:

She caught feelings.

jaguarr said:

So here's the deal, people. Marriage brings a lot of things to your life that you would never get on your own. But that sometimes takes compromise and working through issues together. And that means that, while physical attraction is certainly a component, it is not the only basis and foundation of being married to someone. There is love, trust, committment, mutual admiration, emotional bonding and a whole slew of other things that are a part of that foundation. It's not so simple as just a physical attraction or just an emotional attachment to one another. It is a heady cocktail of many different things. I sex important? Sure. A healthy sex life can make a marriage incredible. But if you think that's the only thing that it takes to make a marriage successful, you're naive. Same goes if you think just love will get you through together. It's the sum of it's parts, and learning how to live and work together with the ebb and flow of life and all the challenges it will bring to the both of you are what will make or break a marriage. ALL of it is important. 'Nuff said.

jag

Preach! :) Very wise summary my friend.

jaguarr said:

jag

I hate it when your so right it hurts.

Now cut it out.

Adultry, by a longshot. Prostitution shouldn't even be illegal. If it's consentual between 2 single people, it's not really wrong.

Jag's paragraph was pretty damn beautiful. Something I could see Bill Clinton saying for some reason.

Colossal Spoons said:
Jag's paragraph was pretty damn beautiful. Something I could see Bill Clinton saying for some reason.

I did not inhale. :o

In all seriousness, though, as a married man I find it ridiculous when young kids (I was born in the 60's, so I can call most of you kids, dammit!) try to oversimplify and trivialize something as complex and complicated as what it truly takes to make a marriage successful. Get some life experience, first. Watch your priorities change as you get older. I guarantee you that your outlook on committed relationships and what makes them successful or not is going to change over the years. If only I knew then what I know now. :o

jag

Hence my silence on the matter. Don't think I've been through enough to make a truly "educated" contribution. Though I agree with a lot of what's been said so far.

Colossal Spoons said:
Hence my silence on the matter. Don't think I've been through enough to make a truly "educated" contribution. Though I agree with a lot of what's been said so far.

Yeah, but on the sliding scale, your life experience exceeds trying to get a date for the prom or finger bang Mary Jane Rotten Crotch in the back seat of your dad's Ford Taurus while your frat brothers get the Polaroid ready. You're in, from what I can tell, a pretty solid relationship, and that counts for something. :up:

jag

I've clearly wasted my time in high school and college is almost over and I missed out on all that MJRC stuff :(

Colossal Spoons said:
I've clearly wasted my time in high school and college is almost over and I missed out on all that MJRC stuff :(

Yeah....the MJRC stuff WAS pretty awesome. :o

jag

I didn't say marriage is based on sex, but its one of several vital parts to it.

jaguarr said:
(I was born in the 60's, so I can call most of you kids, dammit!)

This is a problem I frequently have.

A lot of times Generation Xers try to talk down to me like they are an authority figure to me(I'm 18), but I just don't see them that way and it pisses me off. Its like your older brother trying to tell you what to do all the time.

Reason? My dad is 58 years old, my mom is 49. Basically anyone under 45 or so is not like a true authority figure to me, and definitely anyone under 35. I find it laughable when 32 year olds(for example) try to talk down to me like they are a wise old person when my dad is old enough to be their dad.

Maxwell Smart said:
This is a problem I frequently have.

A lot of times Generation Xers try to talk down to me like they are an authority figure to me(I'm 18), but I just don't see them that way and it pisses me off. Its like your older brother trying to tell you what to do all the time.

Reason? My dad is 58 years old, my mom is 49. Basically anyone under 45 or so is not like a true authority figure to me, and definitely anyone under 35. I find it laughable when 32 year olds(for example) try to talk down to me like they are a wise old person when my dad is old enough to be their dad.

A 32 years old is DEFINATELY your elder and deserving of some level of respect. "Respct your elders" was like the golden rule in my house.

Maxwell Smart said:
A 32 years old is DEFINATELY your elder and deserving of some level of respect. "Respct your elders" was like the golden rule in my house.

Sorry, no. A 32 year old is like an older brother to me at best. I just cannot think of someone young enough to be my dad's offspring as an "elder". My older brother is also 28 and 32 is still too close to that age as well, so thats where the "big brother" comment came from.

Yeah but you'd expect somebody 15 years older than you to be wiser and more experienced right? That equals a bit of respect in my book.

I should make it clear that age DOES NOT equal maturity or experience in every case, I'm generalizing.
my ex g/f was proof of this :mad:

Calvin said:
So then you were just talking into thin air? When you posted that, only three people had voted against it, only two people posted about it, and only one person had posted anything even close to what you were adressing.

Talking into thin air?

Why do you assume I am talking about you? What makes you think I read the entire thread before I posted? I made a general question/statement, I never read any of your posts, or any beyond the first part of page 1.

Maybe you should get over yourself? maybe? :rolleyes:

Calvin said:
But, what if they never find out. If you're good at adultery, nobody gets hurt, and the family can stay together.

I agree :up:
Sometimes secret things like that actually do help out in the end.

That time I WAS talking about your post, see how it works?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"