The Dark Knight What makes TDK so special?

Except he shot it on film....no pixels.... :oldrazz::cwink:

I think also because a real director did it and not a cookie cutter fill in director. He did HIS vision!! It wasn't a studio movie!!

I think the movie is good but not great. But I think big parts of why it's beloved by many are:
The Joker is many people's favorite villain, but a hard character to portray, and many felt the portrayal was nailed.
Two-Face is also very popular and had been wasted in the previous adaptation while here his portrayal was great.
Unlike the Burton-Schumacher films which focused most on the (played by big name actors) villains or the Marvel films which focus most on the heroes, TDK focuses on one villain and one hero-becoming-a-villain and it also has the hero being willing to give up his reputation, very rare combination.

It's beloved because it's an amazing story that's well executed with great performances by all of the main players. I'm sure there's people who don't care about the movie that much and only remember it fondly for Ledger, but they're in the minority. It's beloved by so many because it's just a really good film. Do I think it's the best movie of the century or that particular decade? No I do not. But it's damn good, and a breath of fresh air today when most superhero movies are loaded with CGI and can't focus on telling one single good story but instead have to set up multiple sequels. The ones that will be remembered are the Nolan films, the good Raimi films, and Logan...because the heart is there, the characterization is well done, and it's not concerned with a shared universe like every other Hollywood action flick these days. Nor is it concerned with pleasing every man, woman and child that buys a ticket. THAT is why TDK is still beloved in 2017, while Avengers becomes more and more forgettable.

Last edited:
The political themes may well be an element, at least subconsciously-conservatives feel it supports their positions, liberals feel it challenges theirs but does so in a thought-provoking rather than offensive way and the quality makes it more acceptable.

It's beloved because it's an amazing story that's well executed with great performances by all of the main players. I'm sure there's people who don't care about the movie that much and only remember it fondly for Ledger, but they're in the minority. It's beloved by so many because it's just a really good film. Do I think it's the best movie of the century or that particular decade? No I do not. But it's damn good, and a breath of fresh air today when most superhero movies are loaded with CGI and can't focus on telling one single good story but instead have to set up multiple sequels. The ones that will be remembered are the Nolan films, the good Raimi films, and Logan...because the heart is there, the characterization is well done, and it's not concerned with a shared universe like every other Hollywood action flick these days. Nor is it concerned with pleasing every man, woman and child that buys a ticket. THAT is why TDK is still beloved in 2017, while Avengers becomes more and more forgettable.

What is Nolan and his team doing different than the other comic book movies directors?

I think a couple things that make it great are the performances all around, the music/soundtrack really enhances the film, it can either feel like it's moving the story along at a breakneck speed, or just really unsettling with the Joker's theme or the music when it's showing shots of the city.

The direction and cinematography is great. It takes its subject matter very seriously, and found a really clever way of continuing the great story and themes from the first one, while seamlessly incorporating The Joker, Harvey Dent, Gordon, and Rachel into Bruce's character arc, as well as giving Harvey Dent his own arc that fits perfectly with Joker's. It's all taken straight from the source material but framed in a way that it all fits perfectly into these emotional character arcs and the more serious themes and lessons of the entire trilogy.

One thing that could've really improved it would be if Nolan put more effort into choreographing and filming the action/fight sequences. If TDK had a few fights similar to the warehouse scene in BvS, that would have been amazing

Last edited:
The political themes may well be an element, at least subconsciously-conservatives feel it supports their positions, liberals feel it challenges theirs but does so in a thought-provoking rather than offensive way and the quality makes it more acceptable.

you may have something there. Like myself, my late wife did not care for this version of Batman but she did latch onto the political angle and that made it more acceptable I think

I think a couple things that make it great are the performances all around, the music/soundtrack really enhances the film, it can either feel like it's moving the story along at a breakneck speed, or just really unsettling with the Joker's theme or the music when it's showing shots of the city.

The direction and cinematography is great. It takes its subject matter very seriously, and found a really clever way of continuing the great story and themes from the first one, while seamlessly incorporating The Joker, Harvey Dent, Gordon, and Rachel into Bruce's character arc, as well as giving Harvey Dent his own arc that fits perfectly with Joker's. It's all taken straight from the source material but framed in a way that it all fits perfectly into these emotional character arcs and the more serious themes and lessons of the entire trilogy.

One thing that could've really improved it would be if Nolan put more effort into choreographing and filming the action/fight sequences. If TDK had a few fights similar to the warehouse scene in BvS, that would have been amazing

yeah. everyone having an arc is unusual. this was the perfect storm.

Is anyone planning on getting that 4K boxset of the trilogy? I may pony up the cash for it because I was considering just getting the Blu Ray trilogy. Though I don't have a 4K TV, the 4K version does at least come with both Blu Ray and digital versions of the films, so there's that.

Sometime in 2018. I'll be getting Dunkirk on 4K this month though.

You don't have them on blu ray?

I have Begins and Dark Knight on just DVD from years back and considered the Blu Ray trilogy...but then Nolan came and announced that he'll be updating them for 4K, so I'm just holding off for that. I figure if they'll be in a box set, I may as well just wait for that rather than buying them individually.

I bought the TDKT box set from 2014 (book, car figures, etc) and I bagged it for $30. It was a good investment. I'm sure the movies will look fantastic in 4K, but I don't have a 4K TV.

I've been rewatching the first full trailer for this movie and I'm still in love with it. It's still amazing how little of story Nolan gives away, but completely sells the notion that the Joker here is merely, as he says, an agent of chaos. And the score just works so well with the trailer shots.

And that first reveal of the Joker in the trailer? Beautiful.

[YT]_PZpmTj1Q8Q[/YT]

With all these domestic shootings, terrorist attacks happening around the world, and the revelations that Snowden brought to light, I think The Dark Knight is more relevant now than it was back in 2008.

I've been rewatching the first full trailer for this movie and I'm still in love with it. It's still amazing how little of story Nolan gives away, but completely sells the notion that the Joker here is merely, as he says, an agent of chaos. And the score just works so well with the trailer shots.

And that first reveal of the Joker in the trailer? Beautiful.

[YT]_PZpmTj1Q8Q[/YT]

"People are dying, what would you have me do?"

"Endure. You can be the outcast, you can make the choice no one else will face. The right choice; Gotham needs you."

I'll fully admit right now, that goddamn trailer is the greatest trailer for anything superhero related I've ever seen. The only thing that's probably come close to me is the trailer for the Punisher's Netflix series.

As for what makes TDK special? Well, I'd have to chalk it up to one major thing; it was the first superhero movie ever made where the majority of people realised that you can actually take superheroes seriously.

While Batman Begins technically did it before TDK, the main problem was that BB was the first Batman movie since Batman and Robin. Safe to say, expectations weren't exactly through the roof and not many people saw it (for a Batman movie anyway). As TDK followed Batman Begins which many people saw as a return to form, a lot more people saw it and saw that superhero movies could actually be serious and didn't need many of the cartoony elements that were introduced by people like Burton. It put superheroes and superhero movies in a light that had never been projected on the two subjects, one where the general audience could actually take it seriously.

Yeah. Take it seriously, and feel like it could be plausible. I don't really think you can take other superhero movies seriously since Nolan's Batman movies though, outside of Logan. I don't think Spider-man, Superman, the Avengers etc can really be taken seriously like Batman. Tonally, and the fact that most of them are not simply human. They tried and failed.

Nolan showed a larger audience that not EVERY comic book movie should be treated like it's all one big fun joke. And more specifically, the potential of Batman on screen. He did this by grounding the characters. Is Bladerunner realistic? No. But a lot of it feels plausible. And i think that was Nolan's approach. I would even compare it to what James Cameron did with his two Terminator movies.

Yeah. Take it seriously, and feel like it could be plausible. I don't really think you can take other superhero movies seriously since Nolan's Batman movies though, outside of Logan. I don't think Spider-man, Superman, the Avengers etc can really be taken seriously like Batman. Tonally, and the fact that most of them are not simply human. They tried and failed.

Nolan showed a larger audience that not EVERY comic book movie should be treated like it's all one big fun joke. And more specifically, the potential of Batman on screen. He did this by grounding the characters. Is Bladerunner realistic? No. But a lot of it feels plausible. And i think that was Nolan's approach. I would even compare it to what James Cameron did with his two Terminator movies.

Bit unrelated, but seeing as Blade Runner is my favourite movie of all time? Oh yeah, full agreement in terms of grounding the characters and the general atmosphere.

"People are dying, what would you have me do?"

"Endure. You can be the outcast, you can make the choice no one else will face. The right choice; Gotham needs you."

I'll fully admit right now, that goddamn trailer is the greatest trailer for anything superhero related I've ever seen. The only thing that's probably come close to me is the trailer for the Punisher's Netflix series.

Hell even the teaser trailer released in 2007 is better than most modern teasers.

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWw0ov-cAUg[/YT]

Over two years ago, I got into a debate with a poster in another forum who thinks Dark Knight was a bad film(he actually thinks Dark Knight Rises is better)

Here's a snippet of what he said.

I really don't get the immense praise that the Dark Knight always gets. Many people told me that they had problems with Nolan's third Batman, that 'lots of little things took them out of the movie'. But that was the case for Dark Knight for me. Things like the Joker and his henchmen being left at Wayne's party after he rescues Rachel. The whole 2 boats with detonators for each other thing going nowhere (just showed that people didn't sway to the chaos). Batman and the police constantly ignoring the clues and not being where they needed to be; being totally incompetent to go after the Joker. Two-Face's makeup being laughably over-the-top. The premise that Dent's good work would have gone undone if Batman would not take the blame for what the guy did after he went insane.
Sure, Heath Ledger was brilliant as the Joker. But that alone did not make for a good film. I've found the story really quite shaky.
Here's my whole debate in the link. I'm known as Amadeus Arkham.

http://community.comicbookresources...11-Best-Comic-Book-Movie-Sequels-Ranked/page2

While I am a firm believer in respecting one's opinion I do think the poster was somewhat mistaken in his assessment of the film so I debated for a bit until I decided to agree to disagree with him and moved on. This debate prompted me to think further why it worked so well for so many others.

First things first, I disagree with the common assertion that Heath Ledger is what made the film great or just the acting. Granted, it was certainly one facet of what made the great but I think why the Dark Knight struck such a chord was simply because it was the first superhero film to really present itself as seriously as 'real' films such as The Godfather. Yeah, sure, there were technically the Singer X-films before that sort of took the genre seriously but in the end they still maintained the overall comic book movie feel IMO. Dark Knight was able to poise tough questions that were resonant and really identifiable in a real world context in a way no comic book movie before did.

Film Critic Hulk says it best when he explains why Dark Knight was so loved while Rises divided fans.

BUT IN ORDER TO REALLY EXPRESS WHAT GOES WRONG WITH THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, HULK HAS TO ILLUSTRATE PRECISELY WHAT HE DOES SO WELL IN THE DARK KNIGHT. FOR STARTERS, THE FILM IS JUST PLAIN ENTHRALLING. ON THE SURFACE IT'S TECHNICALLY A GAME OF "CAT AND MOUSE" WHERE THE BAT CHASES THE CLOWN DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE IN A SERIES OF MACHINATIONS, INVERSIONS, PUZZLES AND FEINTS. SOME OF WHICH DON'T MAKE A HINT OF SENSE, BUT HAVE GREAT DRAMATIC EFFECT. HECK, THE PLOT MODEL IS BASICALLY JUST AN EPISODE TOM AND JERRY. BUT THE REASON TDK RESONATES BEYOND THOSE SIMPLE TRICKS IS BECAUSE IT TAKES A SINGULAR THEMATIC THROUGH-LINE AND FOLLOWS IT THE ENTIRE WAY THROUGH THE MOVIE. AND IN THE END THOSE THEMES OUTRIGHT MANIFEST THEMSELVES IN THE FINAL ARCS OF THE CHARACTERS. TO WIT: THE FILM IS EXPRESSLY ABOUT THE EFFECT THAT PLACING THE JOKER, IN THIS CASE A PERFECT REPRESENTATION OF TOTAL ANARCHY*, DIRECTLY AGAINST THE FABRIC OF SOCIETY AND WATCHING THE WAY THAT SOCIETY REACTS. AT TIMES IT'S AN ALLUSION TO 9/11 POLITICS. AT TIMES IT'S A TREATISE ON SOCIETAL VALUES, WHETHER THEY ARE THE ROUSSEAU-IAN SOCIAL CONTRACT OR A BASIC JUDEO-CHRISTIAN OUTLOOK. BUT NO MATTER HOW THE FILM EXPRESSES ITSELF, THESE IDEAS ARE STILL A TANGIBLE RESULT OF THE CENTRAL THEME'S DRIVING FORCE. THE NIHILISTIC ANARCHISM OF THE JOKER RESULTS IN THE CORRUPTION OF HARVEY DENT, THE SLIGHT-MORAL BENDING OF BATMAN (AS WELL AS ULTIMATELY CONFIRMING HIS VERY PURPOSE AND NEED), AND EVEN ILLUSTRATES THE WAY SOCIETY CONSTRUCTS THE "THE WHITE KNIGHT" IN THE WAKE OF TRAGEDY/THE FACE OF ADVERSITY. EVEN IF HULK PERSONALLY DISAGREES ABOUT SOME OF THOSE VIEWS, IT'S STILL A PERFECTLY CLEAR ARTICULATION OF HOW SOCIETY STANDS UP TO THE THREAT OF ANARCHY. IT IS A PERFECT MARRIAGE OF THEME, CHARACTER AND PLOTTING

'Nuff said.

Last edited:
Dark Knight was able to poise tough questions that were resonant and really identifiable in a real world context in a way no comic book movie before did.

Well it tried to and even said it did but I don't think it really did and it was particularly weak in the resolutions.
How is it realistic or relate to the real world or challenging to have a villain with no specific background and no specific motivation other than just wanting to see things burn and for people to turn against each other?

To me the way society reacted felt pretty arbitrary-the public seems to support Batman then turns on him to prevent more assassinations by the Joker. Then crowds very much want to blow up the other ferry but in the end are able to barely decide to not do so and Batman decides the end result means people proved Joker wrong. Then he thinks the public and society *will* crumble if with Harvey Joker proved himself right but by preserving Harvey's legacy and darkening his own the public will not turn bad and Joker can be firmly proven wrong.

Also Batman (as a symbol for social authority generally?) creates his mass surveillance system given the emergency but has it destroyed with the conclusion of the emergency-I think that rather than realistic that's both naive for Batman to do (when another supervillain and emergency could soon occur) and naive for the film to imply authorities in general would do so.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"