The Dark Knight What makes TDK so special?

Rewatching this film right now - had a break from it for a while.

It's just as amazing as the first time I saw it 10 years ago- Nolan really did something special here. I love the MCU and its amazing visuals but there's something to be said for TDK's emphasis on practical effects. That, the story and the performances, particularly Ledger's, make it the phenomenon that it was and still is.

While I enjoyed Black Panther I just don't see it as being as good a film as TDK. I don't think we'll see a cbm film of its calibre for a long time.
The Dark knight is in a league of its own in every way. its a film that leaps beyond being a comic book film, and is a master craft in filmmaking, and storytelling. its not just the greatest comic book film of all time, but one of the greatest films ever made. PERIOD!

The Dark Knight is trending on twitter because of this tweet.

****. This is brutal. I can live without Avengers: Infinity War, as I have no particular attachment to it (it's pretty good, though, but I liked Endgame better). Next up, as much as I love them, I would have to exclude The Empire Strikes Back and Inception. Probably followed by Space Jam, which I'm uncertain about, because It was the first ever movie I saw in theaters. Which would theoretically leave me with five. At that point I would shoot whoever asked me to make such decision and keep six, including Space Jam.

Easy peasy. Pulp Fiction, Dark Knight, Jurassic Park.

I can't get rid so easily of Toy Story and especially a masterpiece such as Goodfellas.

honestly, I'd probably put Toy Story in there as well. it's a masterpiece and I can't picture life without that film. Plus it came out when i was 2 years old haha.

Out of those? Easy for me: The Dark Knight, Toy Story and The Empire Strikes Back.

Naturally I also like quite Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction and Jurassic Park, but none of them are in my personal top three for their respective directors. *shrug*

I think the third act is a little rushed and overstuffed. I'd have preferred it if they'd ended the movie on a cliffhanger, with the Joker professing his Ace in the hole in the form of Harvey, and instead had Two-Face and his vendetta take center stage for TDKR. Would have continued the tradition of the core conflict of Nolan's movies being philosophical in nature, with the action merely serving as pretty window dressing. Unfortunately, while I've since grown to like TDKR and there are still certainly philosophical underpinnings to the conflict, it drifts more towards being a typical superhero movie and with many leaps in logic.

Rewatched this again today for the millionth time. still an untouchable masterpiece and one of the best movies ever made.

Yeah, haven't seen it for a while, put it in the DVD player last night ( it automatically repeats) and just left it playing. Found I got sucked in, no matter what point it was at. The interrogation scene is still the crux of the whole film.

I will admit that it has some flaws, but it's still one of the best films ever made - really noticed how Zimmer's score sets the tone beautifully. A true masterpiece.

I think the third act is a little rushed and overstuffed. I'd have preferred it if they'd ended the movie on a cliffhanger, with the Joker professing his Ace in the hole in the form of Harvey, and instead had Two-Face and his vendetta take center stage for TDKR.

I think Nolan would have done that if he knew he was coming back for a third film, but he's said that he made each film without the assumption that there would be a sequel. Putting all of his eggs in one story basket, so to speak. He was never contractually bound for three like the core cast was and for a while when he was making Inception it was unclear if he'd come back again. He kind of had to be convinced every time by Jonah and Goyer.

I think one of the things that makes TDK so damn incredible is the way It portrays the good, and idealistic traits in people vs the nihilistic and grim point of view. You have Harvey Dent, the symbol of pure goodness/justice, Batman, who thinks hes above the law, and comissioner Gordon, a cop who enforces the law and tries to play by the book. Harvey Dent is the idealistic person that, in TDK, all people should aspire to be to the point where even Batman thinks Gotham doesn't need him because Harvey is better for Gotham. Then in comes this force of nature, out of the nowhere, that challenges that very idealistic view of the "perfect" person and how, to quote the comics, one bad day can make that person can drive the sanest person to lunacy. The idea of the Joker being created either directly or indirectly from Someone like Batmans is existence is both fascinating and terrifying at the same time. The ideal person, Harvey Dent, is what all people aspire to be, but when you have something like the Batman roaming around, it's gonna balance itself out with the exact opposite of Batman. Escalation, as Gordon said at the end of Batman Begins, is Batmans fault and the price to pay for doing the things he does. In a world where Batman exists as well as a Harvey Dent, there will be the other side, equally as dramatic, to say it doesn't mean s***. You have Batman taking the fall for Harveys crimes to preserve the image of greatness (Harvey Dent) that people should aspire to be, but it's all idealistic since the Joker accomplished what he set out to do. Even though the end of TDK on the ferry proves that not everybody is as evil as the Joker, but still.

To quote a recent interview with Matt Reeves, TDK is a look into the abyss. A fascinating, terrifying look.

Last edited:
The Dark Knight is trending on twitter because of this tweet.

Holy crap. Okay, TDK is the definitive Batman film, and a great film full stop. Empire Strikes Back is one of the most important films from my childhood, and a masterpiece.

These two films I can't do without - this makes it a fight for the third spot between Inception, a film I love ( it's on in the background right now) on so many levels, and Endgame which is a great comic book spectacle- and one I'm very fond of.

Inception has a wonderful original story and probably the best, or at least the tightest, character arc of any film. It's genius.

Endgame feels a bit aimless in the middle but has a climax filled with moments to make the audience cheer - I did !

Thanks goodness I don't have to choose. Although if I could only keep one film it would be TDK.

I have not been blown away by a movie in the theater as i was with TDK. I've had some AMAZING experiences (Force Awakens comes to mind), but yeah. Endgame was amazing to experience with a crowd, but as a film I find it flawed with a great ending. I wouldn't even the rank film in my top 5 MCU movies.

Critics' Poll: ‘Mulholland Drive' Named Best Film of the 2000s — World of Reel

TDK is on this list.

World of Reel surveyed film critics, actors, directors, academics, and curators from over a dozen countries to compile a list of the best films released between 2000-2009.

1) Mulholland Drive (David Lynch)
2) There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson)
3) Zodiac (David Fincher)
4) In the Mood For Love (Wong Kar-Wai)
5) No Country For Old Men (Joel and Ethan Coen)
6) Children of Men (Alfonso Cuaron)
7) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry)
8) Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki)
9) Yi Yi: A One and A Two (Edward Yang)
10) Lost in Translation (Sofia Coppola)

11) The Dark Knight (Christopher Nolan)
12) Pan's Labyrinth (Guillermo del Toro)
13) 25th Hour (Spike Lee)
14) 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days (Cristi Mungiu)
15) The New World (Terrence Malick)
16) Brokeback Mountain (Ang Lee)
17) Inglourious Basterds (Quentin Tarantino)
18) Y Tu Mamá También (Alfonso Cuaron)
19) The Royal Tenenbaums (Wes Anderson)
20) The Departed (Martin Scorsese)

21) City of God (Fernando Meirelles)
22) WALL-E (Andrew Stanton)
23) The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Peter Jackson)
24) Almost Famous (Cameron Crowe)
25) Talk to Her (Pedro Almodovar)
26) Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Ang Lee)
27) Oldboy (Chan Woo-Park)
28) The Hurt Locker (Kathryn Bigelow)
29) Dogville (Lars Von Trier)
30) The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (Cristi Puiu)

31) Caché (Michael Haneke)
32) The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford (Andrew Dominik)
33) Memento (Christopher Nolan)
34) Synecdoche, New York (Charlie Kaufman)
35) Werckmeister Harmonies (Béla Tarr)
36) Syndromes and a Century (Apichatpong Weerasethakul)
37) Rachel Getting Married (Jonathan Demme)
38) Miami Vice (Michael Mann)
39) Amelie (Jean-Pierre Jeunet)
40) Donnie Darko (Richard Kelly)

41) Up! (Pete Docter)
42) Adaptation (Spike Jonze)
43) Sideways (Alexander Payne)
44) Moulin Rouge (Baz Luhrmann)
45) The White Ribbon (Michael Haneke)
46) Punch-Drunk-Love (Paul Thomas Anderson)
47) A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Steven Spielberg)
48) Ghost World (Terry Zwigoff)
49) The Prestige (Christopher Nolan)
50) The Incredibles (Brad Bird)

Last edited:
I think the third act is a little rushed and overstuffed. I'd have preferred it if they'd ended the movie on a cliffhanger, with the Joker professing his Ace in the hole in the form of Harvey, and instead had Two-Face and his vendetta take center stage for TDKR. Would have continued the tradition of the core conflict of Nolan's movies being philosophical in nature, with the action merely serving as pretty window dressing. Unfortunately, while I've since grown to like TDKR and there are still certainly philosophical underpinnings to the conflict, it drifts more towards being a typical superhero movie and with many leaps in logic.

I don't like a lot of the storytelling in TDK's third act. But given real world events, we should probably be glad it exists. It's extra time with Ledger's Joker. I'm very grateful for that aspect of it.

Hope you are all well, out there in the rest of the world.

Down here we've got this Covid thing almost stamped out - so cinemas have been open for a while. With almost no new content they're having to replay greatest hits, and this weekend they're playing the Nolan Bat trilogy over 3 nights.

Of course I'm going - can't wait to see these films on a big screen again. But I'll be thinking of you folks and hoping that soon wherever you are, it will be safe enough for life to go back to normal.

@Gothamsknight , I'll be thinking of your comments especially when I go to see TDK on Saturday.

Stay safe and well. Cheers.

Hope you are all well, out there in the rest of the world.

Down here we've got this Covid thing almost stamped out - so cinemas have been open for a while. With almost no new content they're having to replay greatest hits, and this weekend they're playing the Nolan Bat trilogy over 3 nights.

Of course I'm going - can't wait to see these films on a big screen again. But I'll be thinking of you folks and hoping that soon wherever you are, it will be safe enough for life to go back to normal.

@Gothamsknight , I'll be thinking of your comments especially when I go to see TDK on Saturday.

Stay safe and well. Cheers.
Sounds good man! In my state, we've managed to crush this thing so cinemas reopened last weekend. I saw raiders of the lost ark and Jurassic Park but I do hope they rerelease TDK trilogy. Seeing those 3 in the theater were some of the best experiences I've ever had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"