What Needs to Be Changed for a Sequel?

Discussion in 'Suicide Squad Sequels' started by CaptainWagner, Aug 15, 2016.

1. CaptainWagner

CaptainWagner Not Today

So, the reception to the Suicide Squad's big screen debut was a very mixed bag. So long as it ultimately grosses enough to justify a sequel, what do you feel should be changed, or left the same, to make a better film?

For me, the first answer is obvious: Don't bring in a trailer editing company to completely alter the theme and story of the movie.

2. Milk Tray Guy

Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

I just rewatched Suicide Squad. For the first twenty min or so I thought This is better than I remember... but then it started to go off the rails with the choppy editing. Yes, without doubt the main thing is make it properly coherent rather than just about understandable. I thought the performances were pretty good - I loved Robbie and (surprisingly) Courtney, and Smith didn't annoy me as much as I expected - although I don't like him in the role. I'm divided about Leto's Joker; as a performance I liked it, but it isn't Joker - at least not for me - and I wouldn't really be sorry if the role was recast (can't see that happening though). I'd definitely like to see more of Katana - I loved how badass she was. I'd like them to explore her backstory too.

#2 Milk Tray Guy, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
  3. Boom

Boom I got nothin'

The squad doesn't need to take on a world-threatening event. Scale the scope down and go with a smaller, tighter narrative. Have them take on ONSLAUGHT in the next film, with Ravan or Antiphon as the group's leader.

4. Grommers

Grommers King Grommers

It legit could be a carbon copy of Assault on Arkham and I'd be more than happy.

A smaller story, a team with a mission, great character moments, reminders through out they are still villains, instead of have them remind the audience every so often they are villains.

5. Tg11

Tg11 Registered

Yeah keep the characters true to their comic form in the sense of their personalities but also at the same time don't remind us ad nauseum that they are villains because we know that they are and also if they keep it close to the source material like Assault on Arkham then I think the sequel could be better than the first

6. Sawyer

Sawyer High King

I'm still in a state of shock that they were so off-base where the main threat of the film was concerned. I mean, there was other stuff too, but...

What should've been a down and dirty action film ended up being a CG-fest with black raspberry-headed guys running around. Definitely need to right the ship in that regard.

7. Tg11

Tg11 Registered

Deathstroke joining the team

8. Omegabat

Omegabat Registered

Well I think the Squad should keep Harley, Flag, Lawton and Bommerang while adding two completely expendable characters. We dont need Croc and Katana and frankly they can throw a curveball and kill atleast one of the 4 main characters. This means no characters like Manta, Ivy, Deathstroke or any villain whom execs will be hesitant to kill off.

Plot wise they should do a street level extraction story like Assault on Arkham but since that's been done they can go with Tom King's recent Batman arc "I am Suicide" minus Batman himself.

Just have the story take place in Santa Prisca, specifically Pena Dura, make Bane the villain, establish his history with Batman and you're set.

For the love of God dont have them take a trip to Apokolips

9. Greens

Greens I am Danny DeVito

More thought put into the villain.

More thought put into the action scenes.

More thought put into the story.

10. Milk Tray Guy

Assault on Arkham is one of my very favourite DC animations - I certainly wouldn't have been sorry if SS had been closer to that.

I didn't really have a problem that I can recall with the action scenes, but definitely yes on the other two.

11. Boy Scout

Boy Scout Registered

I doubt I’m saying anything new here, but...

• Lower the stakes. The Suicide Squad should not, at any point, be responsible for saving the world.

• Emphasize the fact that the Squad is made up of criminals. They can be funny, charismatic, and even cool, but the audience should never question the fact that these people belong in jail.

• Do whatever is necessary to “fix” The Joker. Change his personality, his clothes, ditch the tattoos...I don’t care. Don’t waste Jared Leto.

12. TheVerbos

TheVerbos Registered

The fact that they're villains should be a huge part of the entire dynamic. In the movie they were just a generic motley crew. Due to the fact that they're bad guys, they should be doing things and making choices that are different than we'd expect from characters in a random team-up movie. This is super obvious and I don't get how this wasn't dramatized.

Give them a connection to the antagonist. Cara Delevingne's character was somewhat of a waste because not only was she reduced to a largely impersonal special effect but no one aside from Rick Flagg had any connection to her.

13. Milk Tray Guy

Even Harley's...

[YT]4VRKtABvxEA[/YT]

... felt like a forced attempt to remind us. We shouldn't need reminding.

#13 Milk Tray Guy, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  14. Hello2016

Hello2016 Registered

I think that perhaps was moreso the studio trying to be cute with the MPAA to hit the audience over the head with it to avoid R rating. I suppose by being so direct some may have considered it be risque and edgy as well.:thf: