What other Asian actors do you want in this film?

Dark Raven

It's not about what you deserve...
Reaction score
Since Black Panther had an almost all-black cast, and Crazy Rich Asians had an all-Asian cast, who else do you want to star in this film?

So far, only Simu Liu, Awkwafina and Tony Leung have been announced.

Who would you like either from previous martial arts films, and which other Asian actors from other general films or TV shows?

Anyone else from Crazy Rich Asians?

I'd like Jackie Chan or Jet Li obviously. But it would be cool to get people like Hwang Jang Lee too.

Don't know if they could get someone like Michelle Yeoh. Hasn't she had a cameo already in GOTG2? But maybe no-one will remember her.

Also, with Agents of SHIELD ending, could they bring in someone like Ming Na? And if so, would she even play the same role as Agent Melinda May? Or would she be someone else like Mahershala Ali is playing Blade when he was Cottonmouth before?

Emma Stone
Jim Sturgess
Billy Magnussen
Jake Gyllenhaal
Scarlett Johannsen in a wig

I feel like the cast just needs a little bit more of an Angela basset type role. Pei pei Cheng would be amazing

Should someone like Zhang Ziyi play in this? She always does gravity-defying wirework though, so I don't know that I would want her in this.

My pick for Shang Chi was Ludi Lin. He didn't get the role but I hope he can still make it into the movie. He is pretty similar to Simu in build and age. I think he could be a sub villain, side kick, or rival to Simu as Shang Chi.

Definitely Donnie Yen. He's still got the moves at his age. Right up there with Bruce Lee and Jet Li in abilities imo, as far as how it looks on screen at least.
They've got a legendary dramatic actor in Tony Leung. Now just round it out with the Kung-fu guy in Yen. This is what he does. Come on? The rest of the cast can be unknowns.

Why didn't they get Donnie Yen as the Mandarin? Unless Tony Leung is better at acting?

I have to wonder about Tony Leung's fighting skills because most of his scenes were filmed in slow motion in Grandmaster, and don't look quite on the same level as Donnie Yen where you see the action happening much faster.

I really don't like that Ip Man style of filming.

I hope they get Sammo Hung in this too. I wish they would get him for the choreography too.

Godfrey Gao - they passed him over for the title role (but I love Liu, so it’s cool), but I could see him as one of the villains, a gangster or something like that.

How about Angela Mao? She was in Enter the Dragon as the sister of Bruce Lee's character

She would still be young enough to star in Shang Chi, as she is only 68. I don't know who she'd play though.

Why didn't they get Donnie Yen as the Mandarin? Unless Tony Leung is better at acting?

I have to wonder about Tony Leung's fighting skills because most of his scenes were filmed in slow motion in Grandmaster, and don't look quite on the same level as Donnie Yen where you see the action happening much faster.

I really don't like that Ip Man style of filming.

I hope they get Sammo Hung in this too. I wish they would get him for the choreography too.

Donnie Yen is an action star. Tony Leung is like a character actor , I believe he has won best actor numerous times in the HK film awards. So ya, acting wise they are not in the same caliber.

As for his fighting skills he has no martial art background unlike Yen. So I would say his only experience probably comes from basic training throughout his career when doing any martial art shows. And the Grandmaster does have terrible action choreography. Can't really see 95% of the action, it's like all zoomed in to their hands and feet etc. It's directed by Wong Kar Wai, a famous director in HK known for his artistic style. I guess that's why it's shot that way, probably appeals more to people who likes this kind of artistic stuff.

Donnie Yen is an action star. Tony Leung is like a character actor , I believe he has won best actor numerous times in the HK film awards. So ya, acting wise they are not in the same caliber.

As for his fighting skills he has no martial art background unlike Yen. So I would say his only experience probably comes from basic training throughout his career when doing any martial art shows. And the Grandmaster does have terrible action choreography. Can't really see 95% of the action, it's like all zoomed in to their hands and feet etc. It's directed by Wong Kar Wai, a famous director in HK known for his artistic style. I guess that's why it's shot that way, probably appeals more to people who likes this kind of artistic stuff.

This is exactly what I think of Grandmaster. Too much slow mo and close ups, as if it's done to disguise the lack of skill compared to better martial artists. And then it's too much stop and starts, like an American football game.

The fights that you see for someone like Donnie Yen or any other martial artist looks so much better and more enjoyable to watch. I really don't want them copying the Grandmaster's style. That would completely suck and give the impression that Marvel don't know how to make a martial arts movie.

If this is going to be more of a comedy, then they really should get the likes of Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung. Maybe Jackie Chan could play some wise mentor who trains Shang Chi. He would be a pretty big get for Marvel and a much bigger name than Tony Leung, at least worldwide.

Moving Shadow - Max Zhang
White Dragon - Lewis Tan
Mr. Negative - Daniel Wu
Shen Kuei - Ludi Lin
Leiko Wu - Celina Jade
Ghostmaker - Dustin Nguyen
Fah Lo Suee - Dianne Doan

Lucy Lui
Olivia Munn
Kelly Hu
Zhang Ziyi
Fan Bingbing
Yunjin Kim
Daniel Dae Kim
Mingna Wen
Chloe Bennett
Lyrica Okano

Some of them could appear in the sequel or threequel.

Tony Leung won the best actor in Cannes film festival, not just in Hong Kong. He won probably more in Taiwan as well. He also co led the very acclaimed Chungking Express. He’s good, as in very damn good, even he’s not flashy as some (and I’m not looking at Jackie Chan).

My question mark is how big a draw he is in China, as opposed to some more well known mainland Chinese actors. His mandarin is actually not that good and his dialogue was dubbed in mandarin in Hero.

Last edited:
Lucy Liu
Jason Scott Lee
Jet Li
Donnie Yen
Zhang Ziyi

They should get Nora Miao. She's 67 now and a veteran of Kung Fu movies, having starred alongside both Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan.

Not sure who she would play, but it could be someone's mother.

fresh faces, not the hollywood's usual token asians.

Maybe they could have more queer rep with people like BD wong or Benjamin law? That might be fun

Kelly Hu
Mark Dacascos
Jason Scott Lee
Zhang Ziyi
Chow Yun Fat

Aw Kelly hu! I was thinking just yesterday how much I wish she had been given a better chance with the x-films

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"