What people DIDN'T like from The Avenger ........Spoilers - Part 1

Discussion in 'Marvel's The Avengers' started by Thread Manager, May 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc Samson Superhero Psychiatrist

I've said this before, but on more viewings, it's really bugging me now. And I'm not the hugest fan of either Thor or Loki, but they both are portrayed too weak and silly for my tastes.

I mean, they both are (or should be) the strongest characters in the whole movie, they are essentially gods, after all. But we see IM holding his own against "the God of Thunder?" I don't care how much power he gleaned from Thor shocking him, it just should have never been a contest. Thor finally started kicking his ass near the end, and I understand IM is Marvels' new goldenboy, at least in terms of the MCU, but I felt that fight should've been 2 seconds long, at the most. On top of that, the Hulk jabbing him out of the screen, while funny the first time, just makes him look weak now. And the Hulk is my guy, I should be ecstatic about it!

Speaking of which, how the Hulk just rag-dolls Loki, IMO, makes his whole threat level seem obsolete and tepid. If the Hulk could do that to him in a matter of seconds, by himself, why are we supposed to fear this guy? "Puny god" is quite appropriate. Making matters worse is the whole opening scene. You mean to tell me Loki needs to indulge in a high speed chase in the back of a truck to escape humans & a collapsing building?

2. ThePowerCosmic Hyped Up

I agree with everyting you said except for the bolded. Hulk should be the strongest, but I do understand where you're coming from. Thor and Loki's strength/power was downplayed. I can only hope that they'll eventually grow into the characters from the comics.

3. ThePowerCosmic Hyped Up

Something I hate is how they didn't bring back Thor's lightning move to bring Tony back to consciousness at the end. They gave Hulk a little too much of the spotlight. He already saved Stark from falling right when Thor was going to do it. They could have at least given him the lightning move... would have seemed pretty godly. :csad:

4. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

The lightning really wasn't needed since it wasn't Tony's heart that had stopped. It was more of an oxygen deprivation thing that really only needed Hulk's scream to wake him up, sort of like an alarm clock.

5. spidermanJLA!~ SUPERHERO

I agree, Although I did expect Thor to wake him up and I was quite surprised when Hulk screamed. But like you said, he was unconscious. BTW, I think that that scene was a hidden easter egg. It was Thor, Cap, Iron Man, and Hulk. The big four Avengers! The top dogs!

6. ThePowerCosmic Hyped Up

But what do loud sounds have to do with being awoken from oxygen deprivation?

Anyway, I'm not looking for logic. I just wanted Thor to do the lightning move to bring Tony back. They gave Hulk too much to do.

7. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

He was basically in a sleep-like state that didn't need lightning to wake him up. Now if he had run out of power and his chest arc reactor was no longer working, then maybe I could have seen Thor giving him a jump start.

8. Brother Jack The Penitent Man

They almost kind of have to be for there to be any stakes, at least with Thor. Thor as he traditionally is in the comics could have handled a lot of the climax by himself, but that doesn't gel with the Avengers being a team with a few members being relatively normal humans.

9. ThePowerCosmic Hyped Up

Begone with your logic. Both of you, foul creatures! Begone!

But Loki should have used way more magic. I'm not even sure you could call what he did magic... except for that duplicating **** he's been doing for two movies. Oh yeah, and the shapeshifting.

10. Brother Jack The Penitent Man

I agree that it would have helped if he was presented as a bigger threat.

11. Micromind New World New Rules

It was really odd that Loki did not project his false images to fool Hulk, like he did to fool Thor many times.

Plus the fact that Loki did nothing to take back his staff.

12. ThePowerCosmic Hyped Up

They actually were going to have Loki duplicate himself to try and confuse Hulk, with Hulk eventually sniffing out the real Loki and pounding him into the ground. Whedon said it was budgetary issues, though.

Here's the pre-vis:

[YT]nuXjZNm7O88[/YT]

13. spidermanJLA!~ SUPERHERO

Ha! Hulk came back to smash him again. That would have been too cartoony, tho.

14. Spider-Aziz Head scratching webhead

A slap like the one Hulk did to smother the helicopter fire during his fight with Abomination would be better than sniffing

Don't remember super smell power for Hulk in any of his comics I read

15. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Yeah I didn't either

16. Micromind New World New Rules

Ang Lee's Hulk and Leterrier's Hulk was child like whereas Whedon's Hulk was animal-like, Ape Hulk.

17. Silvermoon Made To Be Ruled

The idea, per the commentary, is that him sniffing Loki out was going to be 'the payoff' to Banner's earlier line of "You can smell crazy on him."

18. Vartha Mod of Thunder

WE were apelike millions of years ago :woot: just saying lol

19. pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

20. optimus2861 Registered

When we first see Banner, and right up to the time he arrives at the scene of the final battle, he still doesn't accept the Hulk as being a part of him. Hulk is something/someone to be contained, to be bottled up, a menace from which Banner has to protect himself and the world. Banner is teaching himself to better control his Hulk-outs not to use the Hulk's power for good, but to prevent Hulk's power from doing harm. Hence Banner's referring to Hulk as "the other guy", something external to himself, something Banner doesn't accept (this does contradict Banner's experience in TIH, though, when Banner willingly subjected himself to a Hulk-out to stop Abomination; we're not certain what happened between then & now and why Banner still can't accept Hulk).

It's not until Tony talks to him about Banner surviving the gamma accident for a reason that Banner actually starts to reconsider his thinking. The deleted scene with the security guard continues this character bit, and then finally Banner arrives on scene, ready to use Hulk's power for good.

In the next Hulk or Avengers movie, I expect Banner to refer to Hulk by name, still with some reluctance/apprehension no doubt, but it will signal Banner's acceptance of Hulk as part of him. I hope we'll also see Hulk begin to speak more as the two personalities start coming to some kind of balance, and for Hulk to be less of a "Chaotic Neutral."

21. Spider-Aziz Head scratching webhead

In the chinook Bruce and Thadeus talk about releasing the Hulk to fight Abomination
    Ross: "You think you can control it?"
    Banner: "No, aim it"

22. ThePowerCosmic Hyped Up

I hate the idea of Hulk sniffing out Loki. When I first said that here, there were a few who disagreed with me. The idea is pretty ridiculous imo.

23. spidermanJLA!~ SUPERHERO

All true, but just one thing, if you watch TIH, It feels like a completely different place. Truth be told, Iron Man and TIH were test subjects, and Thor and FA were predecessors to the Avengers.(MCU)

24. the dmg The Funky Homosapien

Tarantino would have filmed it in the Quinjet.

25. ThePowerCosmic Hyped Up

I'm glad that people are actually calling him Hulk now. I guess they got the idea from that college kid being interviewed by the news in TIH.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.