The Avengers What people DIDN'T like from The Avenger ........Spoilers - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said this before, but on more viewings, it's really bugging me now. And I'm not the hugest fan of either Thor or Loki, but they both are portrayed too weak and silly for my tastes.

I mean, they both are (or should be) the strongest characters in the whole movie, they are essentially gods, after all. But we see IM holding his own against "the God of Thunder?" I don't care how much power he gleaned from Thor shocking him, it just should have never been a contest. Thor finally started kicking his ass near the end, and I understand IM is Marvels' new goldenboy, at least in terms of the MCU, but I felt that fight should've been 2 seconds long, at the most. On top of that, the Hulk jabbing him out of the screen, while funny the first time, just makes him look weak now. And the Hulk is my guy, I should be ecstatic about it!

Speaking of which, how the Hulk just rag-dolls Loki, IMO, makes his whole threat level seem obsolete and tepid. If the Hulk could do that to him in a matter of seconds, by himself, why are we supposed to fear this guy? "Puny god" is quite appropriate. Making matters worse is the whole opening scene. You mean to tell me Loki needs to indulge in a high speed chase in the back of a truck to escape humans & a collapsing building?

Actually Hulk is stronger than Thor in the comics as well and he's MUCH stronger than Loki has ever been. I don't think Hulk's punch made Thor look weak at all, since A) it was a sucker punch and B) Thor tanked it with ZERO visible damage.

I think you were expecting a little too much, I'm a huge Thor fan and I could've told you that Thor wasn't going to pummel IM into the ground. You said it yourself, Iron Man/RDJ is Marvel's golden boy and there's no way RDJ would be cool with Iron Man not giving Thor a good match.

Honestly, Loki probably *wouldn't* have gone down easily to the Hulk if he hadn't already been disarmed, injured, and put off his game mentally.

Honestly, Loki probably *wouldn't* have gone down easily to the Hulk if he hadn't already been disarmed, injured, and put off his game mentally.

Agreed and plus, I don't think it was Loki himself that was presented as the BIG threat as opposed to what his plans were and what he was intending on bringing to Earth that was more in line of the big threat that would call for the heroes having to unite under one banner.

I mean, Thor defeated Loki on his own in his solo film so that proved right there that in a one on one basis, we have heroes who could defeat Loki in a sparring match. But Loki bringing an Alien armada with a seemingly limitless supply of soldiers and advance weaponry, now that's something that would be more aligned with the threat that's worthy of the Avengers. I mean, even the Hulk got the wind knocked out of him after being ganged up by several of them and it took him awhile to get back up.

Hadn't noticed they did. lol Tho "Sentiment" was used an aweful lot lol

Black Widow: So Banner, that's your play.
Cap: Thor, what's his play?
Cap: You're not the one to make the sacrifice play.
Not sure about any others.

I don't like the solution of Fury's superiors "Nuke Manhattan". Every time something like this happens they nuke a town? I don't like the way they think cause no town will stay alive that way

The good thing to come out of that is Iron Man's solution, he's awesome to come up with that plan as fast as he did and send the nuke deep inside the portal

Really? I only heard it used twice. First time was when that guy in the World Security Council said that war wasn't one with sentiment. The second time was when Loki stabbed Thor and muttered sentiment. I thought that was referring to the first time the WSC guy said it. Makes sense how they connect, because Thor was trying to appeal to his brother's heart to win him over.

Something I noticed, was everyone suppose to be wearing invisible ear pieces or something?

I could understand with Cap (when wearing the cowl), Fury and Stark, but how was everyone else talking to each other being that you clearly see that they're not wearing any sort of communication devices.

Something I noticed, was everyone suppose to be wearing invisible ear pieces or something?

I could understand with Cap (when wearing the cowl), Fury and Stark, but how was everyone else talking to each other being that you clearly see that they're not wearing any sort of communication devices.

Yeah, I was tripped out by that too.

They make fun of it at 2:38 in this honest trailer for the movie:

[YT]QDajL441mZc[/YT]

Maybe it's just because of the types of tv shows and stuff that I tend to watch, but I always assumed that they (with the exception of Thor & Hulk) were wearing earbuds/earwigs. For me I tend to see them used in some spy shows/movies, or shows like Leverage, Brenda Lee in the tv show The Closer would use them when interrogating a suspect. They're small enough that they fit pretty much right into the ear canal and it's a fairly snug fit so that they can't be knocked loose - ideal if you find yourself in a fight.

It's not too out there... Look at how small hearing aids can get.

Actually Hulk is stronger than Thor in the comics as well and he's MUCH stronger than Loki has ever been. I don't think Hulk's punch made Thor look weak at all, since A) it was a sucker punch and B) Thor tanked it with ZERO visible damage.

I think you were expecting a little too much, I'm a huge Thor fan and I could've told you that Thor wasn't going to pummel IM into the ground. You said it yourself, Iron Man/RDJ is Marvel's golden boy and there's no way RDJ would be cool with Iron Man not giving Thor a good match.

Whedon pretty much says so himself in the commentary:

"I like knocking Asgardians out of the screen because it makes me laugh"

Or something to that effect during the mountaintop scene when IM just tackles him out of the frame. And then he goes on to say he's going to continue to do it in the movie because of this reason. Not because of who's stronger in what comic, or what the circumstances are with RDJ's popularity, according to the guy himself, it makes him chuckle. I just hope you laugh everytime you see it, lord knows I don't...

One thing I didnt like about the movie was that Iron Man got no proper fight with Loki. I actually think it would have been a really good match-up, Thor was obviously beyond IM, and Hulk was obviously beyond Loki, so why didnt they have IM and Loki match-up at all, their confrontations were simply IM shooting Loki and that was it. Bit dissapointing.

Also, I didnt like Thor dodging/hammer blocking the bullets from the jet in the Hulk fight and the shots from The Chitauri in the final battle, made Thor look a bit weak on the movie I thought.

As a Hulk fan, also thought the Chitauri being able to pin him down with gun-fire was a bit silly considering what Hulk survived in the movie.

Here are some of the other things that I had issues with:

• For the most part, whenever we saw Loki in a physical confrontation with someone, he was always presented in getting his ass handed to him somehow; whether it was intentional or not on his part. I mean Captain America held his own against Loki, Iron Man was presented as pretty much owning Loki with his laser blasts, Thor and Hulk topped Loki, and even Hawkeye and Black Widow had their moments. Aside from his skirmish with Hawkeye in the beginning, Loki was never presented in having the real upper hand against any of the other avengers.

• One thing that someone just pointed out was if the Avengers were created with the idea that they would be the group that would take on the forces that regular people couldn’t, then did the filmmakers do the best job in presenting that notion? I mean for example, it only took one nuke to destroy the Alien’s ship that ended up disarming the remaining soldiers on earth. Also, earth weapons were seemingly capable of destroying and harming them since Black Widow and Hawkeye could take care of them with his arrows and her bullets.

• Thor’s and Captain America’s costumes; wow, those were some pretty bad designs or transitions from the designs made for them onto the big screen imho.

• For the most part, whenever we saw Loki in a physical confrontation with someone, he was always presented in getting his ass handed to him somehow; whether it was intentional or not on his part. I mean Captain America held his own against Loki, Iron Man was presented as pretty much owning Loki with his laser blasts, Thor and Hulk topped Loki, and even Hawkeye and Black Widow had their moments. Aside from his skirmish with Hawkeye in the beginning, Loki was never presented in having the real upper hand against any of the other avengers.
Probably a reason for him to call the aid of an army

One thing to note; Cap is ridiculously skilled he can take down both Thor and Iron Man facing them one on one, sometimes even Hulk

• One thing that someone just pointed out was if the Avengers were created with the idea that they would be the group that would take on the forces that regular people couldn’t, then did the filmmakers do the best job in presenting that notion? I mean for example, it only took one nuke to destroy the Alien’s ship that ended up disarming the remaining soldiers on earth. Also, earth weapons were seemingly capable of destroying and harming them since Black Widow and Hawkeye could take care of them with his arrows and her bullets.
Can't help but agree with this point
But it did make one great action packed act

One thing I didnt like about the movie was that Iron Man got no proper fight with Loki. I actually think it would have been a really good match-up, Thor was obviously beyond IM, and Hulk was obviously beyond Loki, so why didnt they have IM and Loki match-up at all, their confrontations were simply IM shooting Loki and that was it. Bit dissapointing.

Also, I didnt like Thor dodging/hammer blocking the bullets from the jet in the Hulk fight and the shots from The Chitauri in the final battle, made Thor look a bit weak on the movie I thought.

As a Hulk fan, also thought the Chitauri being able to pin him down with gun-fire was a bit silly considering what Hulk survived in the movie.

This.

I think it's safe to say that Thor and Hawkeye were the two avengers that were somewhat shortchanged in this film in their own ways.

One thing to note; Cap is ridiculously skilled he can take down both Thor and Iron Man facing them one on one, sometimes even Hulk

Cap can't take down Thor and he never has, all he did was protect himself with his shield.

Oh and he can't take down the Hulk either, peak human strength and skills can't get you that far my man.

No it made him look like an actual warrior, why would he just stand there?

He's not the Hulk, Thor is a warrior and don't stand there and go "oh look how tough I am". Thor's used to fighting beings that wield weapons capable of harming him, so avoiding attacks is part of his reflexes by now.

I'm sure those bullets wouldn't have seriously harmed him since Asgardians are bulletproof and he shrugged of IM's lasers.

Last edited:
Upon some repeated viewings, the opening scene where Loki teleports into Shield facility has some big shortcomings, you can see Loki attacking Shield security personnel, but Hawkeye (before getting corrupted) is there, so is Nick Fury but they take their own sweet time before attacking Loki, even after he has taken down the security guards. Fury even tries to talk to him, I mean what the #*!!

Then we see Hawkeye (also, Dr. Selvig in a scene afterwards) conveniently standing really close to Loki so that Loki can touch him with his staff to mind control him ! :oldrazz:

Last edited:
Cap can't take down Thor and he never has, all he did was protect himself with his shield.

Oh and he can't take down the Hulk either, peak human strength and skills can't get you that far my man.

He's not the Hulk, Thor is a warrior and don't stand there and go "oh look how tough I am". Thor's used to fighting beings that wield weapons capable of harming him, so avoiding attacks is part of his reflexes by now.

I'm sure those bullets wouldn't have seriously harmed him since Asgardians are bulletproof and he shrugged of IM's lasers.
If Asgardians are bullet-proof,why did Loki's dagger pierce him?I've been wondering that,as I admit I'm not as familier with Thor as the other characters.

Why even bother to block them or dive out of the way when they wont harm him though? Why waste the energy?

Thor clearly saw Cap take a gun shot from the alien weapons as well and then blocks the same shots with Mjolnir, if Cap can take a shot and get up it wouldnt even register if it hit Thor?

Just thought that was a bit stupid personally.

Upon some repeated viewings, the opening scene where Loki teleports into Shield facility has some big shortcomings, you can see Loki attacking Shield security personnel, but Hawkeye (before getting corrupted) is there, so is Nick Fury but they take their own sweet time before attacking Loki, even after he has taken down the security guards. Fury even tries to talk to him, I mean what the #*!!

You're right, they could've just taken him out quickly and then the movie would have been over. Lots of money could've been saved.:oldrazz:

But seriously, in real time Loki shot at them with the spear and the blast threw them back. As Fury and Hawkeye were being thrown back Loki was in the air taking out one SHIELD agent then throwing knives at two others. All the while Fury and Hawkeye are down having a hard time getting up(it was a big blast) Then I believe from recollection that Hawkeye is kind of stumbling to get up and Loki hurries to him. Then Fury(which didn't recover and get up as quickly as Hawkeye gets up and being the selfish guy he is :hehe: goes for the Cube and sees Hawkeye being turned into a flying monkey and says "what the $%!". Then Selvig was helping a down agent(not going to get the Cube mind you, and then the fanboy and little girl in him stands up and says "brother of Thor" all giddy and in awe).:oldrazz: I think Loki realized who he was at that point or rather he knew who he was but didn't know that Selvig would be there when he came through the portal per se. And then Loki corrupts Selvig(which we can assume he intended to do do from the onset).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"