The Avengers What people DIDN'T like from The Avenger ........Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cap's costume needed the star on the back as it didn't look right during scenes where you saw him with his cowl from the back. I think the main problem with cap's costume is the neck area - I dont like the divide in the comic and I didn't like it on the movie costume. The only time I noticed the helmet itself looking bad is when Cap was looking up at the aliens from the group shot but otherwise it's servicable. It's just that damn neck area....

The most iconic shot of Cap in the film is when he catches the shield right after throwing it at Thor and Iron Man to stop the fight. He is standing on a tree or a log and looked pretty good. Since we know Whedon is a fanboy, I got the impression that he tried to change the costumes so they resembled their comicbook counterparts as much as possible. That's why I think Thor spends most of the movie without the armour on his arms - without them it almost looked like Thor's original costume. All that was missing was the helmet. Cap's costume in this film was definitely closer to the comics for better or worse.

But I'll conceed he screwed up with hawkeye, he just needed his mask god damn it!!

I also think Coulson's death being the catalyst for the Avengers working together was weak. I still don't understand why it affected Stark so much as nothing in any film ever gave an indication that Coulson meant anything to him.

Oh yeah, I wasn't crazy about Cap's costume, either. Preferred the TFA one.

Then the direct response was him staring at the ceiling defeated and letting a sigh of defeat, which I didn't mind. That last scene (you got which one I meant, right? Where Hawkeye is aiming at him and the others are beside him, staring), was like a belated response to Tony's drink offer. But it was SO bad.

didn't mind it so much, I have to be honest.

Some complaints -

* Too much time spent on repairing Shield helicarrier.

* Thor said that they thought that Loki was dead, so what made him come to Earth ?

* Loki made a deal with Chituri's leader (was that supposed to be Thanos ?) it was so dark in 3D that I could not see who was that.

* The whole reason behind that invasion of Earth was to get Tessaract cube (cosmic cube) and rule the Earth, Loki already had the cube with him in the first act of movie, so why he needed an army when he had the most powerful and limitless source of power with him ?

* The Chitauri army are useless, even Earth's regular Armed forces could have defeated them, speaking of which where were the army ?

* The fighter Jets could have fired an nuclear missile right into the portal (worm hole), it could have been as simple.

* Nick Fury looked depressed for far too long over agents Coulson's death, he should have considered that war was going on.

* Captain America, Hawkeye, Black Widow looked outmatched by the level of threat of alien invasion, only Hulk, Thor and Iron man were really doing the job of defeating the aliens. (though they did fight back and helped Avengers.)

* Loki is just talking to Hulk before Hulk smashes him, really ? Loki should have used his staff to attack Hulk.

Last edited:
Going to watch it again today. Maybe I'm reeling from it, but personally The Avengers is the best comic movie made so far.

Number of reasons being it's a proper superhero movie and doesn't hide the fact.

It offered a bucket load of laughs, even in the most dire circumstances and most importantly didn't flinch from providing an action packed third act.

Things I didn't like, but I'll accept were :-

- Loki not being too much of a threat. Yes he brought an alien invasion with him, but besides killing Coulson, the man himself didn't provide much of an obstacle for any of the guys. Felt like a middle man. Maybe when they fight T***** next time things will be more personal and up close.
- The Chitauri shouldn't have been named. Giving them a name from lore made me expect more, when I shouldn't have. I'd have liked to have been guessing as to why they sucked so much until going 'Oh ****...that's why' at the mid-creds sequence.
- Yes the Phantom Menace scene was a bug bear, but it was effective for what it was. Though instead of a Nuke I'd have preferred them all grouping in to close the portal instead of just a Nuke doing the job. Felt a bit too Independence Day / Phantom Menace. What annoys me more is that was the third act climax for a script I'm working on. Thanks for ruining that, Joss.
- Needed some more flying Thor. If Iron Man can fly that much, so can the Son of Odin.
- More Maria Hill. Considering how down right gorgeous Cobie Smoulders looked in the film, I wanted more.
- Talking about the Chitauri, what the **** was up with Emperor Palpatine's double? I'd have preferred to see Red Skull having an awesome cameo and being Loki's general in command. Turn up at the third act to offer Cap some real punching material. THAT would have been immense.

That's about it really. 9/10. I'm a DC man myself normally, but TDKR's gonna have to do a bad place of a job to top this. More so I can't see a Justice League film ever topping this unless something REAL special happens.

Just the things I disagree with.

Some complaints -

* Thor said that they thought that Loki was dead, so what made him come to Earth ?

When Loki appeared, they saw him. Don't forget, Heimdall sees everything.

* Loki made a deal with Chituri's leader (was that supposed to be Thanos ?) it was so dark in 3D that I could not see who was that.

Not Thanos, just the Chitauri leader. That's a 3D problem, though, not a movie one, don't you think?

* The whole reason behind that invasion of Earth was to get Tessaract cube (cosmic cube) and rule the Earth, Loki already had the cube with him in the first act of movie, so why he needed an army when he had the most powerful and limitless source of power with him ?

No, Loki would hand the Chitauri the Tesseract and in return they had given him the means to rule earth (aka the staff).

* The Chitauri army are useless, even Earth's regular Armed forces could have defeated them, speaking of which where were the army ?

The army was going to come in 1 hour, 2 cops said it. They're not useless, though, and they were many in numbers. And they kept coming and coming. Only the Avengers could handle them, regular humans were nowhere to be seen.

* Captain America, Hawkeye, Black Widow looked outmatched by the level of threat of alien invasion, only Hulk, Thor and Iron man were really doing the job of defeating the aliens. (though they did fight back and helped Avengers.)

Well yeah, in terms of brawling, but like you said, they played their part.

* Captain America, Hawkeye, Black Widow looked outmatched by the level of threat of alien invasion, only Hulk, Thor and Iron man were really doing the job of defeating the aliens. (though they did fight back and helped Avengers.

That actually makes sense since they're powerless/armorless humans for the most part, I'm glad they aren't overpowered just so they can look "cooler".

One more minor nitpick,

* Black Widow easily defeats Hawkeye in hand to hand combat, that was unbelievable.

Though overall, it is the most enjoyable Marvel movie so far, and yes it feels like a comic book come to life. Despite some flaws, Whedon has done an amazing job.

I hope that WB /DC improves after this.

IMHO Pacing:

The 2nd act "character development" was really clumsy. Those edited conversations all crammed together, where everyone from Black Widow to Thor were spelling out their motivations to the audience quickly to get it out of the way before the 3rd act fight scene.

I think they should've lengthened the 2nd act or just dropped the Hawkeye /BW backstory to the DVD. Yes they were cool characters, but hearing the motivations for 6 characters at once was a bit much.

Also they got over their "low point" really quickly. The gap between the 2 battles was way too short.

When did Thanos appear ? I missed the post credits scene, what was in that scene ?

IMHO Pacing:

The 2nd act "character development" was really clumsy. Those edited conversations all crammed together, where everyone from Black Widow to Thor were spelling out their motivations to the audience quickly to get it out of the way before the 3rd act fight scene.

I think they should've lengthened the 2nd act or just dropped the Hawkeye /BW backstory to the DVD. Yes they were cool characters, but hearing the motivations for 6 characters at once was a bit much.

Also they got over their "low point" really quickly. The gap between the 2 battles was way too short.

the pacing of the 2nd act drags a little but you need it build relationships otherwise when the 3rd act kicks in you wont care whether the heroes live or die and thus the action is boring. it's MAJOR problem (people you don't care about) in all 3 transformers movies and the star wars prequels.

-Loki trying to stand up and seeing the Avengers staring at him. His response being "If it's all the same to you, I'd like that drink now". Terrible choice for last words and last impression of a character they otherwise set up as ruthless, deceitful and a mass murderer. It almost seemed like an effort to make him sympathetic at the last minute. didn't tarnish his personality or presence of the entire film, but I'm amazed Whedon went for it.

I agree. It felt totally OOC.

It felt like the kind of thing he'd say to make it SEEM like he was giving up, and then he'd pull a 180 and try to escape.

Because it was a sort of 'Oh well I guess you were right, I can't beat you' line, which just isn't Loki at all, unless he's being devious.

Some complaints -

Yeah agree with this. Not sure why Caps wonderful plan was to send out the heavy hitters to herd the aliens towards the 3 weakest team members!!!!

Bur seriously Cap didn't seem to do much compared to the others. Loki kicked his butt and he needed IM to save him. Also IM single handedly repairing the falling Helicarrier while Cap struggles to take down one guy with a machine-gun!!! I know Whedon tried to treat him respectfully but compared to what Thor and the Hulk were doing, he still came across as a bit like the Aquaman of the Avengers. :)

Last edited:
I also think Coulson's death being the catalyst for the Avengers working together was weak. I still don't understand why it affected Stark so much as nothing in any film ever gave an indication that Coulson meant anything to him.
You mean, like the time in IM2 when Tony and Coulson talked about Coulsons reassignment or even the lines about Tony giving Coulson his Private Jet so that Coulson can visit his cellist?

why would you like a movie.. then look for things to dislike? sounds kinda stupid

You mean, like the time in IM2 when Tony and Coulson talked about Coulsons reassignment or even the lines about Tony giving Coulson his Private Jet so that Coulson can visit his cellist?

Well, in IM2 they had minimum lines of dialogue, all of them neutral to kinda hostile.

In Avengers there was that private jet line which felt extremely tacked on in order to make Tony look like Coulson means something to him, when in the beginning with Pepper it's clear he's slightly annoyed by the agent's presence.

I'd argue Coulson meant more to Cap at that point than to Tony, and I'm not even sure about that.

why would you like a movie.. then look for things to dislike? sounds kinda stupid

Because you can like a movie despite its flaws. And this thread is dedicated to this movie's flaws. Most of them mentioned here are things that came to our minds while seeing the movie, we didn't look for the flaws. They just stood out.

Well, in IM2 they had minimum lines of dialogue, all of them neutral to kinda hostile.

In Avengers there was that private jet line which felt extremely tacked on in order to make Tony look like Coulson means something to him, when in the beginning with Pepper it's clear he's slightly annoyed by the agent's presence.

I'd argue Coulson meant more to Cap at that point than to Tony, and I'm not even sure about that.
Funny. I never saw those lines as hostile, more tongue-in-cheekm just the way Tony talked to Stane or Rhodey in part one or at least not that different....

Funny. I never saw those lines as hostile, more tongue-in-cheekm just the way Tony talked to Stane or Rhodey in part one or at least not that different....

Well, not, y' know, hostile, and Tony was definitely saying them jokingly (aka typical Trolly Stark), but it was apparent to me he didn't give a crap about Coulson or his mission. Nothing like Rhodey at all, imo.

i've actually got a question...
the waitress the camera lingered on a few times during the final showdown in the city, was she significant? was she suppose to be in some more of the Cap scenes does any one think??? as we know some of his stuff got cut, because i noticed they gave her quite a few glimpses, and even a couple lines during the end with the reactions along with the Stan lee cameo.

the waitress the camera lingered on a few times during the final showdown in the city, was she significant? was she suppose to be in some more of the Cap scenes does any one think??? as we know some of his stuff got cut, because i noticed they gave her quite a few glimpses, and even a couple lines during the end with the reactions along with the Stan lee cameo.
I thought the same, maybe she is an easter egg I don't get or a set up for Cap 2 or and this is the best guess I have, she just ressembles the normal civilian person and their reactions to the invasion and the Avengers.

Cap is easily my favourite character, so for me BY FAR the thing I liked least was his costume, helmet especially. It really looked like he got it in a fancy dress shop. Which is too bad because Chris Evans did another excellently stoic job... but I only really got into his performance when there was no helmet.

Beyond that I thought Loki didn't do a lot in act 3. In a way it reminded me of TDK, where Joker unleashed Two Face and then he was basically done plot-wise, and here Loki unleashes the alien army and after that he's not doing a lot.

There were 2 or 3 times where Tony Stark's constant jokiness and snideness got irritating.

Oh and my legs started going numb after 2 hours 20 mins. :p

But really these are tiny gripes in a hugely fun movie that has so many great moments I lost count.

I think she was in a deleted scene, where Cap goes to have a cup of coffee and she flirts with him? I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"