What 'People' do you suborinate?

8Ball2/JanG5

Civilian
Reaction score
It seems like a person can't feel worthwhile in life unless one feels they are better than others. Nobody wants to be the lowest rung.

So who do you subordinate? Gay? The lesser educated? The poor? Foreigners? People who don't share your world view?

My roommates, day in and day out, attack homosexuals in their conversations. Though they have gay friends and vow to never talk like this around them. This pisses me off to no end, and I can't seem to get over it no matter how hard I try. By the end of the day, I know it's just something that makes them feel better about their selves and their manhood.

I suppose I subordinate some of the lower class. I suppose I also find myself thinking i'm higher than people with narrow viewpoints. The mind is a drab, stupid thing. Mine is anyway, one can't be sure if i'm not overall stupid or narrow minded myself.

To whom do you do injustice to?

Apparently people aren't anxious to admit how elitest, sexist, racist, homophobic and bigotted they are.

good topic but i can't think of an answer just now.

My problem is that compiling the list would be too daunting a task.

you could just say everyone but yourself.

Of course, but don't you hate the fact that it seems NO MAN can get around that?

I find myself falling into idle philosophy more and more lately. Without having much of a background on that, what I know tells me idle philosophy is the worst kind. The kind that reflects on the world, but has no purpose of changing it. The fact that everything is meaningless. In order to be a 'man' in society, you have to take sides. But all this idle philosophy deconstructs the notion of 'sides'. I accept the role of a man in society, begrudgingly, and suddenly find myself hating myself more than I used to. That and as far as a learner/ left/right brain type bull**** goes, I don't have a way with words and literature, which ****es me off to no end.

I feel like the complete embodiment of a Michaelangelo Antonioni movie.

I feel so apprehensive about filling the role of "artist" as well. And I feel apprehensive about filling the role of those artists who mock the notions of being an artist. What more is there after that, but death?

Wilhelm-Scream said:
No way. There are so many types of people I respect!

Why do you respect certain kinds of people. The types of people I like being around, I still have a hard time respecting since I always just see them as "people" doing what is neccessary for them to do in life, being who they are. :(

That's how I see myself too. :(

Is this why Bridget Bardot like animals more than people? :confused:

8Ball2/JanG5 said:
I feel so apprehensive about filling the role of "artist" as well. And I feel apprehensive about filling the role of those artists who mock the notions of being an artist. What more is there after that, but death?
Welcome to neurotic, hyper-critical self-analysis. Yes, you will only find true peace when you're dead. Or drunk.

While I don't have any hangups around race or sexuality, very religious people tend to irritate the hell out of me and I'll admit that my opinion of them can sometimes falter just based on how fanatical they are about their religion. Otherwise, the only other group of people that I will view as beneath me are stupid people, as defined solely by my own discretion and ever-changing definitions. :)

jag

Is the thread title grammatically correct?

What do you do to circumvent that? Have you really lived such a life that you feel there is purpose to anything? Or is that just me comparing myself to some invisible diety or force that is larger than life which may not even exist?

8Ball2/JanG5 said:
Of course, but don't you hate the fact that it seems NO MAN can get around that?

I find myself falling into idle philosophy more and more lately. Without having much of a background on that, what I know tells me idle philosophy is the worst kind. The kind that reflects on the world, but has no purpose of changing it. The fact that everything is meaningless. In order to be a 'man' in society, you have to take sides. But all this idle philosophy deconstructs the notion of 'sides'. I accept the role of a man in society, begrudgingly, and suddenly find myself hating myself more than I used to. That and as far as a learner/ left/right brain type bull**** goes, I don't have a way with words and literature, which ****es me off to no end.

I feel like the complete embodiment of a Michaelangelo Antonioni movie.

made sense to me. i challenge that with the thought that it can be acceptable that things have no meaning.

Erzengel said:
Is the thread title grammatically correct?

I was wondering the same thing myself, but I haven't been gifted with abilities in the literate/grammatical area, despite the fact that i'm learning a foreign language. I have to take things literally, which is why learning the language may be coming easier to me than thinking about one I already know.

Danalys said:
made sense to me. i challenge that with the thought that it can be acceptable that things have no meaning.

Wow, I never thought of that. You're right, my whole problem may be that I can't accept the fact that nothing has meaning. I look outside of myself and need everything to have meaning according to the flow of the universe or some divine force, when really the only meanings probably have to be something I derive from my life.

And @ Wilhelm, yes, i'm usually only at peace when i'm drunk. :(

Most meaning is highly personal and subjective, to be honest.

jag

Am I too impressionable? I find myself hearing some ideas (like in a class I had a year ago) and just going off the deep end. It's like I don't even question it, I just go with ideas so easily.

As far as the t.v. thread goes, maybe I don't watch it because i'm protecting myself. :(

jaguarr said:
Otherwise, the only other group of people that I will view as beneath me are stupid people, as defined solely by my own discretion and ever-changing definitions. :)

jag
That's one thing that's cool about my sense of superiority though. I acknowledge that my level of erudition is not the watermark for anyone else, but we are all trapped in our own respective consciousnesses, so I have almost no respect for people that are more stupid than I am, no respect for people that are significantly less educated than I am, however I admire people that are smarter than/more educated than me and gladly admit that, in that arena, they are better than me...instead of getting all jealous-ass, or trying to delude myself into thinking that I'm their equal.
I don't see it as threatening. I think they're cool, but I can still enjoy being who I am.

And with artists, you'll hear about some of them having "an attitude", being arrogant. Fine with me, if they've earned it.

If Paul McCartney or Jimmy Page were "arrogant", or were to slight me during a meeting, I'd be like "WICKED.YEAH! YOU ROCK!:up:"

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"