What should the tone of MOS be?

Discussion in 'Upcoming Superman Solo Movie' started by ManWithNoName18, Sep 29, 2016.

1. ManWithNoName18 Registered

Something along the lines of MOS? The MCU? BVS? The Donner films?

Somewhere in between?

2. BlueLanternKal Super-Lex

Superman: The Animated Series and Max Fleischer's Superman. Throw some MoS in there obviously.

3. FeedOnATreeFrog (A Metal Gear reference)

Something like Tomasi's current Superman run is what I want, tonally, visually, etc.

4. MydnightPhoenix Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

5. All-Father King of Asgard

Correct. It has aspects of the silver age, of the 90s, but it's modern and fresh!

6. Patchwork Man Registered

Definitely not MCU, nor pre-Donner, nor faux-Donner (Singer).

7. ManWithNoName18 Registered

One thing I expect to change is the public's stance on Superman.In BVS there was a lot of doubt by everyone. And a lot of questioning about the ethics of Superman saving people.

All the talking heads on TV ended up really bummin me as an audience member out, as well as Superman in the movie.

However by the conclusion of BVS we see that most people came to really respect him once he sacrificed himself

8. Tg11 Registered

I would rather they go with a dark tone but not too dark but also have that comedic timing but only in some spots but it would be a lighter tone but more action definitely but also having that sci-fi fantasy feel to it but making it dark

9. Tra-El Registered

The tone in Man of Steel was fine and wasn't the problem. Someone mentioned the Fleischer Cartoons. That's exactly what Snyder's blue filters look like, so that's not a problem there.

The Smallville fight in Man of Steel looked amazing and totally felt like a Superman movie. Honestly, I think the score is going to have to be tinkered with to be more bombastic and heroic. Man of Steel reminds me of a soldier-like march to greatness and should be used, but it needs more emotion and louder moments in the pitch and beat.

In a nutshell, I say more Man of Steel Smallville-fight (sunny; blue skies) in tone and less BvS rainy rooftop. Mix that in with better; linear pacing and a tinkering of the MoS score and I think that would make a huge difference in what the audience feels.

Note: No MCU or Donnerverse vibes, please.

#9 Tra-El, Oct 17, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  10. All-Father King of Asgard

Agreed on both counts. :up:

11. MydnightPhoenix Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Just to be evil if we were forced to accept one would you rather Donner vibe or MCU vibe?

12. Luke234 Registered

I don't see a ton of difference. I wouldn't watch either. I'd bail.

13. Luke234 Registered

I think MOS too but he should be a happier dude. He's got what he's always wanted. To be accepted. I think it was the plan from the beginning that he had to go thru a ton of pain first.

14. STARMAN Rebel With A Cause

A balanced tone shouldn't be too much to ask for.

15. NotNickFury Registered

It really shouldn't. Even if some don't like the show, and I have my fair share of criticisms for it as well, but Supergirl has that serious, but hopeful tone that many would want from a cinematic Superman.

16. BlueLanternKal Super-Lex

Yeah, balanced approach for sure. If Superman represents ultimate good his villains need to represent ultimate evil. Obviously Supes/Kal is a character and shouldn't be strictly bound by this, but this concept works for him.

The same way Batman villains represent/reflect different facets of Batman's pysche.

17. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

This exactly.

18. Sorath Registered

I would go with Superman of Tomorrow or Superman Birthright maybe even Superman Grounded. I think the main thing is getting Superman personality right. He shouldn't be a dark and depressing character. Superman suppose to be a Symbol of hope. He show the world a better way. He's the hero that all heroes aspire to be.

However I think it's to late for that. I think Justice League will come out and people will be disappointed and from their the DCMU will tank and it will be years before WB takes another stab at it. However maybe I will be wrong. I hope I am. I hope they will fix it and the next movies will be awesome.

19. STARMAN Rebel With A Cause

I would use the MOS tone as a starting point and expand from there. Same thing goes with the music score.

20. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Eh... The writing on the CW shows undermines any of those programs' serious elements. And the "adorkable" stuff is WAY in your face. I can't forgive those shows their glaring ineptitude at handling their tone and content.

21. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

Is that actually a term? I haven't heard it before! :funny:

22. OutOfBoose #ReleaseTheAyerCut

MoS had a fitting tone. What it didn't have - interesting story and characters.

So for me it's either MoS or go some kind of utopia.

23. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

I think they may have even used it in the early season one episodes believe it or not. Cat Grant uses it. Cat in season one was used as a cudgel against the show's detractors often in one form or another.

24. THE WOLF Registered

The same as the Raimi Spider-man trilogy

25. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

Thanks! :up: