Sequels What sort of story should the sequel be?

Hypestyle

Superhero
Reaction score
Since some 20+ years have passed since the events of the first in-canon movie of Captain Marvel, what should this sequel story be about? Presumably, the sequel will take place in modern times.

What I'd personally like to see is an adaptation of the Higher, Further, Faster, More arc, but honestly I'd be fine with anything as long as it's an adaptation of a story that was specifically written for Carol Danvers.

I reckon pretty much set it all in space. The first one should set up earth etc so the sequel should be about the kree and maybe the shi’ar too.

So space epic is what I’m saying

I'm all for an adaptation of Kurt Busiek's Live Kree or Die crossover from his Avengers run with Carol facing down Galen-Kor and the Lunatic Legion who have come to Earth to recapture Carol. (I also hope that Shatterax makes it in since he's my favorite Kree villain and that we see a cloned Ronan who will bring in the genetic engineering angle to the Kree.)

That or Brian Reed's War of the Marvels story. Something with Moonstone declaring herself to be Captain Marvel in Carol's absence except she's also evil and Carol needs to defeat her to win her name back.

Those are the two which make the most narrative sense from what's been set up. I also feel like we need to see Monica become Spectrum and meet Mar-Vell's children Photon and Martyr. The screenplay would likely be packed but Kamala Kahn would also be nice to see if they can fit her in. Kamala would hopefully also get a spin-off on Disney+, Spectrum would join the Avengers, Martyr would join the Guardians and Photon would join the Thunderbolts.

I reckon just more cats. Not sure how it would work just have more cats somehow

I'm torn if it should be another prequel. I don't want them muddling up continuity even more, but I feel like there are things unresolved with the SI and Ronan. If they keep it entirely in space, it would screw up the Avengers continuity less, but at the same time, the best scenes were the ones with Monica and Fury.

Granted things could change but for now, I feel pretty confident that the next one is a prequel again.

Reasons:
- A lot could've happened in the 24 years
- How CM ended (
Yon-Rogg alive, Ronan's "coming back for the woman" comment
)
- The implication that Fury and Carol have been in contact (Endgame scene description spoiler -
she knows about the Avengers on earth
) and yet she wasn't around during the invasion suggests that something big was going on with her too - maybe she was captured? maybe she's fighting another war somewhere?
- Opportunity to bring back the main cast like Maria. Great audience reception to
Talos and since him and his family are still alive - they could bring him back

Oh he shouldn’t do that, he might go blind

On one hand, I'd like to see the fall of the Kree Empire which leads us to where they are at the beginning of Guardians. Include Nova in the sequel but I would also like some new post Endgame material as well.

I think I'll be surprised if doesn't turn out to be a prequel again. Which I would be fine with.

I think it'll be a prequel. As stated above, there are too many dangling plots to let hang for over twenty years, plus Ronin is dead now in continuity and I think that line about getting 'the weapon' is a direct tie in to the next CM movie.

Pretty sure it'll have Ronin tracking her down, Yon-Rogg being in there maybe try and get her back on the Kree's side, and a confrontation with the SI in order to save Talos and his Skrulls that will fundamentally change the Kree. That will probably be what sends Ronin off into the character he will be when we get to the first GotG, and who knows they can have him meeting Thanos by the end of it.

I'm leaning towards it being another prequel and mostly in space. They set Ronan up to come back and even left things open with Yon-Rogg a bit. I don't mind it, but I'd hope a third film would be present day

If I were planning this trilogy, I'd have Part 2 be a direct sequel to this one (that is, still a prequel to the current MCU) - and make that one an all-out galaxy-spanning epic with Carol getting a hard lesson in intergalactic geopolitics. Involve multiple galactic empires - the Kree, the Nova Empire, the Shi'ar - in her quest to help the Skrulls find a viable home. You could even somewhat make it a version of the Higher, Further, Faster, More arc, with a large faction of Skrulls finding refuge on a planet that mines a valuable resource coveted by the powerful empires of the galaxy, with a shaky agreement with the current owners of the planet (the Shi'ar) that they can make the planet their home as long as they agree to work the mine. And of course, like in that arc, the mine has essentially made it a poison planet, and the Skrulls are being exploited. Carol would essentially lead a revolution, but learn in the process that there are no easy solutions. The Shi'ar and the Kree would be the villains here (primarily Deathbird on the Shi'ar side and Sentry/Yon-Rogg/Ronan on the Kree side), and it would end with Carol turning to the Nova Empire for help, fighting back the Shi'ar (who just decide that planet's not worth it), taking her fight to and destroying the Supreme Intelligence, the Kree then agreeing to give up their quest to destroy the Skrulls, Ronan disavowing the Kree Empire, dissension among the Skrull ranks where some would rather go off to worlds unknown than to continue to fight, and the stirrings of a Kree/Nova war (which we know would be resolved by the beginning of GotG), with Carol vowing to aide the Nova Corps in their battles to come. In this story, Carol could find an unlikely ally in Phyla-Vell, the genetic progeny of the woman she once looked up to as a mother-figure, and we could also get more of Carol's backstory with Mar-Vell (and her own family) through flashbacks as she and Phyla-Vell find common ground.

Part 3 would be a smaller, more personal story set in present day, bringing Carol back to Earth for a Secret Invasion-esque storyline, in which she learns one of those Skrull factions that broke away years ago ended up coming to Earth and infiltrated it, and she now has to fight against some of the very people she vowed to help in her first film (maybe Talos' daughter was Veranke and became their leader?). This one would include an adult Monica, who gets her Photon powers via a Skrull device, and Moonstone, a human psychiatrist who figures out the invasion through one of her patients and allies herself with the Skrulls after agreeing to wield the Moonstone powers and pose as Captain Marvel to discredit her on Earth. Much like Civil War, this closing installment would also include some Earthbound Avengers characters.

Agree It has to be a Prequel.

My Story Idea is as follows,

It picks up 10 years after the first one.

Carol is Leading a revolution against the Kree Empire. Her Resistance is made up of All Alien Races that have been persecuted by the Kree(Not just Skrulls)

The Kree Empire has abducted Humans (Monica being one of them) and through experimentation succeeded in granting them powers similar to Carol’s. With these Superhumans under their control, the Kree begins to win the war.

The Noble House of Vell, an exiled Kree Clan may be the Resistance’s only hope. This was the Clan that was formerly led by the Kree called Wendy Larson.

Carol’s must forge an alliance with the House of Vell. She must take up the title of Mar-Vell, Leader of the House of Vell.

Movie will obviously end with the Resistance winning and the Supreme Intelligence destroyed.

But victory is not with heavy costs. During the war, some of the Resistance Leaders betrayed the Skrulls in a desperate bid to survive and Carol is too late to stop it. Though she brings the traitors to justice, The Skrulls are believed to have been destroyed. Movie will end with Carol and the Resistance in control of the Kree Empire (Explains why she’s been so busy)

Captain Marvel 3 will be set in present day and will reveal that the Skrulls did survive. They have become more militaristic and seek vengeance on the Resistance and the entire universe. Veranke, Talos Daughter is their Leader. Movie is Secret Invasion

If I were planning this trilogy, I'd have Part 2 be a direct sequel to this one (that is, still a prequel to the current MCU) - and make that one an all-out galaxy-spanning epic with Carol getting a hard lesson in intergalactic geopolitics. Involve multiple galactic empires - the Kree, the Nova Empire, the Shi'ar - in her quest to help the Skrulls find a viable home. You could even somewhat make it a version of the Higher, Further, Faster, More arc, with a large faction of Skrulls finding refuge on a planet that mines a valuable resource coveted by the powerful empires of the galaxy, with a shaky agreement with the current owners of the planet (the Shi'ar) that they can make the planet their home as long as they agree to work the mine. And of course, like in that arc, the mine has essentially made it a poison planet, and the Skrulls are being exploited. Carol would essentially lead a revolution, but learn in the process that there are no easy solutions. The Shi'ar and the Kree would be the villains here (primarily Deathbird on the Shi'ar side and Sentry/Yon-Rogg/Ronan on the Kree side), and it would end with Carol turning to the Nova Empire for help, fighting back the Shi'ar (who just decide that planet's not worth it), taking her fight to and destroying the Supreme Intelligence, the Kree then agreeing to give up their quest to destroy the Skrulls, Ronan disavowing the Kree Empire, dissension among the Skrull ranks where some would rather go off to worlds unknown that to continue to fight, and the stirrings of a Kree/Nova war (which we know would be resolved by the beginning of GotG), with Carol vowing to aide the Nova Corps in their battles to come. In this story, Carol could find an unlikely ally in Phyla-Vell, the genetic progeny of the woman she once looked up to as a mother-figure, and we could also get more of Carol's backstory with Mar-Vell (and her own family) through flashbacks as she and Phyla-Vell find common ground.

Part 3 would be a smaller, more personal story set in present day, bringing Carol back to Earth for a Secret Invasion-esque storyline, in which she learns one of those Skrull factions that broke away years ago ended up coming to Earth and infiltrated it, and she now has to fight against some of the very people she vowed to help in her first film (maybe Talos' daughter was Veranke and became their leader?). This one would include an adult Monica, who gets her Photon powers via a Skrull device, and Moonstone, a human psychiatrist who figures out the invasion through one of her patients and allies herself with the Skrulls after agreeing to wield the Moonstone powers and pose as Captain Marvel to discredit her on Earth. Much like Civil War, this closing installment would also include some Earthbound Avengers characters.

This all sounds great... And the MCU wouldn't touch anything even approaching something like it.

If I were planning this trilogy, I'd have Part 2 be a direct sequel to this one (that is, still a prequel to the current MCU) - and make that one an all-out galaxy-spanning epic with Carol getting a hard lesson in intergalactic geopolitics. Involve multiple galactic empires - the Kree, the Nova Empire, the Shi'ar - in her quest to help the Skrulls find a viable home. You could even somewhat make it a version of the Higher, Further, Faster, More arc, with a large faction of Skrulls finding refuge on a planet that mines a valuable resource coveted by the powerful empires of the galaxy, with a shaky agreement with the current owners of the planet (the Shi'ar) that they can make the planet their home as long as they agree to work the mine. And of course, like in that arc, the mine has essentially made it a poison planet, and the Skrulls are being exploited. Carol would essentially lead a revolution, but learn in the process that there are no easy solutions. The Shi'ar and the Kree would be the villains here (primarily Deathbird on the Shi'ar side and Sentry/Yon-Rogg/Ronan on the Kree side), and it would end with Carol turning to the Nova Empire for help, fighting back the Shi'ar (who just decide that planet's not worth it), taking her fight to and destroying the Supreme Intelligence, the Kree then agreeing to give up their quest to destroy the Skrulls, Ronan disavowing the Kree Empire, dissension among the Skrull ranks where some would rather go off to worlds unknown than to continue to fight, and the stirrings of a Kree/Nova war (which we know would be resolved by the beginning of GotG), with Carol vowing to aide the Nova Corps in their battles to come. In this story, Carol could find an unlikely ally in Phyla-Vell, the genetic progeny of the woman she once looked up to as a mother-figure, and we could also get more of Carol's backstory with Mar-Vell (and her own family) through flashbacks as she and Phyla-Vell find common ground.

200.gif

Last edited:
If I had to choose, I would lean more into a prequel.

I still haven't given up in the Inhumans. I think they could make a great addition to Carol's back story.

Carol can team up with the Inhumans against Ronan and the accusers. Inhumans and Carol both have a shared enemy in the Kree. There's a story there somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"