What Was the Last Movie You Watched?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zz32DKg.jpg

Instant Family

I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. It's a drama/comedy about adoption through the lens from both the parents and the kids. I thought they did a pretty good job on tackling a lot of issues regarding adoption and the stereotypes you often see being talk about especially about white people adopting from another race. The comedy for the most part work especially whenever they have the adopted boy do his Three Stooges act. I thought Mark Wahlberg and Rose Byrne did a pretty good job, but Isabela Moner was probably the most interesting character in the movie. The movie isn't perfect, the first 20 minutes before they got the kids was pretty dull and not really well directed. Everything after that was surprisingly heartwarming and funny.
7.5/10

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

i1G4sQb.jpg

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

This has a severe case of prequelitis. Much like the Star Wars prequels and the last two Hobbit movies... this movie manages to force in too many connective tissue and coincidences to have this Harry Potter world feel more small and insignificant. It's also got too many subplots going on that makes this movie so uneven and unfocused. The name of the movie is Fantastic Beasts and yet they're probably the 3rd if not 4th thing that's important to the movie. It's almost as if they regretted making the first movie and gave fans what they really want...which is a lesser Harry Potter movie. It's no surprise I'm not much of a Harry Potter fan and while I didn't really hate this movie, I didn't see anything here that really grabbed me. Eddie Redmayne is still the worst actor here, Katherine Waterston would have been interesting but they don't give her enough, Dan Fogler is probably my favorite character so far in this series and that's saying a lot, Jude Law was also great, Ezra Miller was pitiful, Zoe Kravitz seems pointless, and most importanly Johnny Depp is nothing but a watered down Voldemort. Also the action set pieces felt flat to me. Overall, this movie is nothing but moving chess pieces on the board that you see coming from a mile away.
5/10

Annihilation - another beautiful film. The setting and premise are very intriguing. I would love to visit this place (if I was guaranteed safety that is :cwink:)

Il mercenario / The Mercenary (1968)

Good to know, thinking of making it the last movie I see in theaters this year.
The opening sequence alone justifies seeing it in a theater. Excellent sound mixing.

Reactions: NDX
The Last Dragon.

Mandatory viewing for Arnold SchwarzeNovember every year. I love this movie, from the goofy characters to the soundtrack.

8P3pyAK.jpg

Can You Ever Forgive Me?

I enjoyed it a lot. The movie is essentially a drama comedy that's leans more on the drama. It doesn't surprise me but, Melissa McCarthy really shines through here taking on a serious role like this. The character isn't trying to be likeable, but you really do feel for what she's going through. The movie does a really fantastic job on setting a mood by showing NYC in the winter (in the early 90s) and the slow pace really works here. As for the story you do see where it's headed, because it doesn't take long to see her plan of plagiarism for profit to go in the sh***er. Overall, it's a relaxing read in movie form.
8.5/10

lzOUfJW.jpg

Widows

Honestly... this isn't the movie I expected from Steve McQueen especially how high it's rated on RT. This is like if Steve McQueen did a Michael Bay movie and Bay was in charge of the script. I will say the movie started off really great. The opening scene in here was incredible and they did a knockout job on giving you the setup. But after that... the movie just starts losing its sh** and becomes messy. It's split into two movies, one about criminality going into politics and the main plot of these widows trying to get the money that was owed. Both of them struggle as it goes along... it's flashy like a Bay movie, but there's nothing deep about it. One thing that is holding it together and is probably getting most of the movies praises are the performances. I thought Viola Davis and Elizabeth Debicki were great and had the most to chew on in terms of performances. I love Daniel Kaluuya and Brian Tyree Henry here, but they were playing cartoonish villains. Especially Daniel Kaluuya, who does some super villain sh** even Killmonger would step back and say "Hey man, you're taking this too far". As for story, If you're not the A or B plot of the movie, you kinda get the short end of the stick. A lot of the subplots doesn't really go anywhere. Despite the story not giving you enough about the plan, the heist itself I thought was pretty good, but it should have been longer and be the bulk of that last act. Also there's a twist in here that feels like it belongs on day time television. Overall, it's just not that good of a movie despite the little things I enjoyed in here. If you've seen Heat or season 3 of The Wire... or a telenovela, then you've seen it done better.
6.5/10

Fantastic Beasts : Crimes of Grindelwald

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"