What Was the Last Movie You Watched?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MV5BY2EyYWEwZmQtZWU0Yy00M2Y3LThiZTktOTQxZDUxY2ZjOTYwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

MV5BNjcyMDZlMTktYTIxOC00ZWFhLWJkYzgtNWNiYjAwYTFkNjIyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTIzOTk5ODM@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Justice League: Doom

Vandal Savage masterminds a plot to steal Batman's contingency plans for neutralising each member of the JL in the event of them going rogue. When those plans are then used to take down the League, it's up to Batman (who's having his own problems) and a visiting Cyborg to save the day. Some fan-favourite voice casting (Kevin Conroy as Batman, Tim Daly as Superman, Susan Eisenberg as Wonder Woman, Nathan Fillion as Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), Michael Rosenbaum as Flash (Barry Allen) and Carl Lumbly as J'onn J'onzz) helps make this an enjoyable watch. Character designs are nice, although some animation is a bit '1970s Saturday morning TV'. Some of the contingency plans are admittedly a bit questionable.... To give just one example,
During a fight Cheetah infects Wonder Woman with nanomachines that cause her to perceive everyone around her as Cheetah. Since Wonder Woman will never quit a fight, she will then attack each and every innocent person she encounters (seeing them as Cheetah) until she finally collapses from exhaustion, or even a stress-induced heart attack. So, the plan to stop Wonder Woman, should she become a threat to humanity, is to have her perceive every member of the public as one of her greatest and most dangerous foes, and severely injures or (given the level of force she's likely to use) kills them...
... but you just have to look past that :yay:. And some of the plans are actually pretty badass. There are some great character moments, a fair bit of humour, and some food for thought around ethics and trust (shame the runtime couldn't be longer to delve into this more deeply). Plus, Batman shows exactly why he is 'master of prep'! 8/10
Love this movie even if I liked Tower of Babel better

maxresdefault.jpg
STAY HUNGRY (1976)
Quality = ???????????
Joy = 3/10

This gif from one of my favorite anime series (that has a very valid point) can work just fine to express my experience with this film.

03bd3977a1cc829982bd3520332e9b34053ad942_hq.gif

Was this supposed to make sense? The dialogue is incoherent mess a lot of times, scene transition is rushed, relationship building is rushed and not satisfying at all...

But it's fun to hear Jeff Bridges call Arnold Schwarzenegger Batman in a movie that came out 21 years before we saw Arnie fought Batman and tell him to freeze well. Batman & Robin is a nonsensical movie too, but at least it's funny, and there is a better attempt at telling a story with that one.

And I just defended the quality of that one Batman movie @Milk Tray Guy can't stand. Sorry man, but this movie is just that bad.

Planet of the Apes* (2001)

Dr. Black and Mr. Hyde

The Beyond (1981) :down

Pretty disjointed and boring zombie movie. The third act saved it from two thumbs down as it finally had a semblance of drive and purpose to it.

Alfred Hitchcock's Dial M for Murder :up: (1954)

One of those movies that takes place in one room. The first half hour is the set up for the murder so that part was a bit fatiguing but it never drags after that.

81MRQ2FbBrL._AC_UY500_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

Dario Argento's Opera (1987) :up:

The best Argento thriller and horror movies are like a dream (or nightmare) operating on a dream's logic and that's certainly the case here and it was quite the journey from beginning to end. Suspiria is still tops though.

81eWepw0ZOL._AC_UY500_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

Dario Argento's The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (1970) :up::down

A pretty standard thriller lacking the extent of the style Argento applies to his later films.

Tales from the Crypt (1972) :down

Hasn't aged well. It's a collection of different stories of different characters that end up in the same place. The later TV series did some of these stories way better and here the pacing is weird.

News of the World (2020) :up:

A good and well-paced western and tale of survival as Hanks's Captain character goes on an adventure to return an orphan child to her remaining family. One of the better 2020 movies.

912IOpn0f9L._AC_UY500_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

See also: Top 10 of 2020

The Flash (1990 TV pilot movie)

I hadn't seen this since watching it on VHS as a standalone movie. It holds up pretty well, due in no small part to John Wesley Shipp's likeability as Barry Allen. He might not be a dead ringer for comics Barry, but he's credible as both superhero and general day-to-day good guy. Michael Nader (he would have made a great Batman; the look, voice, everything) on the other hand hams it up for all he's worth as main baddie Nicholas Pike, whilst Amanda Pays is solid as Star Labs techie Christina McGee, Paula Marshall makes a good (and extremely hot!) Iris West, and the always great Tim Thomerson is watchable as ever as Barry's older brother, Jay.

Tonally, The Flash is often compared to Tim Burton's Batman '89 (I half expected to see the Bat-signal in the opening shot of Central City); certainly, scenes at the jailhouse shootout reminded me of the Axis Chemicals firefight (including the police's first glimpse of the hero), and some later "You made me!" dialogue sounded familiar, all reinforced by Danny Elfman's main theme, and incidental music by Shirley Walker (a collaborator of Elfman's on Batman '89, and who would go on to score Batman: The Animated Series two years later). But watching it now I can also see a connection between some scenes (the villain's lair) and the Batman '66 show (as well as Joel Schumacher's subsequent Batman Forever). Some of the VFX understandably look crude by today's standards - but not all of them. And the suit still impresses (again, very Batman '89 influenced). At times the 'TV budget' is painfully obvious, but you can't really hold that against it.

I know Shipp reprised the role in recent years in the Arrowverse, but I would love to see a quick scene of Shipp's Flash, face-to-face with Keaton's Batman in the new Flash movie. Guess that's too much to hope for! 7/10

09b3d4fd3e42c8c403c43855f7246eb6.gif
ERAGON (2006)
Quality = 3/10
Joy = 4/10

It has some neat ideas like dragon vision and attachment magic, some stuff that make good ingredients for an enjoyable video game. It also has Jeremy Irons.

If I was a soldier and a bossy mage appreciates my craft work forging weapons to stab me in the foot with it and expects me to immediately hunt a guy for him he has no reason of knowing who or how he should know him, then I should gently tell the mage: "I'll be too busy focusing on my injured foot to finish the job, @r$3#0!3."

I think the writer of this garbage saw some Star Wars movies, Lord of the Rings, and Dragon Heart (just the first one with Sean Connery as the voice of the dragon blowing flaming snot out of his nostril), and decided to write some gibberish that seemed smart to him at the time.

*Reads description about the book this movie is based one*

So the original novel this movie was based on was published in 2002, so no LotR films influence on this source material, and the book had mixed reception, but it's apparently better than this crappy film adaption.

And there is a video game adaption of this film, but apparently it's another one of those garbage games using film license. I don't take that as a general rule cause you know X-Men Origins (PS3/XBox 360/PC) and Spider-Man 2 (PS2, GameCube, XBox) are at least ambitious and worthwhile for movie tie-in titles, Batman Begins has its charm too.

John Malkovich could have been an amazing Vulture, but he rejected Spider-Man 3 and accepted having short appearances here. At least him rejecting that role helped provide us with Michael Keaton as Vulture, bittersweet victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"